+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alcatel Boosts Fiber Speed to 100 Petabits in Lab

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539

Alcatel Boosts Fiber Speed to 100 Petabits in Lab

Alcatel-Lucent today said that scientists at Bell Labs have set an optical transmission record that could deliver data about 10 times faster than current undersea cables, resulting in speeds of more than 100 Petabits per second.kilometer. A petawhat? This translates to the equivalent of about 100 million Gigabits per second.kilometer or sending about 400 DVDs per second over 7,000 kilometers, roughly the distance between Paris and Chicago.
    Alcatel Boosts Fiber Speed to 100 Petabits in Lab
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

kelly (09.10.09) , SBcheater (02.10.09) , Nobody (02.10.09) , Mihai (01.10.09) , slikrapid (01.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    impressive speeds, yet i imagine the costs of such network/equipment would be nonetheless equally impressive

a comment on marketing speed calculation:

The combination of speed multiplied by distance expressed as bit per second.kilometers is a standard measure for high-speed optical transmission.”

It’s a stupid marketing misrepresentation of a standard measure of data transmission speed – bits per second. Bits per kilometer.second metric is retarded. The only significant mention of a distance would be the distance between two optical amplifiers, which in this case were spaced 90 kilometers apart. 15.5Tbps over this distance is impressive, but please don’t give us that “speed of 100 Petabits” crap.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    Holly shit.Those speeds are huge.At the begining not everyone will aford such speeds but in a couple of years we will be amazed.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss13
    Since my striped hard drives are only capable of writing at 60 Megs a second, the greatest capacity line I could possibly use would be about 550Mbits.

Also it's not really about "speed", it's about "capacity". I got a letter from my phone company telling me they were increasing the speed of my phone line a month ago. I rang them up and asked how they were planning to boost the speed of the broadband signals past the speed that physics dictates they can go along a twisted copper pair, and they didn't understand.

Perhaps I'm too much of a geek sometimes...
    Last edited by knivestv; 01.10.09 at 17:05.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss205
    I don't think you guys are understanding what the post was about.

You don't have that pipe going in to your home, it's about how awesome the increase to global internet infrastructure would be.

Maybe we can finally get some decent pings on games hosted in other countries. But I doubt it.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277
    oh my God that's an incredible speed this experiment also forecast the future of Internet where standard peers will be transmitting data with the speed in TB/s , I wish I could see that happen someday.
    Last edited by SBcheater; 02.10.09 at 08:17.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I don't think you guys are understanding what the post was about.

You don't have that pipe going in to your home, it's about how awesome the increase to global internet infrastructure would be.
    and no one was claiming that

this test was experimental and it would take quite a few years for it to get practical implementation (ISP), let alone to become a standard; but considering the costs involved or a relatively slow increase in broadband speed worldwide (ISPs trying to cash in on it as much as they can before upgrading, with honorable exceptions ofc), not to mention the shameful levels of current upload speeds

Maybe we can finally get some decent pings on games hosted in other countries.
    and how does this relate to the article??

where standard peers will be transmitting data with the speed in TB/s , I wish I could see that happen someday
    same here
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss205
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    and no one was claiming that
    "Those speeds are huge.At the begining not everyone will aford such speeds..." implies that the person wants the connection at home.

"Since my striped hard drives..." implies that pipe is going in to his home.

Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    and how does this relate to the article??
    Man. The internet is serious business these days. Either way, I'm guessing there's a language barrier here. I think we're on the same wavelength slik.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    implies that the person wants the connection at home.
    true, i would say it reflects wishes & a bit of daydreaming with a pinch of hope towards future home bandwidth speeds

"Since my striped hard drives..." implies that pipe is going in to his home.
    actually he states the factual situation that no matter how fast the connection might be there is a certain limit considering his hard drives maximum speed

still i'm pretty sure they understood the article, since no one directly implied it would go to their home, they just speculated on what it would be like if (and when) it would, years from now

I'm guessing there's a language barrier here. I think we're on the same wavelength slik.
    probably just a few nuances of misinterpretation
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread