+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to remove AVG internet security software - you will not believe this.....

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss7

How to remove AVG internet security software - you will not believe this.....

I was on the phone two consecutive days with Microsoft Security technicians for 1.5 hours each day because I couldn't get system restore to work (Windows XP 2002 service pack 3) and I couldn't get Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) real time to "turn on" got error 0x800705b4. Of course, I looked up the error in the MS community forum and on the net, no luck with ideas to solve my problem. Finally the MS techs decided that some kind of remnants of AVG were blocking MSE from starting. They really tried - we used AVG removal tools, REVO uninstaller, Total unistaller, they buzzed all over my computer's hard drive - into the service area, everything. (AVG is removed from the temp files, the list of programs per control panel, everything I or they could think of to access) so MS tech's told me to contact AVG for help in removing whatever is there.

When one reboots and checks the Windows security center, it now says either "Windows has detected multiple anti-virus software programs" or "AVG security has notified windows it is not 'on'. " I"m paraphrasing slightly since I don't remember precisely. Of course, you can't call AVG or email or anything since it was the free version. Their paid support is $50, seems like a lot to pay for something that isn't working in the first place.

(NOTE - I wanted system restore to work because I obviously had a virus since my DVD burner disappeared. After scanning my system with MSE, it found something and now the burner has returned. AVG never found anything) Any ideas on how to make system restore work would be great too. The error is "System restore cannot protect your computer. Reboot and try again." And you do that, and get the same message again ang again.

Any ideas? THANKS SUPER DUPER MUCH.....
    Last edited by Hotdude99; 21.05.11 at 08:40. Reason: added clarifying sentences
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539
    Some non-solutions:
    • disable the security center
    • use ERUNT instead of System Restore

When I see weird-ass errors like those and can't solve them after a bit of googling, I think it's time for a reinstall
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread