P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761

Question about External HDD to TV

Hi Buddy's
    i have one question that is bugging me..since my USB stick that i have used to watch movies on my TV give's me problems from time to time i was thinking to buy an external HDD to replace my USB ..the question is ...do you think that a HDD external drive can be hooked up to a Plasma TV trough a USB port without problems ? anybody tried ? ..i'm confussed if will work because from what i have read external HDD require drive installs when you hook up on pc ..on plasma TV i think i can't install drivers

ofcourse i know that i have to buy a HDD external with external power supply not implemented in USB port but beside that i don't know if will work
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    For now you know that Pen drives are supported. When I brought myself an LED TV from LG (2 year's back) I was told that only Pen drives till max 32GB were supported. But well to my surprise as when I tried connecting ex_hdd(3.5) from brands like Seagate and Buffalo even though as big as 2TB were working smooth. I didn't even need to change the disk format to something like FAT32 cause NTFS just work without any problem.[Sony P$3 are you listening ]

Only problem lies when you play some strange MKV files and whole ripped DVD files, these just can't be played other than that most video formats work fine. Not all video formats will work properly it mostly depends on the company Toshiba, LG's have little restrictions here but brands like Sony, Samsung have limited video options supported when connected to a TV's USB Port.

--Which brand is your TV along with the Model#?
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    thanks for information buddy
    my tv brand is a Plasma LG, 127cm, HD Ready, 50PT353/351 until now i have used'it with a flash pen 32GB and worked great but right now |today| my flash pen crashed - don't appear in my computer or in my TV ..it's the second one crashed ..i'm planning to buy an Western Digital My Book Essential 3.0 2TB with USB 3.0 and 2.0 slots..individual power supply ... but i was worried that will require driver install or something that i can't do on a TV to work but i was a lil bit relaxed when i have read this
    But well to my surprise as when I tried connecting ex_hdd(3.5) from brands like Seagate and Buffalo even though as big as 2TB were working smooth. I didn't even need to change the disk format to something like FAT32 cause NTFS just work without any problem.[Sony P$3 are you listening ]
    i'm planning it will be possible to connect the USB 3.0 PC <-> external HDD and usb 2.0 External HDD -> TV - wishfull thinking

about the MKV filles i never had problems with them ...my surprise was when i tried to play something in HD 720p MKV and TV succesfully managed to encode / read without any problems..
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10 View Post
    thanks for information buddy
    i'm planning it will be possible to connect the USB 3.0 PC <-> external HDD and usb 2.0 External HDD -> TV - wishfull thinking
    Definitely.
    usb 2.0 Ex_HDD to TV should be a success.

ps: But don't buy a HDD more than 2TB since there have been reports of failing to detect.

about the MKV filles i never had problems with them ...my surprise was when i tried to play something in HD 720p MKV and TV succesfully managed to encode / read without any problems..
    You must be lucky. Nevertheless I'll let you know the formats that fail later.

Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7979
    I have a 3 years old Samsung LCD TV and in guideline it says that supports External HDD, but to be honest I've never tried it. I have 32GB usb key and I copy movies, TV shows, anime on it when I wanna watch it on tv.
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    never read my tv manual ..but i will look around ...i started to hate using usb keys..because they crash very fast ..i had 2 on 32Gb first one last 3 month ..second one 11 month..after that when i insert the usb key in pc or TV - nothing happens ..used them like you on copy movies, TV shows only
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7979
    What brand are they? I have one Verbatim 32GB, a few months old and one Knigston 16GB, i think i got like 2 or 3 years ago.
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    First was a kingston dataTraveler 100 G2 and the second A-DATA C905..maybe you are lucky...with my first one i don't know what really happend but i think i removed him without right click safely remove usb storage ..the second one..i formated in NTFS and started to move some files to him..after 50% transfer completion just gived me windows explorer crash error ..after that never appeared again on my pc..now i have only a 8 GB - 6 movies and it's done
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7979
    First was a kingston dataTraveler 100 G2 and the second A-DATA C905..maybe you are lucky...with my first one i don't know what really happend but i think i removed him without right click safely remove usb storage
    That's what I used to do to my, now dead, 1TB HDD. Died in less than a year.

..the second one..i formated in NTFS and started to move some files to him..after 50% transfer completion just gived me windows explorer crash error ..after that never appeared again on my pc..now i have only a 8 GB - 6 movies and it's done
    Did you try any software for copying to your USB key? I use burst copy. I've had problem as well, every time I would copy a large file(s) after a few minutes it would just completely freeze and I'd have to do a hard reset. Never happened that since using burst copy.
    Last edited by yoco; 14.12.12 at 23:44.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    I'm using my Segate 2TB HDD since 2.5years and still working smooth. Maybe because I always made a point to "eject the disk" from the menu's and then unplug.

Did you try any software for copying to your USB key? I use burst copy. I've had problem as well, every time I would copy a large file(s) after a few minutes it would just completely freeze and I'd have to do a hard reset. Never happened that since using burst copy.
    Its a known issue the HDD goes to sleep mode or something similar relating to Power Settings, don't know about other drives but Segate drives regulate the drive going into power saving mode there by causing it to standby/freeze.

In case if anyone has Seagate install "Seagate Manager":
    Code:
    Under "My Drives", "settings" button, I clicked on ""Adjust Power Settings"
    Under the power-saving mode frequency to "Never"
    ps: Easy trick try to use the drive when you transfer something onto it, which will keep the drive state to active and won;t enter into sleep mode.

Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (15.12.12)

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    problem is that i have done that just once ..and crashed

tried some..for A-data they have an online software to fix-recover..tried..but received a message that i can't recover..contact support..i think USB was burned ..on the kingston did'nt find software..the thing with kingston is that USB stick appear in my PC but appear like a usb stick after you click safely eject disk drive ..the blurred icon..when i click on it..it says no device .insert disk ..

Its a known issue the HDD goes to sleep mode or something similar relating to Power Settings, don't know about other drives but Segate drives regulate the drive going into power saving mode there by causing it to standby/freeze.
    i don't know..maybe ..because until the windows explorer error..my system was working very slow ..like 100% HDD capacity running..but i have a Western digital caviar blue 1 TB internal HDD and system power is setted on High Performance by my mainboard ASUS M4a89gtd PRO

by the way..i still have warranty on my usb sticks ...the problem is that on warranty the shop require original cases and accessorie for components ..and on usb i think nobody keeps the plastic cover..the thing is i wonder if they will still change my usb sticks
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7979
    problem is that i have done that just once ..and crashed

Seriously just once? Must be something wrong with the USB stick then!
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    from what i recall ..yes only once..and i don't even know if it was because of this..most of the time happens when transfers are interrupted
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    2/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1761
    finally has arrived ...i bought a seagate backup plus ..it's working great with my TV
    thanks very much for the support buddy's
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    knew it would work out for you. Enjoy your movies