Thread: What blew my cover?

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28

What blew my cover?

I had got re-registered on thebox.bz with a new ip, username, e-mail and password I had been downloading for a few days and decided I would like to try and use my seedbox (a different box and provider not the one that got me banned last time) I sent a staff PM asking is it ok to use a seedbox and thanked them for having such a great site. (as I thought that is what some newbies would do) and carried on with other stuff. When I returned I was logged out and my IP was banned again.

I am back in now and am trying to figure out what gave me away obviously it was something to do with my seedbox request but how could that have given me away when any normal user could ask the same question (and would have to in order to be allowed to use one on thebox) all my information was different and I had not posted in the forums.

So any ideas?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39504
    Pretty mysterious. Just go to IRC and ask them. They may tell you something like "you're a X, and that's why you were banned. Get out". Everything before the comma is what you want to know.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

philiptorrent (03.02.11)

P2P Client
    BT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss3
    And please report back here; I'm very curious about this one.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Pretty mysterious. Just go to IRC and ask them. They may tell you something like "you're a X, and that's why you were banned. Get out". Everything before the comma is what you want to know.
    well it is not a issue now after this month I am dropping my seedbox and not just because of thebox but on XWT you have to do a workaround with firefox to get the seedbox to work and some of the torrent files are showing up as text files when the workaround is active so as the 2 sites I planned to use it with are either playing up or just flat out refusing to allow me to use one I don't see much point in keeping it around.

anyway I am hopefully getting fibre by the end of the year so the speed will be even less of an issue then.

Nice to know that as there is no obvious reason as to how my request got me discovered as long as I fly under the radar and don't have any direct communication with staff I should be ok.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thefeds View Post
    As this is my third account (and I already went to IRC when my first one got disabled and they did not want to listen and it is almost certain I will not get fairer hearing) so I am not prepared to take the chance that they might somehow permanently ban me (although their IP ban system is so rubbish I doubt it) but still why take the risk.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39504
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeds View Post
    Makes sense for "the feds" to be concerned about joining a piracy site.

Quote Originally Posted by philiptorrent View Post
    well it is not a issue now after this month I am dropping my seedbox and not just because of thebox but on XWT you have to do a workaround with firefox to get the seedbox to work and some of the torrent files are showing up as text files when the workaround is active so as the 2 sites I planned to use it with are either playing up or just flat out refusing to allow me to use one I don't see much point in keeping it around.
    My seedbox experiences are largely devoid of stuff like that.

Nice to know that as there is no obvious reason as to how my request got me discovered as long as I fly under the radar and don't have any direct communication with staff I should be ok.
    Actually I'd say it's a bad thing... since you don't really know why you were banned.

As this is my third account (and I already went to IRC when my first one got disabled and they did not want to listen and it is almost certain I will not get fairer hearing) so I am not prepared to take the chance that they might somehow permanently ban me (although their IP ban system is so rubbish I doubt it) but still why take the risk.
    That's up to you. What's the worst that could happen? They'll call you a cheater/duper and kick you out, maybe banning your IP as you mentioned, which can be easily evaded.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Actually I'd say it's a bad thing... since you don't really know why you were banned.

If I thought I would get a straight answer I would do it in a second but I did not when I asked what they meant by 5MB coming announces were unacceptable and when I asked them to be more specific they refused and as this involves specifics again I doubt they would tell me how they found out so while it is not a good thing it is probably something they would be very unwilling to reveal.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39504
    5MB coming announces were unacceptable
    They saw you or your box do 5MB/s a second on a torrent and thought you were cheating.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    They saw you or your box do 5MB/s a second on a torrent and thought you were cheating.
    5mb is a ban reason with a box?
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    The number is a guess but as I know they definitely said MB/s and five was the maximum my seedbox was seeding back on a single torrent at one point I am assuming that is the one that rised their attention

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    I just saw a thread in the forums today where someone was called a ratio whore (someone who is using a home connection) and he was politely asking for a apology and the guy who said it said he would be getting no apology and the reason for his rudeness is obvious he is a capper so no doubt he is elgible for thebox's mafia like protection where he will be protected from ever being pulled up or reprimanded for his rudeness.

This is another thing that makes me think it was my speed if they are alowing people to go around calling people ratio whores they obviously don't like people who make the most out of their uploading abilities.
    Last edited by philiptorrent; 04.02.11 at 02:43.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss328
    sorry not to be rude but why do you even bother to use such a crap tracker that think you cheat or whatever else reason cuz you got better connection
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Quote Originally Posted by mammamia11 View Post
    sorry not to be rude but why do you even bother to use such a crap tracker that think you cheat or whatever else reason cuz you got better connection
    Well I can assure you I am no longer there for the nice helpful community (as that is clearly a myth) I am only there for the exclusive content and nothing more and besides it is kind of a laugh to make a mockery of their banning system.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39504
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    Tracker staff know the seedbox IP ranges most of the time, but sometimes not. A friend from FST was banned on Apps.BitShock because he used his seedbox and the staff thought he was cheating.

I just saw a thread in the forums today where someone was called a ratio whore (someone who is using a home connection) and he was politely asking for a apology and the guy who said it said he would be getting no apology and the reason for his rudeness is obvious he is a capper so no doubt he is elgible for thebox's mafia like protection where he will be protected from ever being pulled up or reprimanded for his rudeness.
    Uploaders are expected to be "ratio whores". They're the initial seeder for many torrents, meaning their ratio doesn't go down when they upload them (because they got the files elsewhere, in this case capped from television), but it does increase when they upload (data) on them. Explaining that politely would have been a bit better than saying there'd be no apology, though.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Tracker staff know the seedbox IP ranges most of the time, but sometimes not. A friend from FST was banned on Apps.BitShock because he used his seedbox and the staff thought he was cheating.
    sure, i know of such examples myself but it's still silly
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread