+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scroogle may have to permanently shut down

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39519

Unhappy Scroogle may have to permanently shut down

Just found this when trying to do a search:

We regret to announce that our Google scraper may have to be permanently retired, thanks to a change at Google. It depends on whether Google is willing to restore the simple interface that we've been scraping since Scroogle started five years ago. Actually, we've been using that interface for scraping since Google-Watch.org began in 2002.

This interface (here's a sample from years ago) was remarkably stable all that time. During those eight years there were only about five changes that required some programming adjustments. Also, this interface was available at every Google data center in exactly the same form, which allowed us to use 700 IP addresses for Google.

That interface was at Google Toolbar but on May 10, 2010 they took it down and inserted a redirect to /toolbar/ie8/sidebar.html. It used to have a search box, and the results it showed were generic during that entire time. It didn't show the snippets unless you moused-over the links it produced (they were there for our program, so that was okay), and it has never had any ads. Our impression was that these results were from Google's basic algorithms, and that extra features and ads were added on top of these generic results. Three years ago Google launched "Universal Search," which meant that they added results from other Google services on their pages. But this simple interface we were using was not affected at all.

Now that interface is gone. It is not possible to continue Scroogle unless we have a simple interface that is stable. Google's main consumer-oriented interface that they want everyone to use is too complex, and changes too frequently, to make our scraping operation possible.
    Scroogle has been blocked
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Uninvited2611 (15.05.10) , anonftw (11.05.10) , slikrapid (11.05.10) , Mihai (11.05.10)

Damn it seems they won't let you search anymore...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    Some1 at google doesnt want competition
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    Some1 at google doesnt want competition
    They do not compete. Scroogle sells nothing, while Google sells advertisement (about 95% of their revenue comes from it).
    The ads, Pagerank, Sponsored links and so on, are how Google makes money, and this is regardless of if you click them.
    I personally think that Google is not interested in any of our personal information as in knowing us, but rather in creating a social and demographic profile of each f us, which they turn into the source of their revenue (through their very advanced and crafty algorithms, their true valuable software)
    There are a lot of Search engines to switch to, although they are not as good as Google.
    I remember I used to go to Vivísimo search engine (sort of a meta search engine, circa 2004) which is now known as Clusty (Clusty the clustering search engine). Yes it is enterprise based, yes it uses Bing, Ask and Yahoo so it does somehow connect to Google but still it might be an option. You may want to inspect/research how it works.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39519
    Personally, I liked Scroogle because it had a clean, ad-free UI, and most important... no tracking cookies! I'll definitely miss it if they don't get to adapt to the new search results page.

desodorante, IxQuick is another site like the one you mentioned, and it doesn't log IPs.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (11.05.10)

desodorante, IxQuick is another site like the one you mentioned, and it doesn't log IPs.
    Doesn't seem to load for me...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39519
    Works just fine here.
    Ixquick Search Engine
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (11.05.10)

It didn't work like 30 seconds ago
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Too bad for scroogle and their users...

I personally dislike this new google look with panel on left side, I had to look for some time to find out how to search for results in my locale... Don't think I see any ads though, using adblock firefox extension. And for tracking cookies: meh, let em track whatever, I'm ignorant here.

However my homepage is some wikipedia portal . And when I search for sth I want to find on wikipedia I actually use (no shit ^^) wikipedia's search. Quite enough for most of time for me
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39519
    Scroogle works again!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Scroogle works again!

Yes. Luckily

Ixquick is very good too, and moreover it allows to connect to sites through its own proxy. And, as scroogle, an SSL version of Ixquick can be integrated in FF with an addon:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12781/

An other option, which has to be considered for the future: Completely decentralised, P2P based search engine, such as Yacy:

Your own Free Software Search Engine

YaCy is a scalable web search engine with an integrated web crawler and content analysis and managements functions. One YaCy installation can store more than 20 million documents, but in a community of search peers YaCy can provide a search index of unlimited size.

Peer-to-Peer Index Sharing

We implemented a index sharing method, that works similar to peer-to-peer file sharing. YaCy shares web index information with other peers and is therefore resistant against censoring the same way as P2P file-sharing is resistant against deletion.
    YaCy Distributed Web Search
    Last edited by Renk; 14.05.10 at 02:09.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

Mihai (13.05.10) , slikrapid (13.05.10)

+ Reply to Thread