Thread: Movies from 2013 worth watching - A retrospective

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125

Movies from 2013 worth watching - A retrospective

an overview (incl. short comments) of movies from 2013 imo worth watching (includes movies from 2012 or earlier, whose scene dvdrips/bdrips got released in 2013) - due to another poor year regarding quality entertainment, a number of these entries are barely recommendable (ie. 'as good as it gets' this year)

action:

Jack Reacher (2012) the better one of the two t. cruise entries in this year's list

adventure:
    -

animated:

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2013) anime - average, not on the same level as the original series, perhaps good for newcomers to see what can be expected of the series

comedy:

The World's End (2013) unusual, s. pegg's almost one-man show, but, the second half deteriorates rapidly well into mediocrity
    Three Amigos (1986) simplistic old-school comedy, a comic take on the 7 samurai/magnificent 7 theme
    Untouchable (2011) (aka The Intouchables) unexpectedly fun/likeable comedy with elements of drama using an unusual topic/theme
    Without A Clue (1988) pretty good sherlock holmes parody

drama:

Lincoln (2012) just to see another competent d.d. lewis performance, otherwise a pretty dull/contrived movie
    Won't Back Down (2012) somewhat melodramatic but very decent drama

fantasy:

The Good Witch (2008) likeable light family entertainment, tv movie, fantasy/drama genre
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) just to see how p. jackson messed-up big time, a forced movie, unworthy of the lotr legacy, shamelessly exploiting the trilogy to the fullest - as expected, things didn't improve in part2 (desolation of smaug) either

fighting:

Ninja: Shadow of a Tear (2013) very decent b-movie, s. adkins shows plenty of his signature fighting moves (famous from: Undisputed 2 & 3)

horror:

Dark Skies (2013) quite creepy, good build-up, unfulfilling finale
    Hatchet III (2013) weakest part so far, unsatisfactory and repetitive gore
    Texas Chainsaw (2013) wasted potential, lazy sequel, average at best
    Wrong Turn (2003) remastered edition, still better than any horror made this year

other:

Living on One Dollar (2013) documentary
    TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away from Keyboard (2013) documentary - too much focus on the trial, some on the acteurs, very little on filesharing & the bigger picture

romance:
    -

SF:

After Earth (2013) just to see how will & jaden manage to take 'horrendous' to a whole new level (of painfully bad, that has to be seen to be believed)
    Oblivion (2013) enjoyable or even very good, though it does have many flawed/lazy/weak solutions

thriller:

Now You See Me (2013) UNBELIEVABLE but well packaged and mildly entertaining (all style, no substance)

western:
    -

related yearly threads:

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=30117
    http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=27989
    http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=23931
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (05.03.14) , Blocker (10.01.14) , Lucius (04.01.14) , crystal (04.01.14) , shadowww (03.01.14) , Snitlev (03.01.14) , ghostfucker (02.01.14) , yoco (02.01.14)

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Rush (2013)
    This is MUST see. A brilliant film in every respect.

Also, cheers slikrapid, nice to see you still around, going strong. All best in 2014.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

crystal (04.01.14) , slikrapid (03.01.14) , yoco (03.01.14)

P2P Client
    mRatio
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss566
    Well I wonder Prisoners is not in your list. The best movie I seen in last year. This is the best movie of Hugh Jackman's career until now. I believe so..
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (04.01.14) , yoco (03.01.14)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    I need to watch both movies Rush and Prisoners.
    My cousin said Prisoners is awesome, so I'm expecting much from it. Rush seems also very good!
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

DriftKing (03.01.14)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    *some spoilers ahead*

Quote Originally Posted by shadowww
    Rush (2013)
    This is MUST see. A brilliant film in every respect.
    dude...thats a bold statement there
    have to strongly disagree, imo its way too hyped-up, whereas what you get is: baby-face prancing around (his abilities are simply taken for granted), rat-face constantly nagging/complaining/pushing/nasal-ing (his part was actually the most interesting thing about the movie), fake & boring cgi cars/crashes/driving (watch any F1 race to notice the difference), shallow/brief/cheap personal relationships (no effort made, just mechanically adding scenes, weak/promotional female roles), forgettable dialogue (unless counting words like: rats or arseh*les) and so on - strange (or not) how its getting extremely positive reviews with so many inadequacies

