Leave pc on!
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39717
    I can't afford that. Hibernation doesn't seem to work, either. One of the downsides of running Windows XP anon edition, I think.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Java apps lag the first time they're run in my PC, but then they load fast. I güss the JRE gös to the disk cache after the first time or something.
    or memory. anyway that's just until the next reboot.
    generally i'm not a java fan either but jdownloader is somethiing else and not to forget the vuze mod of course. would prefer to have those as native apps of course ...

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I can't afford that. Hibernation dösn't seem to work, either. One of the downsides of running Windows XP anon edition, I think.
    hibernation has its disadvantages anyway. a 'healthy' reboot from time to time dösn't hurt
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    hibernation has its disadvantages anyway. a 'healthy' reboot from time to time doesn't hurt
    I have been using hibernation for the last 2 years now and I haven't been rebooting or shutting down meanwhile. Can't see anything wrong at all with it? Care to elaborate?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    I have been using hibernation for the last 2 years now and I haven't been rebooting or shutting down meanwhile. Can't see anything wrong at all with it? Care to elaborate?
    cleaning ram and caches.
    also most operating systems are using a regular startup for fs checks. i had a case once where the guy hasn't rebooted for a while and when he did fsck found tons of errors.
    further i wonder about updates. some of them require a restart and since you haven't rebooted in 2 years ...

of course, as long as it's working for you it's fine
    Last edited by Instab; 28.06.10 at 20:17.
    Thanks

i hate updates O:
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    i hate updates O:
    hehe, well, then :tongü:
    Thanks

don't try to fix something that works fine ;o) might just end up breaking it
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    don't try to fix something that works fine ;o) might just end up breaking it
    unless its contrary to expert advice, but then it really depends on how u use ur computer
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    unless its contrary to expert advice, but then it really depends on how u use ur computer
    expert shmexpert. Everytime I call my ISP to come fix stuff, they send some expert I end up even worse

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    expert shmexpert. Everytime I call my ISP to come fix stuff, they send some expert I end up even worse

hehe, yeah, in this business there're many so called experts. sad thing is you can't tell before it's too late
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150

u mean even worse on the purse? if after 1 time the tech crew from ur ISP cant do it, u may wanna go somewhere else, unless the 1st is free
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    u mean even worse on the purse? if after 1 time the tech crew from ur ISP cant do it, u may wanna go somewhere else, unless the 1st is free
    Nope. My ISP usually offers it for free. At least one thing they do well I wouldn't call them if their piece of junk isn't actually broken

I called the helpdesk cause I thought my modem was broken. So they do some funky stuff at their pc over there and he was like "oh yeah it's broken alright"

Then mr expert comes along, not knowing anything about what's going on. So I say my modem is broken. He's like "YEAH, I'm sure it's these cables. You need to replace these cables."

After an hour of discussing, he finally, against his will, put in that new modem and everything worked again.
    Thanks

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39717
    Then mr expert comes along, not knowing anything about what's going on. So I say my modem is broken. He's like "YEAH, I'm sure it's these cables. You need to replace these cables."
    If you think that's stupid... once upon a time this local forum called P2P-Shaping existed, where we could discuss how almost every major provider in my country engages in said limitation, as well as other dirty techniques they used, how to get around them if possible, and any other experiences people had with customer service, problem solving, and so on.

I recall reading about a guy on the same ISP as me whose connection stopped working. He called about this the first day and they sent a guy to check stuff, the routine procedure. He opens msconfig in the computer and tells the customer "you have spyware here". After having a look, it was NvCplDaemon (a component of nVidia's control panel) that he pinpointed as such. I was like "what the..."

Unfortunately, the forum died long ago.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast