Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

wikilieaks: Iran blocks WikiLeaks

Check it out.

Big Brother is still with us.

He just won't go away.

Iran has blocked the main addresses of the whistleblower site WikiLeaks. In doing so, it has crossed an important human rights line

A middle-sized developing country, such as Iran, which is faced with wealthy adversaries, may argue that it needs to censor "enemy media" in order to maintain itself as an independent nation. ....................But Iran has not blocked WikiLeaks to stop foreign influence pouring into the country. It has blocked WikiLeaks to try and prevent Iranian whistleblowers getting the truth out.

In censorship terms, the blocking of WikiLeaks is Iran's Berlin wall moment; it is not an attempt to keep enemies out, rather, it is an attempt to lock Iranians in, and as such must be condemned

I guess BigBrother just knows what's best for us...er...the Iranians in this particular case.

Here's teh link. It's a short read, too. So it won't take up too much of your time.

Hey.
    This isn't the first time that Wikileaks has been blocked.
    Nor will it be the last time.

but that's what happens when truth and the divulging of information to the public is blocked by government and organizations.
    Last edited by SealLion; 18.07.09 at 02:18.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539
    It's not the first site Iran blocks, either. Freegate boomed in popularity there before it was made shareware for users outside of China.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (21.07.09)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I didn't know what Freegate was before reading your post. I read that it basically is a program that basically lets a user view a website that's been blocked by thier gov't. I read also that it's financed by some propaganda organization.

That's quite interesting.

Though maybe it is a good thing for it to be financed by a propaganda organization b/c it at least let's other's not so fortunate to experience an open internet, to actually experience it then.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (21.07.09)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39539
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I didn't know what Freegate was before reading your post. I read that it basically is a program that basically lets a user view a website that's been blocked by thier gov't. I read also that it's financed by some propaganda organization.
    Yes, by someone from the Falun Gong cult. It's a small proxy app that tunnels your traffic through Dynaweb's servers, this way your ISP can't see what pages you're browsing, and therefore can't block them.

It also worked to tunnel tracker announces until it became shareware for non-chinese users. (I really need to update my tut, JAP for the win )

Ultrasurf is another one, and there are of course hundreds of SSL Web proxies that can do the same.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

suroyo (31.07.09) , anonftw (21.07.09) , SealLion (19.07.09)

+ Reply to Thread