+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is why you must pick a good power supply.

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39719

Exclamation This is why you must pick a good power supply.

Some people think a power supply is "just" a supply, and that you're fine with whatever you choose as long as you give yourself some breathing room with the maximum wattage. Well, watch those no-name ones pop and do fireworks at just two thirds of their alleged maximum load, then get back to me.

For your mobile phone, a charger isn't "just" a changer either: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssssss522
    Happened with me like 2-3 times until I wasted some money on powerful one due the power dropping off in my area too many times.
    Thanks

My system takes a maximum of 450W or so and I'm using 750W Seasonic.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2076
    I once bought a Seventeam 550w "real" PSU and some time later, 1 year I think, it blew while I was gaming, I heard something blast inside the PC case like a lamp glass breaking. The PSU never worked again, the warranty was overdue and couldn't find a technician who could do service on it.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM-P
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss714
    I'm super-happy with my Enermax Platimax 850W

Before I used a cheap PSU...and destroyed it while I did some OC (CPU+GPU). With Platimax all stable.

This account has been disabled
    Reason: Fake upload

Do NOT cheat. This involves; ghost leeching, spoofing and/or use of a modified client in anyway. If you, or anyone on your IP/server is found to be cheating then ALL users on that IP will be disabled.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 9/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss76
    yeah right.And a friend was joking that its not like i have a secret lab in my room (like Dexter) and need all that much power.Better safe than sorry with a big enough power supply.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 11/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss10
    It always better to have a few more Watts then needed. Also when you want to upgrade your hardware some day.
    Thanks

It always better to have a few more Watts then needed. Also when you want to upgrade your hardware some day.
    Depends.

If you have money, it is best to just replace the whole system every 2 years.
    If you are poor, then it is best to buy hardware that allows you to upgrade.

it all comes down to money. Overclock was always the poor man's choice, as well as upgrades.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39719
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    If you have money, it is best to just replace the whole system every 2 years.
    If you are poor, then it is best to buy hardware that allows you to upgrade.
    And if you're poorer, you take what you can get.

Free computers - Everything2.com
    Getting free computer parts - Everything2.com
    dumpster diving for computers - Everything2.com
    Thanks

Die Wahl eines guten Netzteils ist entscheidend. Ein Mangel an Qualität kann zu Ausfällen und Sicherheitsrisiken führen. Geben Sie sich nicht mit No-Name-Marken zufrieden; Investieren Sie in zuverlässige Geräte, um eine gleichbleibende Leistung und Sicherheit zu gewährleisten.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qbit
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 3/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss62
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    And if you're poorer, you take what you can get.
    Getting free computer parts - Everything2.com
    Stumbled upon this, this everything2 idea sounds too good to be true, but then it was 16 years ago, I dont think OEMs are doing this anymore. They just ask you to bring it to their service center or ship it and thats that
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39719
    If you have a dead item of the same brand and model, you may still be able to "return" it for repair and effectively get two for the price of one... but a good way to get your hands on lots of goodies quickly and easily is to volunteer at an e-waste recycling point. Most of it will be broken or dismantled, but people throw away perfectly functional items simply because they don't need them anymore, particularly cell phones. And as anyone who has done computer repair can tell you, many customers drop off laptops or PC towers and never pick them up again despite multiple contact attempts (but check what your local laws say about abandoned property before appropriating them).

Companies that replace their equipment often sell their old stuff for dirt cheap or simply dump it. You'll need a tip-off to know when and where, but it's worth it. Keep in mind laptops and motherboards obtained in this manner may have anti-theft measures at the firmware level that no one cared to turn off before decommissioning. And in some countries, police auctions are also a thing.

Post written by my inner raccoon.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

Rupel89yt (02.09.24)

P2P Client
    qbit
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 3/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss62
    Two for 1 is a good idea, but more often than not atleast where I leave things are checked with their serial no rather thanjust ordered or not, and as such even harddisks sometimes are a pain.

No e-waste plants here, but regardless a good idea for someone whos country has one. I always here about these places and they sound like gold mines, partly because smartphones do have ~some amount of gold, not sure but heard about it.

Company dumps do sound like something maybe I can look into.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Post written by my inner raccoon.
    Racoon seems to have done its fair share of work in this.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39719
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupel89yt View Post
    where I leave things are checked with their serial no rather thanjust ordered or not
    They obviously saw it coming I've only done this with small things. Warranties and replacements are usually outsourced - a lot of the waiting involved is just for transporting there and back - so I guess success rates depend a lot on the work ethics of the contractor your stuff landed on.

smartphones do have ~some amount of gold, not sure but heard about it.
    All microchips have gold on them, but the amount is tiny (around 0.30 USD at current prices) and not worth the costs of extraction unless you have a mountain of dead smartphones. Copper and scrap metal will give you more bang for your buck.

Racoon seems to have done its fair share of work in this.
    We get by.

Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss334
    i only had one truble with a psu that caused elecricity fault in the hole house, the big main fuse went off. just get one with better quality that not cost 40 dollar or less :)
    Edit: some countries have problem with electricity, it can be dropped down from 230 volt or get a voltage spike cause the PSU to faile, to avoid that just buy a voltage protector
    Last edited by mammamia11; 07.09.24 at 09:45.
    When you get to hell, tell em' Duke sent ya
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

anon (07.09.24)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast