Thread: What the hell is happening?

P2P Client
    utorrent 1.8
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss281
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I think you missed something. My desktop PC isn't even booting at the moment... that's the biggest of my problems right now. The worst thing is I don't know what the hell happened. It was working perfectly, I left it running while taking a shower, and when I came back it was dead (and still is).
    Looks like hell is breaking loose ! Did you do all the sanity check like checking the motherboard light, smps fan etc while the pc is powered on.?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39503
    The light turns on, and all fans work. So do the hard disks and optical drive.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39503
    And Opera just crashed once again after making this post. Stupid piece of shit.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss328
    anon: if im understanding right. there is no problems with power, fans are working and no weird sound, can u hear the chassi speaker sound when u turn the pc on?

can you see anything in your monitor or is it not responding to your pc when u start?

try one moroe thing, try to take off the motherboard battery for two minutes to reset motherboard settings, try even to do "cmos" reset.

there is another thing u can do, pull out the memory cards and the graphic card, put them in agin, (it could be a simple glap).

good luck!
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anon (01.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39503
    Quote Originally Posted by mammamia11 View Post
    anon: if im understanding right. there is no problems with power, fans are working and no weird sound, can u hear the chassi speaker sound when u turn the pc on?
    Nope, it doesn't beep.

can you see anything in your monitor or is it not responding to your pc when u start?
    Monitor doesn't show anything, its status LED goes amber as if the computer was turned off.

try one moroe thing, try to take off the motherboard battery for two minutes to reset motherboard settings, try even to do "cmos" reset.

there is another thing u can do, pull out the memory cards and the graphic card, put them in agin, (it could be a simple glap).
    I already tried removing the RAM sticks, cleaning the connectors and blowing some clean air in the slots to make sure it wasn't that. I even took the huge cooler from my processor, completely cleaned it up, removed the processor itself as well, and blew air inside the socket to discard that. Took me a lot of time to put things back how they were. I even unplugged the power cable on all drives and removed my SATA card in case the power supply was overloaded.

I'll try removing the battery and GFX card tomorrow, have to try every possible thing. I don't think it's the PSU as I changed it last year, but you never know.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

isabella (01.05.11)

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss328
    i know this cuz my brother had the same problem, we tried everything too but as i remember the bios reset did the job so i hope it works for you
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

isabella (01.05.11)

P2P Client
    vuze extreme mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss15
    wow at this point I just buy a new computer, i prefer paying 600 dollars than waste 3 days on a computer lol, when it's time it's time....lol I only buy a new computer every 5 years. until now my computers never failed me. anyway I'm really interested if you will succeed to fix your computer.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    I don´t know why no one mentioned this: clear the CMOS with the jumpers in you motherboard. It is usually explained in the xerography, otherwise google it.
    Try removing all of the boards (audio, lan, ram, etc) and drives to see if you get at least a post message, use an alternative video card if possible.
    If all of that fails, try a different PSU.
    And stop bitchin' LOL
    PM me if you have any questions :)
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

anon (02.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Nope, it dösn't beep.

Monitor dösn't show anything, its status LED gös amber as if the computer was turned off.

I already tried removing the RAM sticks, cleaning the connectors and blowing some clean air in the slots to make sure it wasn't that. I even took the huge cooler from my processor, completely cleaned it up, removed the processor itself as well, and blew air inside the socket to discard that. Took me a lot of time to put things back how they were. I even unplugged the power cable on all drives and removed my SATA card in case the power supply was overloaded.

I'll try removing the battery and GFX card tomorrow, have to try every possible thing. I don't think it's the PSU as I changed it last year, but you never know.
    sounds like the board or the cpu died
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39503
    I tried everything...

...and that's how I found out the video card was fried Had to get a new one.

Well, not all changes are for worse

My father says it was Windows 7 (he pronounces it "Windons seven") that killed the card, but I don't think so. How much does a graphics card usually last? This one was as old as my PC (six years).

PS: is there any way to use some of the GPU's RAM as "real" memory? I found some things, but only for Linux.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    My father says it was Windows 7 (he pronounces it "Windons seven") that killed the card, but I don't think so. How much does a graphics card usually last? This one was as old as my PC (six years).
    Just like most of the components, no one ever knows. Your father could be surprisingly right, 1st because of all the UI eyecandy stressing your poor old GPU, there have been some desktops and notebooks that had hardware issues in specific windows versions.
    Although I might say that dried thermal paste that was never replaced is to be blamed.
    I don't know about using your GPU's memory as RAM, but if there is something out there, it has to be highly experimental.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anon (02.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39503
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    Your father could be surprisingly right, 1st because of all the UI eyecandy stressing your poor old GPU
    I turned all the eye candy and effects off

Although I might say that dried thermal paste that was never replaced is to be blamed.
    My old card had no cooler, just a heat sink.

I don't know about using your GPU's memory as RAM, but if there is something out there, it has to be highly experimental.
    Got it. Windows 7 is more demanding than XP and my 1.5 gigs finally start falling short of system requirements, but I'm not going to put my data in something that could explode at any time.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss328
    using lots of programs opend at the same time with all these advanced flash popups and animated thing then yes thats a truely the reason but that can happen in any windows
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by mammamia11 View Post
    all these advanced flash popups and animated thing
    can all be turned off
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    I turned all the eye candy and effects off
    Then that was not the issue :)

My old card had no cooler, just a heat sink.
    You don't need a cooler to have thermal paste, that goes on top of the chip. As long as there is a heat sink, there is thermal paste/gel or some heat conductive substance. My Radeon 9550 had a cheap aluminum heat sink and used to heat up and temporarily die, until I replaced the thermal paste. I had to glue a fan on top of the heat sink as the thermal paste kept on drying up every few months.

Windows 7 is more demanding than XP and my 1.5 gigs finally start falling short of system requirements, but I'm not going to put my data in something that could explode at any time.
    DDR2 is fairly cheap, or you can also just bare with virtual memory.
    Thanks

21. Who Said Thanks:

anon (03.05.11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast