Thread: Multi boot

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590

Question Multi boot

I'll partition one hard drive per OS. My problem lies there. Even if I were to use one partition per OS, I am quite sure the other OS would be able to interact with the other partition. Though, it depends on what sort of partition it is, so here is my setup:

1. NTFS - Windows
    2. NTFS - Windows
    3. Ext something - Arch Linux

I don't want partition 1 to be able to use partition 2. More or less, they ought to be "isolated" for security purposes. Is that possible to do?

2nd question - How can I make GRUB give me a list of all the available operating systems to boot up from? Remember: separate partitions.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39504
    The first one is possible, I remember a long time ago I used a boot loader that could completely conceal one or more partitions from the operating system. Sadly, I can't recall the name.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Multiboot with GRUB Mini-HOWTO

Check GRUB out - should be able to do what you want.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

mammamia11 (06.04.11)

You can (using grub4dos) hide partitions that you don't wanna use.

First you need a menu.lst file where your grldr is located. It is a good ideea to first unhide all your pasrtitions before you hide them. You can do that by adding the folowing in your .lst:

Code:
    unhide (hd0,0)
    Remeber that grub4dos and any other linux programs start counting from the number 0. So the first partition on your fist hdd would be hd(0,0) which means (hddrive,partition).

The hide a partition you need:
    Code:
    hide (hd0,0)
    And to boot from a windows partition (for this example I assume you need to boot vista\2008 server\7) you need the folosing:

Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader /bootmgr
    The root command is similar to the CD command in windows but for partitions. Basically, it changes the active partition.

The chainloader command is executing the windows bootloader file (in this case it's bootmgr). If you were to use 2000\xp\2003 then the bootloader would have been ntldr and it would of worked in the same manner.

The full eample would be:
    Code:
    unhide (hd1,0)
    unhide (hd1,4)
    unhide (hd1,5)
    unhide (hd1,6)
    unhide (hd1,7)
    unhide (hd1,8)
    unhide (hd1,9)

title Load bootmgr sda5/hd0,4 
    hide (hd1,0)
    hide (hd1,1)
    root (hd1,4)
    chainloader /bootmgr
    When a partition is hidden, it can still be visible in disk management but windows won't be able to add it as a hdd.
    I hope it helps. Just read the forum reboot.pro. They are the experts when it comes to stuff like this.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (11.06.11)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    GRUB seems too complicated. I have tried Acronis OS selector, but I have a problem. If I use the C partition on my first HDD, it is able to hide all the other partitions. However, if I use partition J, it is not able to hide partition C.

No point to use OSL2000, it merely ruins the MBR when hiding partition C. Apparently the C partition is a system partition, whereas J is a boot system.

Other prodcuts to try:
    Mikes Bootmanager Vamos
    Plop - Boot Manager - Free Boot Manager, builtin usb driver, native usb, boot different operating systems, cdrom, usb, freeware, option rom bios
    Last edited by Gapo; 10.06.11 at 22:48.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapo View Post
    I'll partition one hard drive per OS. My problem lies there. Even if I were to use one partition per OS, I am quite sure the other OS would be able to interact with the other partition. .....
    You are correct as the 2 windows OS I have are able to interact with one another. This is not necessarily a good thing at times.
    However, there are times wherein I do find it convenient; however, at other times, it can be a security issue. Hence the requirement ( as your request goes) to hide the OS.

(1) Alternative I can think of is to edit your registry from the 1st OS on your disk. This is a small bit of work and won't take too much time. You'd basically be assigning numbers to sets of letters that identify your Hard Drives.

(2) The other option is to use Easeus Partiton Master to hide your partitions holding those particular OS. Those partitions can only be visited if you un-hide the partitions using the same software. You'd have to think on whether or not that would present a security risk to you, Gapo as you'd have to consider if other people know about the fact that your hiding a partition using Easeus.

(3) The only other idea that I can think of is to use TrueCrypt but I don't think that might be what your looking for. There is another piece of software that I think is similar to the latter mentioned software and it's called DriveCrypt Plus Pack, I just though I'd mention it.

There is also a piece of software that I have on disk at home (sorry, not at home at the moment). I believe it may work for both unix and windows OS. It basically places itself directly before the first OS (which normally you can't do; however, this thing does quite successfully). It's meant to operate within that parameter without there being any hitches. If interested in this software (it's free, just can't recall atm and also not currently home), I'll mention it next time.

I'm mentioning this b/c you listed a second question wherein your wanting to be provided a list of OS on your disk, which this does (graphically).
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    (1) Alternative I can think of is to edit your registry from the 1st OS on your disk. This is a small bit of work and won't take too much time. You'd basically be assigning numbers to sets of letters that identify your Hard Drives.
    Would that hide the partitions?

(2) The other option is to use Easeus Partiton Master to hide your partitions holding those particular OS. Those partitions can only be visited if you un-hide the partitions using the same software. You'd have to think on whether or not that would present a security risk to you, Gapo as you'd have to consider if other people know about the fact that your hiding a partition using Easeus.
    Already used that software. As with OSL2000, it ruins the partition in terms of MBR (booting up)

(3) The only other idea that I can think of is to use TrueCrypt but I don't think that might be what your looking for. There is another piece of software that I think is similar to the latter mentioned software and it's called DriveCrypt Plus Pack, I just though I'd mention it.
    You are right, I am not looking for that.

There is also a piece of software that I have on disk at home (sorry, not at home at the moment). I believe it may work for both unix and windows OS. It basically places itself directly before the first OS (which normally you can't do; however, this thing does quite successfully). It's meant to operate within that parameter without there being any hitches. If interested in this software (it's free, just can't recall atm and also not currently home), I'll mention it next time.
    Most likely it is a boot manager you are talking about. Feel free to mention it later

I'm mentioning this b/c you listed a second question wherein your wanting to be provided a list of OS on your disk, which this does (graphically).
    I found Acronis OS selector to be able to do that. Too bad it can't hide the system partition, which in my case is C. I would hope each boot system could have its own system partition.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Here's what I was talking about with respect to the boot manager. It's a very simple proggy and it installs itself in the first track of the hard disk, which is actually, in my mind really, really good as opposed to installing itself elsewhere.

Note also that you can password protect your config files. This is quite handy when you want to ensure essential security considerations. This in addition to it hiding any primary partitions that allows you to have installed more than one Windows on the same hard disk.

I think that this might fulfill some of your security considerations. It's quite easy to set-up as well.

It's called GAG.
    I really like it.
    It's cool.
    It's funky.
    It's hip.
    It's spirited.
    It's unconventional, earthy, and definitely fashionable.

Link:

It's also translatable in many languages. Not just English.
    Best thing about it, is that it's free.

I'd suggest reading the points listed on the website to familiarize yourself with it's options.

If this thing doesn't fulfil what your looking for, sorry. I tried.

As for the registry edit, it's suppose to. I've never tried it myself, though I have heard of it.
    If you like I can supply some details.
    Last edited by SealLion; 11.06.11 at 01:41.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (11.06.11)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    SL: have you been able to use GAG on HDD 1 with multiple partitions? Each partition has Windows. For example, partition 1 (B not C. It has something to do with floppy drive letters), partition 2 (C) and third partition (D). All have Windows XP.

In my case, it seems like GAG managed to boot up partition 1 (B), but the remaining partitions on HDD 1 couldn't (C and D). This after I enabled hide all primary partitions. I haven't tried with a mere install yet. Some boot manager was missing, according to the error messages provided by partition 2 and 3.

If it isn't able to hide them without ruining the MBR, I will have to use some other boot manager.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    You better make a copy of your boot.ini file along with bootmgr files if you haven't done so and place them somewhere safe for 'just in case' purposes.
    Secondly, yes, I have been able to use GAG with multiple windows partition. I, personally didn't have any problems.
    Thirdly, what do you mean by "the remaining partitions on HDD 1 couldn't"?? I don't think I quite follow you.

Your saying that instead of your first partition, normally being "C", is called "B", is that correct?? That shouldn't present any problems as far as I would be able to determine.---wait....actually, I think it might, though I'm only taking a guess here. I think that "B" is normally reserved for floppy drives. You might want to re-letter that drive if your able to.

Fourth, you've hid all the partitions and of course the other partitions couldn't boot them up. It's b/c you've mentioned that you've hidden them. You've got to have at least 1 partition to be able to boot from. You've hidden the rest, correct??
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    "the remaining partitions on HDD 1 couldn't"??
    Partition 2 and 3 (C and D), as stated above.

As for the drive letters, that isn't a problem. Yet. I merely explained how the drive letters worked in GAG, where it follows the boot floppy format for drive letters.

Fourth, you've hid all the partitions and of course the other partitions couldn't boot them up. It's b/c you've mentioned that you've hidden them. You've got to have at least 1 partition to be able to boot from. You've hidden the rest, correct??
    Even when I unhid the partitions, it seems GAG wasn't able to boot them. I will try again, just in case.

--

If possible, could you find a good guide for this? Still looking, but not finding one with my scenario. The hide partition part is missing in most of the tutorials. Same with how to proceed (Install XP first, then GAG, then what? etc).
    I am not exactly sure how I should do this. If you got a guide or could make one, that would be tremendous help. The more detailed; the better. Pictures are even better. Video the best

----

Seems like I found an even easier boot manager which can do what I want - Boot-Manager Boot-US: Functions

Time to test it as well. This sure isn't an easy task.....
    Last edited by Gapo; 12.06.11 at 21:24.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Let me have a look around the internet for something. I'll look around the sourceforge forum relating to this app.
    Other than what you've found, does this help??

Last edited by SealLion; 12.06.11 at 21:41.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread