+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 392 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 5880

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    In case anyone saw those #PrayForArgentina posts on Twitter or elsewhere: we are fine, there weren't any attacks, it's a stupid joke made by two brothers using Google Translate and old photographs. Law enforcement took it very seriously, though, as they were raided and arrested by police and a counter-terrorist task force.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (01.08.16)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Law enforcement took it very seriously, though, as they were raided and arrested by police and a counter-terrorist task force.
    when public jokes result with law enforcement raids, it should be obvious how the law enforcement is out-of-touch with what is happening out there - notice how people will tend to criticize those who started the joke, while forgetting to criticize the way the law enforcement used excessive force or did not research the incident before they made their move - the joke incident tells us something about our own intolerance levels
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    These guys tweeted a picture of a bomb and "we shall meet soon" in Arabic to the President, and then a picture of the Buenos Aires subway and a statement about how they were ready to "fulfill [their] mission" (among many other similar messages). I see no fault with the immediate reaction. It's what they do here onwards that will indicate if they're out of touch as you say or not.

This country already has a wrecked economy, corruption and regular crime to worry about - we don't need to add terrorism to the list
    Thanks

anon, this damn new fashion of the world (terrorism) is a disaster and I hope your and everybody's country still safe.
    This is not ISIS's way of doing things, usually they do then show up !!

I will make the vem client for you really soon. tonight or tomorrow morning.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.07.16)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    This country already has a wrecked economy, corruption and regular crime to worry about - we don't need to add terrorism to the list
    Oh man, Argentina is really beautiful and the steaks are world-class. Just mouth watering yum!
    After they liberated the Peso, did people return to using the Blue Rate or it's dead for ever now?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Oh man, Argentina is really beautiful and the steaks are world-class. Just mouth watering yum!
    Steak + fries = win

After they liberated the Peso, did people return to using the Blue Rate or it's dead for ever now?
    It is less relevant, but has existed way before the 2011 exchange controls and will continue to, as it still matters to those who want to keep dollar trading off the grid. It's currently ~25 cents lower than the official rate.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7979
    I love steaks! I'm hungry now
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius
    this damn new fashion of the world (terrorism) is a disaster
    which is not unusual in the age of ignorance, where humanity (or parts of it) jump(s) from one blunder to the next, from one disastrous scenario to the next (but still call themselves highly developed or modern or advanced as societies or individuals)

I see no fault with the immediate reaction. It's what they do here onwards that will indicate if they're out of touch as you say or not.
    if the force cannot differentiate between a realistic threat and a prank/joke, or if they decide to respond in the same way in both assessment scenarios, then their approach leaves much to be desired

well, lets say that 90% of the attacks are staged (like 9/11) or supported (like isis) by foreign intelligence agencies and the rest is done by various extremists, so the question is in 90% of the cases: does argentina have something valuable enough to become a target or is it interesting enough to play the guinea pig

also, would a corrupt (local) government/force deal with it in non-corrupt ways, especially in large-scale scenarios? not to mention how asking them to implement additional safety measures or to increase their powers in various never-ending 'wars against _______' (fill in the blank) is like inviting the fox to the henhouse
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (02.08.16)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    if the force cannot differentiate between a realistic threat and a prank/joke, or if they decide to respond in the same way in both assessment scenarios, then their approach leaves much to be desired
    You can't turn back time if you dismiss the threats as a joke and it later turns out they were serious. That's why all of must be taken seriously unless there's powerful evidence to the contrary, which there wasn't here.

well, lets say that 90% of the attacks are staged (like 9/11) or supported (like isis) by foreign intelligence agencies and the rest is done by various extremists, so the question is in 90% of the cases: does argentina have something valuable enough to become a target or is it interesting enough to play the guinea pig
    What makes you think ISIS is backed by foreign powers? I think they're just nutcases carrying the "flag" of Islam to justify their violence and business deals, just like they could use that of Barney the Dinosaur (last time I checked, the Qur'an forbid "surprise" bombings and massacring non-combatants). But then again, bin Laden received training from the US military, so.

As for whether Argentina is valuable enough for "first-world interests": probably not, and if I'm wrong, our new president is so chummy with the US government they can probably get what they want through diplomatic means.

also, would a corrupt (local) government/force deal with it in non-corrupt ways, especially in large-scale scenarios? not to mention how asking them to implement additional safety measures or to increase their powers in various never-ending 'wars against _______' (fill in the blank) is like inviting the fox to the henhouse
    Waging war on common nouns is the best way to ensure they'll go on forever. Thank goodness the government chose to stay out of the US-led war on terror back in '03.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    "plzz tell safest trik by whch i can easily increase ma upload?plzz help" -- arka_cy, 2009
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    ^ It's human nature. The average IQ is 100, which means half the people have an IQ less than 100. So I try to be kind to them and understand that's the best they have.
    Thanks

So today I've done the following:
    • the floppies from HDD regenerator did not work because they used a wrong setting in himem.sys that did not load on systems with more than 8GB of ram. corrected that, now works on 16GB plus
    • edited the autorun.inf on my drives so that windows will never look inside them, wasting time scanning
    • made myself an automated batch password removal for windows via trustedinstaller token
    • made a super win 98 floppy with the lastes xmem ramdisk driver in 3 variants: usb, cd and floppy image. for some reason DVDs do not work with MS-DOS
    • extracted all driver stores from windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. if I ever encounter an windows os without a working keyboard/mouse driver, this will be used for reinstall and overwrite.
    • learned and test the best way to remove all drivers in windows os: sysprep.exe /generalize
    Last edited by Master Razor; 03.08.16 at 19:36.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39527
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    ^ It's human nature. The average IQ is 100, which means half the people have an IQ less than 100. So I try to be kind to them and understand that's the best they have.
    There's always a human being on the other side of the screen... but sometimes it makes you wonder.

Also, I'm currently addicted to this city map that shows you old photographs of all buildings. My house hasn't changed much in the last twenty years, but there are some places where you'd never guess something completely different stood there in the past.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    You can't turn back time if you dismiss the threats as a joke and it later turns out they were serious.
    you can't turn back time no matter what you decide to do
    as for the rest i'll have to quote myself:

the law enforcement used excessive force or did not research the incident before they made their move
    ie. a half-decent research to show that there was no need to overreact, a simple interrogation to clear the matter, a due process and press release (serious enough, no?), as opposed to counter-t3rrorist forces storming in, lol

besides, thats how totalitarianism grows: extreme measures are first applied to things many may agree with and then expanded onto a lot of other things, previously thought of as rather benign, add in displeased people looking for scapegoats or someone to blame for their miseries, etc.

What makes you think ISIS is backed by foreign powers?
    what makes you think they would let an opportunity like that slip through their (ever greedy) hands?

I think they're just nutcases
    nutcases cannot control themselves, let alone an organization

last time I checked, the Qur'an forbid...
    are you sure those who translated it also interpreted it correctly?
    the same question applies to religious t3rrorists or any other reader regarding their own interpretation of the things they read

Thank goodness the government chose to stay out of the US-led war on terror back in '03.
    our new president is so chummy with the US government they can probably get what they want through diplomatic means.
    in other words, if they start asking, he'll be glad to comply

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy
    The average IQ is 100, which means half the people have an IQ less than 100. So I try to be kind to them and understand that's the best they have.
    actually, the majority is very close to the average (bell curve), whereas the minority has both (very) high as well as (very) low scores
    however, the way IQ is tested/interpreted is rather laughable, but thats another story
    and lets also mention that high IQ is not needed, common sense suffices (where 'common' probably includes average IQ as well, hehe)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    actually, the majority is very close to the average (bell curve), whereas the minority has both (very) high as well as (very) low scores
    From my own observation of how the majority of people in the world behave, common sense is rare, and an IQ of 100 is laughable.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 392 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast