Thread: Locate Torrent Peeers on Google Map

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581

Locate Torrent Peeers on Google Map

uMap is a new App that allows uTorrent users to display all the peers they are connected to on Google Maps. While the App provides a good visualization of global BitTorrent swarms, it also demonstrates that anonymity is hard to find for the regular torrenter. (...) The App has several ways to display the data. File-sharers can be viewed by the BitTorrent client they use, the country they come from or the swarm they’re currently participating in.
    uMap: Show Your uTorrent Peers in Google Maps | TorrentFreak

It may be scary, but I agree with comment #7:

This is something people really shouldn’t worry about. Anonymity will always be a future option based on applications like this. That’s what fuels creativity. Aside from the fearful look. I think it’s relevant to have. Say if you need to find out where most people are particularly seeding a torrent. This may prove to be helpful perhaps someone will use umap in conjuction to find out where the mpaa/riaa people are. That would make it fair. If people are exposed so are the mpaa/riaa/etc.. would be awesome to see an icon pop up to see where mpaa/riaa are.
    This would also prove that mpaa used that torrent to gain ip’s would also help in court for those who fall into the mpaa’s trap.

That being said umap no longer looks like a threat. It looks like a can of whoopass ready to be opened.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (01.08.10) , SealLion (29.07.10) , Mihai (28.07.10) , slikrapid (28.07.10) , BrianBosworth (28.07.10)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39542
    This only appears to facilitate what you can already do by copying IPs from uTorrent's peerlist and using an IP2Country site. We could even call it a proof of concept.

I think it's a good thing, actually - it should make more people aware of how even though BitTorrent isn't Limewire, you can still get caught and traced for downloading.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    as for that comment #7 i'd agree only with this part:

This is something people really shouldn’t worry about.
    the rest of it is just nonsense
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread