Thread: CG to go Gazelle

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

CG to go Gazelle

I was on Cinemageddon not long ago and I saw this on the home front:

........ and that means that fairly soon CG's good old-fashioned codebase with its thousands of html rendering errors will be replaced by the shiny new project gazelle.....
    Lots of trackers are going Gazelle now that I've noticed. Not just music sites like Libble. com, but some movie sites too obviously.

Personnally, I like the Gazelle look. Looks nice.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

anon (09.12.08)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss205
    Does Gazelle come with any anti-cheat scripts built in that we should be wary of--or is it just a tracker frontend?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    @SealLion: thanks for the news. I'm personally more used to TBDev's layout, although Gazelle has more features and is just as easy to browse when you get the hold of it. And if it's more effective to the tracker's server in terms of speed/resource usage/bandwidth/etc. that's even better

@Nobody: as far as I know Gazelle itself is just a tracker script. However, I have found this interesting quote from its developer team:
    Some of our tools, such as cheater evasion, will not be included in the public version of the source, for obvious reasons.
    It's also possible that CG has updated their anti-cheat protection along the codebase. We'll have to be a bit more careful for now when cheating there.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    @Anon: Anti-Cheat scripts are all fine and dandy, I'm sure you know.
    I honestly don't think that cheat scripts are all cut out what pple are say they are. REally, I'm sure that you know it mostly depends on the coder's skill in being able to costruct an anti-cheat script into the tracker's front end.

Its the coder's skill in being able to beat those scripts thats the real test, yes??

Look at all the tracker's that have gazelle. ONe can cheat on them like there's no tommorrow. Hell. I do. At least a good majority of the time I do.

An update to the front end may be, ...could be, ...possibly be,...in the works, but I really believe its all hype. Wel...perhaps with respect to the boasting of some of the tracker admins.

There's about a gaz-illion cheat mods out there. Some pple still use RM. They'll get caught of course.

IMHO, one gets caught becuase of the wrong client, tool, mod, ....etc...etc.. being used.
    I'm sure it all depends also on how skillful one is in the element of controlling one's greed, yes??
    I mean.... Look at me. Greedy like hell. Greedy like there's no tommorrow for me. And I still survive.
    Anti cheat scripts are one thing, skill is another. I know you know this.

Did you know that way back when-ever, on the old Moofdev forums, Mr. RM used his RM spoof tool to cheat on Oink, when it was still around.
    He didn't get caught. He spoofed at a really low upload rate.

Moral of the story: Skill.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    @Anon: Anti-Cheat scripts are all fine and dandy, I'm sure you know.
    I honestly don't think that cheat scripts are all cut out what pple are say they are. REally, I'm sure that you know it mostly depends on the coder's skill in being able to costruct an anti-cheat script into the tracker's front end.

Its the coder's skill in being able to beat those scripts thats the real test, yes??

Look at all the tracker's that have gazelle. ONe can cheat on them like there's no tommorrow. Hell. I do. At least a good majority of the time I do.
    You're right - how good an anti-cheat script is relies completely on its coder's skill. But scripts just make it harder to cheat at their tracker - they don't prevent cheating on its entirety, and attempts at doing so only seem to make things worse - HDBits' scripts have banned more than one non-cheater because of their aggresivity. OiNK was still cheatable - you just had to be really careful. What.cd also uses Gazelle, and has recently leaped 3 levels in the trackers' anti-cheat security list, but it's still possible to build a GB-sized buffer in some days with the correct torrent, tool, and fake speed.

An update to the front end may be, ...could be, ...possibly be,...in the works, but I really believe its all hype. Wel...perhaps with respect to the boasting of some of the tracker admins.
    Heh, yes, that's correct, and one of the points of my post. You can never know if a new shiny tracker interface is all the server updates will bring...

There's about a gaz-illion cheat mods out there. Some pple still use RM. They'll get caught of course.
    Most likely.

IMHO, one gets caught becuase of the wrong client, tool, mod, ....etc...etc.. being used.
    I'm sure it all depends also on how skillful one is in the element of controlling one's greed, yes??
    I mean.... Look at me. Greedy like hell. Greedy like there's no tommorrow for me. And I still survive.
    Anti cheat scripts are one thing, skill is another. I know you know this.
    That's correct. You need to be skilled, and know what you're doing. Although you can't always be super-greedy like you, specially at the higher-level trackers

Did you know that way back when-ever, on the old Moofdev forums, Mr. RM used his RM spoof tool to cheat on Oink, when it was still around.
    He didn't get caught. He spoofed at a really low upload rate.

Moral of the story: Skill.
    That's really interesting, considering OiNK had the best scripts ever - you'd think that the lowly RM would have been banned on sight there. Although perhaps he made that attempt when the trackers' anti-cheat protection wasn't that good (if there has ever been such a stage on OiNK's history, I don't know this because I wasn't a member there), who knows - and it was of course possible to use the Shu Mod there if you were careful anyway.

Or it could have simply been a "publicity stunt" for everyone to use Moofdev's tool
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Or it could have simply been a "publicity stunt" for everyone to use Moofdev's tool
    Now that you mentioned that Anon, that could very well have been. Who knows though. He's probably somewhere right now having some seaside tequila topped of with a nice big juicy green lime along with it.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    He's probably somewhere right now having some seaside tequila topped of with a nice big juicy green lime along with it.
    Not for long, I think. Both OiNK and his tool are dead
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread