+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Al Jazeera English: President Lula defensive over Brazil blackout

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Al Jazeera English: President Lula defensive over Brazil blackout

I read this article on AJE of which at first it didn't really seem interesting enough for posting...at least not until I got to the last paragraph of the news article.

I'll explain...

apparently, there was a huge power outage in Brazil that also affected neighboring Paraguay.

The story starts out like this;

The president of Brazil has moved to defend his government from criticism over a power failure that left up to 60 million people across the country without electricity for several hours.
    Can you imagine??

That's a lot of people that had no electricity to work with, no power for their fridges, no power for any telecommunications effort if another person decided to take advantage of the power outage, and perhaps burglarize a home, and so on ......

You get the point??

There's more.

.....Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (the president) denied that not enough had been done to improve the electricity grid since he took office in 2003.
    Instead of acting in a responsible manner as any politician, who by-the-way, is in a position of responsibility (don't you agree??) should, he denies that there could have been more done.

That is, accept responsibility.
    Now how much would accepting responsibility hurt??

Would it make you look like you are a responsible person if you accepted responsibility??
    Would it elevate you in the eyes of the voting public and your critics??

I'd say so.

So like any politician would, I see (read) that he denies responsibility.

Oh, well.....Not my problem I guess.

Now there's more of course.

So this is how the problem occurred.....apparently, that is.

The outage on Tuesday evening began when the Itaipu hydroelectric dam, which supplies much of the country's electricity, suddenly went offline, plunging parts of Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and other Brazilian cities into darkness.
    Ok.
    Fine,
    the dam broke.
    So go and fix it now.

but there's more.

Edson Lobao, Brazil's mines and energy minister, said strong storms had uprooted trees near the dam just before it went offline and could be to blame for the sudden outage
    So everybody's on the bandwagon to blame the big storm.

Could this here below be the real problem.....

The blackouts came three days after a report on US TV network CBS said that several past power outages in Brazil had been caused by hackers attacking electricity control and distribution systems.
    Now, I'm not saying that it was hackers.
    I'm not saying that it wasn't a storm either.

I'm merely taking into consideration other information.

Considering how much large corporations and government cover-ups, that cover-up the cover-ups...do you think....???

Would this have something to do with the up-and-coming Olympics and the need for security and of course, the need to ensure that the Olympics are going to be secured from potential hacking actions by outsiders??

That is, to ensure visiting officials and members of the IOC, and everybody else, that all is going to be 'OK'??

To deny that perhaps that this was actually another hacking event that got through all the security that surrounds hydro-electric power and potential outages of an entire country??

and if not, then perhaps and truthfully a natural event of which everybody in government wants to assure the general public that all is 'ok', when obviously, it wasn't....or won't be when the Olympics come around??

Here's the link:

enjoy.

Last edited by SealLion; 12.11.09 at 02:31.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (12.11.09) , alpacino (12.11.09)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2071
    President Lula is a funny guy, once I read somewhere that in a meeting with Obama, the USA president told him (Lula) he was the most famous president in the world, because when that last world economy crisis had popped, Lula'd say it was something only temporary and that it would pass, as everything else always passes. That speaks well of his 'responsibility', yes? In our country he is also famous for being a person who likes the cachaça or a good alcohol drink, to be more precise. Take a look a these funny pics:

Brazilians are doomed.

Nevertheless, in the past few months I remember reading an article on local paper saying his popularity had grown in the past few years and he is on his second mandate right now.

Now regarding the blackout it was indeed hard. It makes you feel and see how dependent you are from electricity power. It's simply harder to do anything else, in the pitch black, and the fear for burglary is always present too, lucky nothing like that happened on my area.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (12.11.09) , SealLion (12.11.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    huge power outage in Brazil
    dam(n) (<-- get it? ) so you just had to make a huge ( ^ get it? )) post, didn't ya??
    and perhaps burglarize a home
    could it be a burglars conspiracy, this one?

strong storms had uprooted trees near the dam
    strange excuse, don't you think?

as for hackers, that may be the case

as a side note, afaik some countries use a non-centralized electric grid system, so if one part fails, the other can provide backup power - this may be hard to do if that HE power station supplies everything (no backup electricity supplying system)

nice pix alpacino

made me remember the former russian president Yeltsin & his famous dance moves (middle of the video):

[YT="Boris Yeltsin (Funny moments)"]xMThTEA4M0o[/YT]
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (12.11.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    damn. He sure knows how to do the tango, eh??

oh. and ya. I get your joke. LOL.

well. Maybe it was a burger.....er....burglar's conspiracy this time, yes??

so everyone could get in and have their pockets full of and leave without anyone knowing anything.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread