+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Android x86

Android x86

Android-x86 Project - Run Android on Your PC

This is a project to port Android open source project to x86 platform, formerly known as "patch hosting for android x86 support". The original plan is to host different patches for android x86 support from open source community. A few months after we [They] created the project, we [They] found out that we [They] could do much more than just hosting patches. So we [They] decide to create our [Their] code base to provide support on different x86 platforms, and set up a git server to host it.
    LINK! - source:
    Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

How to run?
    -Download:
    Download - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86
    Pick "android-x86-2.2-generic.iso" for virtualbox.

-Either burn it to a normal CD and boot, or install it through VirtualBox.
    I recommend VirtualBox, unless you have supported hardware.(touch screen, supported wifi...etc).

-Follow this: (Don't forget to make a fake SD card in the end)
    Installation - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

Screens from me:
    Spoiler screenz:

---
    Comment:
    I was surprised to see this!, I was searching for something then Android x86 got my eye, I rushed to test it and surprisingly, It worked perfectly in VirtualBox, Its a little slow, perhaps its my laptop that is slow.

Too bad this project didn't get a good advertisement campaign (or did it?), anyway, I think you can run Android games,applications to test them, also we can maybe experiment with cheating tools for the Android, so we can have a new slogan ("Cheating on the go!" )
    ---

thoughts?

I am cheatos

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (14.01.12) , SealLion (14.01.12) , ParamouR (07.07.11) , ErRor (02.07.11) , SBfreak (18.03.11) , Mihai (28.02.11) , pimphead07 (27.02.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    Had this lying around in my tabs. Apparently no one feels like commenting. I guess I'll give a "yay" and what follows:

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    also we can maybe experiment with cheating tools for the Android, so we can have a new slogan ("Cheating on the go!" )
    That may work for TL but I'd like to see you cheating on What.cd from a phone.

I don't think anything beats a full keyboard and monitor.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

I have heard that android is mostly good ONLY FOR NETBOOKS. It doesnt really match up to ubuntu or windows at this point of time
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39512
    MicroXP is teh shiat for netbooks. Resource usage is minimal and it hibernates in five seconds with two browsers and jD open.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I guess I'll give a "yay"
    I was like you until I saw the x86 thing, because I'll never buy an android-powered phone/handheld, from my little understanding,
    Android is a minified software that includes an OS built using a modified linux kernel and other things.
    Google does bring more information for sure.

That may work for TL but I'd like to see you cheating on What.cd from a phone.

I don't think anything beats a full keyboard and monitor.
    Sure, that was for the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by pimphead07 View Post
    I have heard that android is mostly good ONLY FOR NETBOOKS. It doesnt really match up to ubuntu or windows at this point of time
    Android
    Is "perfect": for phones, hand held things like iPad ..etc
    Is "good" for netbooks if you only use the web,chat, videos, little games, other utilities..
    but IMO to use netbooks efficiently, you can use Windows XP anon's edition, MicroXP and other lightweight WXPs.
    Is "bad" for desktops obviously.

I am cheatos

Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, uTorrent + Torrent Ratio Keeper
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss33
    Android is ok for desktop, but there are not much useful soft for now.
    Thanks

Due to my "Why the hell no?" attitude I gave Android-x86 more than a try in the past.
    I always loved the idea of a self-completing desktop environment,like windows and mac os x have.
    Why not gnome,kde or others you say ? The linux user interface is divided and I don't like that,try running kde apps on gnome or vice versa.Of course they run,of course I can make them look nice,have the same fonts but it won't be the same as running a gtk written app on gnome or a qt one on kde.
    The guys over at Ubuntu want to get over that gap --> Ubuntu To Include Qt Applications
    That's what I looked for when I tried Android x86.Of course I didn't find that but I was impressed nonetheless.
    Here's my 20 cents:
    It was nice;
    Had no freakin idea how to access the term but didn't bother to look on the interwebs;
    Didn't have the marketplace,instead had something else.Good for me.
    It actually ran natively on my pc.That's a mega awesome ultra plus.Some linux distros these days won't even boot.

I say...
    Wait for Android 3.0 for tablets.Make it run on pcs using the open source drivers and the new Gallium experimental shit.
    Profit?
    Best OS eva.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss33
    @SBfreak
    I think no matter what os do you use, you need good software. Android is os for mobiles right now and not much useful things there. Maybe when pads out we will see more good soft. (Photoshop on Android?)
    Thanks

Due to rapidly expansion of web apps and their popularity these days you only need a browser. Chrome OS lol.
    Anyways I agree we still need some local apps.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss33
    I need Photoshop, 3DMax, etc. Its impossible to make them as web-apps.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    of course, local apps are always better if you have the opportunity to have them locally
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

This is an update release of previous stable release 2.2. It's based on the Android 2.2.2 (Froyo branch). The new features in 2.2-r2 contain

Kernel is updated to 2.6.38 with more drivers and bug fixes.
    OpenGL hardware acceleration is improved a lot. The performance is almost 4 times faster. OpenGL ES2 is enabled. An experimental support for ATI radeon chipset is added.
    New target are added, including tegav2, s103t, tx2500 and motion_m1400.
    Support multi-touch screen.
    Fix built-in live wallpapers.
    ReleaseNote 2.2-r2 - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

I'm too lazy to try this now.Maybe sometime in the future.It's nice to see it's based on 6.38 which was praised for heavy speed improvements.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (14.01.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I was having a look at the 'app how to' and this OS still is unable to handle anything other than some select Google approved apps and then only with some minor, yet necessary tweaking. At least it is a small .iso and suggests that it will be a small and lightweight OS. Hope the production of this OS becomes improved as time goes by. Looking to try this soon on VirtualBox as well.
    Last edited by SealLion; 14.01.12 at 17:18.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread