Release Date: September 9, 2011
    Studio: Bubble Distribution
    Director: Fred Andrews
    Writers: Tracy Morse, Fred Andrews
    Starring: Serinda Swan, Mehcad Brooks, Pruitt Taylor Vince and Sid Haig
    Genre: Horror
    MPAA Rating: Not yet rated
    Plot Summary:
    In the back country of Louisiana, a group of friends unearth a terrible secret that unleashes a monster from the depths of the swamp.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (13.07.11) , SealLion (12.07.11) , Snitlev (11.07.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Let me guess. It's either a rebirth of the Blair Witch Project without the ridiculous emphasis of the self-camera shots, or it could be an over-sized Goblin that's rumored to be going around the swamps down there ( from what I hear anyways) or maybe a mutant man, kind of like that one film about a group of women going caving and finding mutant men and women (can't recall the name at the moment, hopefully you'll understand which one though) , or maybe about the Honey Island swamp monster that's also rumored to be out and about laughing it up. Basically any of the kinds of monsters that are always rumored to be out and about late at night is what this film must take it's origin and exploration of.

Nevertheless, it might be a good Friday night watch.
    Last edited by SealLion; 12.07.11 at 02:45.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @SealLion:

It's either a rebirth of the Blair Witch Project without the ridiculous emphasis of the self-camera shots,
    can't be that, blair witch was all about those camera shots

kind of like that one film about a group of women going caving and finding mutant men and women (can't recall the name at the moment, hopefully you'll understand which one though)
    that would be 'The Descent' 1 and 2

...i'd say its something the 'clown' (Sid Haig) conjured up to deal with the nosy 'fresh meat' entering the swamp

Basically any of the kinds of monsters that are always rumored to be out and about late at night is what this film must take it's origin and exploration of.
    fear of the dark/unknown/subconscious is what fuels those stories & movies (at least as the primordial origin, exploitation/fabrication would be something else)

what seems troublesome here is primarily the camera-work (too ADD), low budget effects, likely a lack of imagination (not to mention the worn-out basics of the story), no need to even bother mentioning the acting, eh?
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (13.07.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I take it that the worn out basics of this story might be the regular blood and gore affiliation, yes??

That's more or less, I think, pretty much in every kind of horror flick. However, you couldn't have a blood and gore horror without all the gore in it. That's pretty much the only kind of imagination that I think most horror producers can institute into their films even though it might involve, lets say some mystical or historical element into it. Either way, there's still going to be blood and gore. What I, myself, find really crazy though is that it's a group of young campers (aimed at the younger viewing crowd) that supposed, 'unearth' an ungodly monster. And if you look at some of the history within that region, you'll notice that there's a plethora of mystical monsters that have made their mark upon the locals. The history of this film, for all we know, might have some kind of affiliation towards that.

That is, to explain the mystical or historically reported or mythical or legendary creature(s) reported in one way or another, whether they've been a complete fabrication, unexplained mystery, or even (as I believe) an incorrectly identified animal or some sort or even a complete mental fabrication inside of one's mind because somewhere along the line someone, somewhere in history thought that they saw something that resembled a creature and then told everyone else that they saw a monster and described it's physical attributes as such.

If you have a look at some of the creatures that are reported to have been seen since (time immemorial for all we know) in the Louisiana region, you'll see that this film could have it's film making interest exploring the origins of creatures in that region. I did actually mention one or 2 above as well (the goblin man is one of them)

There's many such examples throughout history of fabrications of monsters and creatures. Take for example the Loch Ness Monster. I recall seeing a documentary on the origins of the Loch Ness Monster and the first-time witness in the 1930's where those 2 people, before they had passed on, admitted that it was a fabrication of them. Basically, a hoax. Some people have reported to have found bones belonging to a dinosaur in that region and yet it was later discovered that it was planted there. This includes people that supposedly 'found' a tooth buried into an native animal in that region too of which it was later on discovered to be a publicity stunt for an entertainment venue. So you see, with the idea of producing films based on the possible historical background of a region and the exploration of it's 'reported' creatures or monsters, it's easy to see how production of monster films like this one here can be made up. I believe that it's not just " fear of the dark/unknown/subconscious is what fuels those stories & movies" as you state, but also an amalgamation of what I mentioned above.

I will also add ( and I'm sure that you both know and understand) that this is a great part of the designs of film production companies in places like Hollywood (most especially Hollywood I believe) to have the average viewer like you and me become inarticulate over the real issues taking place globally nowadays and have been taking place for a very long time and insensate the average viewers over those same issues with film to entertain us away from the global issues.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (13.07.11)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @SealLion:

I take it that the worn out basics of this story might be the regular blood and gore affiliation, yes??
    i was thinking about the 'there is a monster out to get you' or 'monster in the woods/swamp' or something in that direction, where the viewer already knows whats generally going to happen and the scriptwriters don't even bother to make it any more intriguing or different than the commonly used 'recipe'

you'll notice that there's a plethora of mystical monsters that have made their mark upon the locals.
    which again is a common element permeating cultures all around the world, a fact that, as one might have expected, would be taken seriously by the so-called scientific community, yet it still remains ridiculed or neglected or dismissed as simple folk tales with no relevance to history or reality, which however holds more truth to it (whether literal or symbolic/metaphoric) than any mainstream-aligned researcher would dare/want/think to admit/claim/teach, choosing rather to stick with the prescribed/convenient interpretations, leaving the controversial elements to wait hidden and/or ad acta for better times or bolder colleagues to deal with

There's many such examples throughout history of fabrications of monsters and creatures.
    on the other hand, there's likewise many examples of governmental/military/corporate/system involvement in confiscation/removal (and marginalization or attenuation/weakening of the existing) of any and every piece of historical material/evidence that would potentially make a stir in the currently approved societal order - the same modus operandi can be observed within the scientific community regarding how they deal with researchers and evidence which doesn't align with the currently established theories/interpretations - finally, the aforementioned mentality & conformity plagues yet another related area, namely the religions as well (regarding fi. their dogmas)

what may be said here is that none of them are interested in getting to the bottom of such material (or any other with similar implications/potential), the primary interest lies in (at least) preserving the status quo of the power pyramid, regardless of the observed field - nothing potentially dangerous is allowed to have any officially supported weight/relevance - the system 'stability' comes first, naturally, for everyone's 'benefit'

I will also add ( and I'm sure that you both know and understand) that this is a great part of the designs of film production companies in places like Hollywood (most especially Hollywood I believe) to have the average viewer like you and me become inarticulate over the real issues taking place globally nowadays and have been taking place for a very long time and insensate the average viewers over those same issues with film to entertain us away from the global issues.
    i'd go further to say that its the same everywhere, due to fi. globalization, hollywood being simply the most widespread/influential/powerful example - they will deal with just about any issue (global, local, personal,...), however the way it would be handled and what messages would be spread/enforced/preferred/prescribed is quite questionable to put it quite mildly - this type of entertainment comes with heavy baggage (bias/indoctrination/manipulation) aimed at influencing the unknowing/careless viewer - as such, this industry is the officially prescribed solution for the 'idle hands' problem, for the periods of time when one might stop to think about whats (really) going on underneath the shiny surface or outside the cozy mold or beyond the noisy system & its artificial/imagined/illusory/fragile values/declarations/strongholds
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (14.07.11)

+ Reply to Thread