+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English exam

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss205
    I would not recommend learning English over the internet. As good as reading forums may be for basic sentence structure. Anything beyond gradeschool level English is typically unheard of. I mean there ARE resources out there. I just haven't found many good ones. And the ability to distinguish a "good" English forum versus a 4chan clone made to look professional can be tough to distinguish for a non-native speaker. Just don't do it. But I admit... listening to someone my fathers age use words like "chillax'in" is endlessly entertaining.

I do think that e-readers are a good method to learn English for a couple reasons:

1) After the initial cost it's... well... pretty much free content. And for an average of $150 for basic models, it won't break the bank.
    2) Reading is an excellent source of learning new words, and most e-readers have a built in dictionary that defines the word you put your cursor on. Very handy.
    3) Most e-readers also have the option to read to you. If you can not pronounce a word, or question your pronunciation... this is another valuable tool.
    4) Zero distractions. The nice thing about the basic e-readers is that reading is pretty much all they do well. Whenever I try to learn anything via internet, I'm usually distracted by something else... five minutes after I get "serious" about it

And lastly, though not completely related... I think that intermediate/advanced coursework should begin working on prefix's and suffix's rather than have people just memorize a slew of new words. It's so much more efficient do deduce a meaning if you have a good handle on prefix/suffix combinations.
    Last edited by Nobody; 05.03.11 at 00:45.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12