+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newest P2P Network - Dead Drops

Newest P2P Network - Dead Drops

Dead Drops: an offline, p2p file-sharing network | Geek.com

With LimeWire being the latest casualty of file-sharing services being targeted and eventually taken down by organizations like the RIAA, alternatives are being explored by motivated individuals. One of the more unusual, yet completely immune to such legal action, is called Dead Drops.

Dead Drops are file-sharing locations in the real world rather than a site you can visit online. USB drives filled with data are being installed in walls ready for someone to come along with a laptop and take what they need. They can also add to the store too.

The service is completely anonymous unless someone happens to walk by while you are using a drop point. For the moment it also seems to be limited to New York City as that’s where the creator of Dead Drops, Aram Bartholl, resides. Here’s his explanation of the project:

I am ‘injecting’ USB flash drives into walls, buildings and curbs accessible to anybody in public space. You are invited to go to these places (so far 5 in NYC) to drop or find files on a dead drop. Plug your laptop to a wall, house or pole to share your files and date. Each dead drop contains a readme.txt file explaining the project. ‘Dead Drops’ is still in progress, to be continued here and in more cities. Full documentation, movie, map and ‘How to make your own dead drop’ manual coming soon! Stay tuned.
    Through sharing pictures of locations, as well as offering a manual on how to create your own, Dead Drops could start appearing all over the world very soon.

How long will it take the RIAA and MPAA to hire and dispatch a team of anti-Dead Droppers? This team will be tasked with locating Dead Drops on the web and then travelling with a chisel and hammer to remove them.

It may sound crazy, but I bet that would be the solution such organizations would come up with to stop Dead Drops from catching on. With the system so easy and cheap to install this could turn out to be a problem they need to take seriously.

How many people have old USB sticks lying around that could be filled with files and installed in a wall? There’s also going to be some kudos attached to installing the first Dead Drop in your area.

Using one may be risky, though. You have no idea what is contained on the drive until you plug in, so up-to-date security on your laptop and a few initial checks should be done before proceeding.

Although the first conclusion most people will come to is these drives are full of illegal material, they could instead form a useful information point for someone in the area. For example, maybe you are visiting NYC for the first time and want to know somewhere good to eat. A Dead Drop point could have a text file full of directions to local restaurants along with recommendations.

--------------

Somehow I don't think it'll be as popular as bittorrent...

Just a hunch...

---------- Post added at 07:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 ----------

Please change the name of the thread to "Newest P2P Network - Dead Drops"

Made a mistake while naming it earlier...
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    shitorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss220
    That is an idea of a child not a man. Seriously come on.
    Login failed!
    Username or password incorrect.
    If you've forgotten your username or password, you can recover it here.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277
    What an un-realistic approach to file-sharing, I will break the wall and steal this USB drive .
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    It will fail cos ppl will take the usb's and if they dont then some idiot will come and vandalise it

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    [/COLOR]Please change the name of the thread to "Newest P2P Network - Dead Drops"
    Use the triangle with the "!" mark next to the [thanks] button to get a mod to change it
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Gapo (02.11.10)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    Use the triangle with the "!" mark next to the [thanks] button to get a mod to change it
    This ^. Be sure to explain why, otherwise it may not be as obvious to the mod when reporting.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.11.10)

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    Usually if its ur own thread u started, an explanation is not necessary but just courteous
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    Usually if its ur own thread u started, an explanation is not necessary but just courteous
    I'm afraid you misinterpreted my reply. Sorry if I was not clear. Just so you know what I meant: it's best to give the reason in the report field than to edit first post and wait on a mod to "stumble" over the thread
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39731
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapo View Post
    it's best to give the reason in the report field than to edit first post and wait on a mod to "stumble" over the thread
    What she said.

As for this "filesharing" method itself, the idea is very innovative, to say the least, but what will prevent people from deleting all the files, just like it's possible to place new ones?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Guys, this was made by an artist, it is not meant to be a new P2P idea, they just create a message, in this case I believe he is playing with the limit between the virtual nature of P2P networks and the physical world. As in, we share files across the world, but we do not move, somehow we reach them physically.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39731
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    Guys, this was made by an artist, it is not meant to be a new P2P idea, they just create a message, in this case I believe he is playing with the limit between the virtual nature of P2P networks and the physical world.
    I need to go out more.

I'd say it's a quite interesting idea if there was a way to deter vandalism (government action included) and malicious file deletion, though.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread