+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SMPlayer

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480

SMPlayer

SMPlayer is a complete media player for Windows and Linux. It uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine which is capable of playing most video and audio formats (avi, mkv, wmv, mp4, mpeg... see list). It uses its own codecs, so you don't need to install any codec packs.
    SMPlayer - Opensource Media Player

Recently, MPC-HC started giving me problems (CPU usage went to 100% after a few minutes of playback no matter what, until closed), so I began looking for an alternative. I found Splash Pro, but it doesn't support FLV and you can only associate files with it during installation.

Eventually I found this. It works fine, supports a ton of formats (if you choose to download the binary codecs), and resource usage is very low. YouTube support, while somewhat of a gimmick, is cool too. So I thought I'd share it here. If anyone needs help setting it up to use the CoreAVC decoder, let me know.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Mihai (19.12.12) , cheatos (14.12.12) , yoco (14.12.12) , Snitlev (14.12.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I think I tried this player at one point, though I can't recall when or even for how long I had it at the time. Interesting that it supports Linux as well which is a good thing considering that many developers are beginning to conclude to. And if they haven't concluded it already, they should. Windows isn't the only OS on the planet. Just about every distro I've come across and used have their own media player packaged. For example, the guayadeque player for Peppermint Ice has an incredible amount of controls available for it's user. Even an equalizer which, speaking for myself only, I can't do without. Ever.

Anyways, Back on topic. In my opinion, having a YT browser is just bloatware. Speaking for myself only again, I couldn't care less for downloading YT vids. If I wanted to do that, I'd get an extension or a script to do it for me. Way less space used for a program when installing one. And having a subtitle delay and adjustment mechanism is pretty much essential I've found. At least this one has one so that's decent at least.
    Last edited by SealLion; 14.12.12 at 06:49.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

SMPlayer is my player of choice on any Linux distribution.I usually configure mplayer so it's using hardware acceleration and then start throwing video files at that sucker like there is no tomorrow.

Regarding CoreAVC you could try using a different mplayer build.
    Kovensky's MPlayer for Windows
    Thanks

Instead of using SMPlayer why not try PotPlayer? As I recomended you MPC-HC Lite maybe you;ll like this one too. If you listen to my opinion, I find that:
    1. MPC-HC
    2. PotPlayer

Are the best at the moment. I have to admit that I haven't used SMPlayer but if you like it that's fine.

And yes, I know about the bug. Happened to me many times but only when the movies repeated itself (setting: repeat always...)

There is also another fork of MPC-HC named MPC-BE. Maybe your problem is solved already.
    Media Player Classic - BE is a free and open source audio and video player for Windows.
    MPC-BE is based on the original "Media Player Classic" project (Gabest) and "Media Player Classic Home Cinema" project (Casimir666), contains additional features and bug fixes.
    @anon I read the PM. I'll send it to you but I'm having some trouble with one of my HDD and can't really do it right now.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 15.12.12 at 00:49.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

anon (15.12.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    You know I was somewhat pleasantly surprised to see SMPlayer in the Software Mgr within Peppermint OS. I didn't install it or anything, just noticed it. I'm trying to keep my OS small without a bunch of other programs that are already doing the same thing as the default ones. Still at 55 MB it's not that big though.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    Quote Originally Posted by SBfreak View Post
    SMPlayer is my player of choice on any Linux distribution.I usually configure mplayer so it's using hardware acceleration and then start throwing video files at that sucker like there is no tomorrow.
    Me too. Loved it since I got Mint. That crazy player can do about everything. I didn't know there is a windows version so I'm getting it now.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480
    I tried the matrixview and caca video output drivers yesterday (the latter in a command prompt window) - crazy stuff!

Apparently mplayer even supports this, although I suppose the hardware is hard to find
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

SBfreak (21.12.12)

+ Reply to Thread