Quote Originally Posted by DriftKing
    Well I wonder Prisoners is not in your list. The best movie I seen in last year. This is the best movie of Hugh Jackman's career until now.
    eh? its not on the list because its not that good?
    things like: unbelievable scenarios piling-up (the actual kidnapping scene/scenario/location, the kidnappers or their relationships/motivations, the way many clues got revealed - basically purely by chance, victims turning into abductors/tormentors of a pretty disturbing magnitude for average/cultured citizens, some mentally challenged individual not only dupes a supposedly first-rate & apparently highly focused detective but can also easily handle torture better than trained professionals and of course does kidnappings like a pro, wow what nonsense), rather annoying characters (slimy dano, bad-but-not-that-bad or as-bad-as-political-correctness-allows black couple, sleepwalking & bland detective uselessly dragging his feet around, deranged rampaging jackman, grandma-from-hell ownz jackman easily) - the good? hmm, maybe decent photography & a thick atmosphere of desperation

jackman had a strong/intense role there but doesn't he do the same with the majority of his roles?
    best movie of his career? i'd say that would be 'the movie with which his name is mostly associated with', so probably: x-men (his wolverine character is rather unique and memorable)
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

DriftKing (04.01.14)

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Yea well maybe I bit too much into the hype aswell. Movie has weaker points on visual front, racing scenes and CGI for today's standards, but story was good! And overall it surely deserves to get into one of best 2013. movies.
    Thanks

Good list and yes, Rush was one of the better movies in a very disappointing year for Quality movies.

Rush was all about Daniel Brühl (Nikki Lauda) though. Excellent performance from him, i expect him to at least gain an Oscar nomination for his performance.

Hobbit was cashing on the LOTR series but i personally found it very enjoyable and never had a dull moment, despite being nearly 3 hours long.

Man of Steel was a throughly enjoyable movie and arguably the best Superman movie i have witnessed (the lot to choose from isn't very impressive either, but nonetheless)

Olympus Has Fallen was also a good movie with not really a dull moment, in spite of being unrealistic in how it unfolds.

All in all, one of the worst years in recent memory with respect to quality movies.
    Last edited by crystal; 04.01.14 at 06:43.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (04.01.14)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    Man of Steel was a throughly enjoyable movie and arguably the best Superman movie i have witnessed (the lot to choose from isn't very impressive either, but nonetheless)
    the action was somewhat interesting (overall frenetic destruction/speed/rampage going on) with decent cgi, but it soon got repetitive/stale, seems that element was the only ace they had
    as for the rest, i thought it was very shallow & unsatisfactory, particularly the krypton scenes (r. crowe & co. with some embarrassing acting/dialogue/events), the young superman scenes (costner in a few awful scenes, discovering/using powers, cowardice/weakness/inactivity), the superman personality (it wasn't the 'old'/established superman, it was another person, someone called 'man of steel' with a different attitude/behavior/message, a twisted 'new age' superman if you like, for more info see the next link below), the fun factor (what fun? this was too serious, depressing, negative, show-off, ego-tripping,...), the new lois lane (interestingly, the old one was much more realistic as a pushy journalist, as opposed to this one doing silly things like assisting AI holograms on alien vessels), etc.

as for the best superman movies imo:

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...351#post312502

Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    Olympus Has Fallen was also a good movie with not really a dull moment, in spite of being unrealistic in how it unfolds.
    yeah well, 'unrealistic' would be a huge understatement here (similar to the 'White House Down (2013)' tripe), whats even worse: they were serious/intentional regarding the movie events and its propagandist agenda (supporting past/current/future usa wars on foreign territory, the 'war on terror' policy, warmongering, falsified terrorist threats,...)
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

crystal (06.01.14)

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssssss512
    good recommendations. your opinion is similar to my opinion about most movies. but i think there are movies deserve to be on the list comparing to what's already there. i will start downloading.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (05.01.14)

Rush, Jack Reacher and Prisoners are the best of this year, Isn't it strange that no one mentioned Gravity for Sandra ?
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Is Gravity really that good?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattah
    Isn't it strange that no one mentioned Gravity for Sandra ?
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    ...whose scene dvdrips/bdrips got released in 2013
    Gravity - expected release date: late february 2014

Quote Originally Posted by yoco
    i wouldn't bet on it, does a bullock one-woman-show almost-alone-in-space seem like an interesting movie?
    if nice visuals/cgi is the only major plus here then forget about it
    we'll see i guess...
    Thanks

21. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (05.01.14)

P2P Client
    mRatio
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss566
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    A movie about survive in space. Visual effect was good in 3D, but story was not good at all, but finally woth to watching one time.
    Last edited by DriftKing; 06.01.14 at 05:35.
    Thanks

23. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (11.01.14) , Lucius (07.01.14)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss58
    If you like war movies i recommend : Saving Private Ryan (1998) and Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    Last edited by Dragoon; 06.01.14 at 21:55.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1308
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    If you like war movies i recommend : Saving Private Ryan (1998) and Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    thread represent Movie worth watching in 2013...
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast