Thread: Google Chrome (FINAL)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ldboy
    Well done GOOGLE (REMEMBER, ITS JUST A BETA)
    yeah... but you read the posts from anon above?
    hope you just installed it for testing purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    A user who doesn't want to be bound by this "Service Agreement", can bypass it by downloading the source code, and building it oneself (or using a version built by someone else). Building from the source code, although, requires Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. Such self-built executables should be properly named Chromium, not Chrome.

So hopefully we'll be seeing Chromium builds around the net soon
    lol, right, can't be really that hard to build such an application, if the whole source code is available, right? but a good idea, looks like google dug its own grave, by making this project open-source (hope there will be such apps)
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    Quote Originally Posted by vDD+wR View Post
    but a good idea, looks like google dug its own grave, by making this project open-source (hope there will be such apps)
    Heh, when it comes to owning everyone's posts, they did
    But remember that between their objectives was making the Web better, and that's why they made it open-source...

Here's how to build Chromium on Windows, by the way...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

vDD+wR (04.09.08)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    good news though, for all who wanted to use the new google browser but refused bcause of the licence agreement!

Quote Originally Posted by Cnet.com
    Google said on Wednesday that it plans to alter contract terms that gave the search provider broad rights to use anything entered into its new Chrome browser.
    they have changed the section 11, which said, that they can use your information typed into the browser as they want, into:

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."
    source was cnet.com: Google backtracks on Chrome license terms | Beyond Binary - A blog by Ina Fried - CNET News

looks like google came back on the right course again.. but there are still issues with google's new feature called Omnibox..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnet.com
    Privacy advocates are starting to sound the alarm over a feature in Google's Chrome that sends anything typed in the browser's Omnibox back to Google.
    the source here: EFF: We're concerned about Google's Omnibox | Webware : Cool Web apps for everyone - CNET

but it is said that this feature can be easily diabled, so that no data is sent ot google.
    another option of avoiding that google gets your data, is that you switch over into incognito mode, so that you data (history, cookies, ...) is stored on your hard drive only and will be erased once you close the incognito window.

even if google changed the EULA slightly, i would wait for a cleaned up chronuim though without any calling-home functions

maybe someone will use the guide anon provided one post earlier!

But remember that between their objectives was making the Web better, and that's why they made it open-source...
    and they were right with making the web better, when it comes the coparison of the java engine. and another good thing google did was to unite nearly the whole internet against themselves, lol
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anon (04.09.08)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss311
    I changed (back) to FIREFOX, because TS-Tracker doesn't allow Google-Chrome ^^

AND, i almost forgot, Chrome doesn't have integrated RSS-Feed-Reader :-(

Despite a good browser (RC 1 or so even could do better)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ldboy
    I changed (back) to FIREFOX, because TS-Tracker doesn't allow Google-Chrome ^^
    lol, u know why chrome isn't allowed there?
    because of the data thats sent to google?
    but since nearly every tracker implemented an encryption option, there could be nothing wrong with that cause the data has to be decrypted first...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    Thanks vDD for the info

and they were right with making the web better, when it comes the coparison of the java engine.
    You're right with that: it scored pretty much better than any other JS machine out there.

and another good thing google did was to unite nearly the whole internet against themselves, lol
    Yep, they almost did
    (as they had to change the EULA because point 11 didn't go unnoticed )
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Faze Mod 0.2 Private Beta
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3725
    At the moment we are talking about a chrome ban. Perhaps we block the chrome browser completely from our forum.

The reason is easy: Every chrome version have his own identity number, with this number the browser sends informations to google. That means google know what are you doing in the internet!!!

best regards

Rebound

Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

0ldboy (06.09.08) , fromas (05.09.08) , vDD+wR (05.09.08) , shoulder (05.09.08) , anon (04.09.08)

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    It's things like that that make me hope a Chromium build comes out soon, without all the call homes and tracers: just to stay safe while still being able to take advantage of Chrome's new features
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebound
    At the moment we are talking about a chrome ban. Perhaps we block the chrome browser completely from our forum.
    blocking/banning chrome would be the right step since the security consciousness has gotten a big theme and the hydra google tries to grab all of the available data with its many arms...hehe
    and i dont see the problem if sb-i improves its security like many other websites will probably do so too or already did!

It's things like that that make me hope a Chromium build comes out soon
    yeah, i hope so too! but we'll have to wait till the final is released though, cause, when a chrome clone is released now, all the bugs that go with the chrome b3ta would be implemented into the chronium too..

just to stay safe while still being able to take advantage of Chrome's new features
    that would be the ultimate combination though!

EDIT:

just a solution on a website of how to remove the individual id number that is sent to google when using chrome. just found a german site, but the on the it can be seen what has to be removed.
    maybe, if someone finds an english website he could post it here

site: http://winfuture.de/news,42040-5.html#id

to be a little more secure, if you use chrome!
    Last edited by vDD+wR; 05.09.08 at 20:11.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    blocking/banning chrome would be the right step since the security consciousness has gotten a big theme and the hydra google tries to grab all of the available data with its many arms...hehe
    I think the same too, until the unique ID is no longer generated, or made an optional process the user is told about.

and i dont see the problem if sb-i improves its security like many other websites will probably do so too or already did!
    If we block Chrome from our board and then a lot of other sites start doing it too, it'll become widespread and a "warning" to Google about this privacy concern.

yeah, i hope so too! but we'll have to wait till the final is released though, cause, when a chrome clone is released now, all the bugs that go with the chrome b3ta would be implemented into the chronium too..

that would be the ultimate combination though!
    That's right. It'd be awesome if someone could release a Chromium build for us, without the user tracking or call homes, but it's still beta, and people doing this probably don't have as much time to merge their modifications to the latest codebase, then compiling and releasing after every new version is out like Google's developer team has

EDIT:

just a solution on a website of how to remove the individual id number that is sent to google when using chrome. just found a german site, but the on the it can be seen what has to be removed.
    maybe, if someone finds an english website he could post it here

site: WinFuture.de - Google Chrome: Die wichtigsten Tipps und Tricks

to be a little more secure, if you use chrome!
    Extremely nice find, vDD This is really useful for current Chrome users concerned about their privacy.
    So I have made a quick, small translation of the article's text so that our non-german speaking users can also understand it:

We have recently reported that Google's new browser has the unpleasant habit of phoning home, regularly getting in contact with their servers. It also will, during instalation, generate an unique user ID number.

In order to prevent Google from tracking your online activities, you can delete this ID: open the file "Local State" (no extension) with a text editor. In Windows Vista, this file can be found in the directory:

C:\Users\<USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

and in XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data

Now look for the area beginning with "user_experience_metrics", and delete the values "client_id" and "client_id_timestamp", as highlighted in the picture. Save the file and write-protect it (file properties).

After starting Chrome, it will create a file in the same folder called "Local State.tmp", in which the above-mentioned changes also need to be made.
    Have fun
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Extremely nice find, vDD This is really useful for current Chrome users concerned about their privacy.
    So I have made a quick, small translation of the article's text so that our non-german speaking users can also understand it:
    thanks for translating it!
    i didn't had the time to translate the whole article, and so i just copied the link into my post.

If we block Chrome from our board and then a lot of other sites start doing it too, it'll become widespread and a "warning" to Google about this privacy concern.
    i really, really hope that this will help that other sites begin to ban chrome users from their websites too, and that google stops bullshitting the people who are using their applications.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    thanks for translating it!
    i didn't had the time to translate the whole article, and so i just copied the link into my post.
    No problem

i really, really hope that this will help that other sites begin to ban chrome users from their websites too, and that google stops bullshitting the people who are using their applications.
    In the meantime, we'll have to resort to workarounds like doing all the browsing in incognito windows and removing the unique ID with the method you linked to if we want to use Chrome without being bugged...

Update:

A DoS attack vulnerability has been discovered in Chrome:

Quote Originally Posted by milw0rm
    Software:
    Google Chrome Browser 0.2.149.27

Tested:
    Windows XP Professional SP3

Result:
    Google Chrome Crashes with All Tabs

Problem:
    An issue exists in how chrome behaves with undefined-handlers in chrome.dll version
    0.2.149.27. A crash can result without user interaction. When a user is made to visit
    a malicious link, which has an undefined handler followed by a 'special' character,
    the chrome crashes with a Google Chrome message window "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed.
    Restart now?". It lies in dealing with the POP EBP instruction when pointed out by the
    EIP register at 0x01002FF4.
    It's already acknowledged and fixed in the SVN version:

Issue 122 - chromium - Google Code
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Aurion (06.09.08)

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    LOL 2 weeks release old & major security bugs found this is LAME !! can't believe that Google with it's incredible development teams can't create a tight browser empty of bugs
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39458
    Yeah, and think, the auto-download bug had already been fixed in Safari (whose engine Google's browser uses) before it was re-discovered in Chrome!
    At least this new one has already been fixed in the SVN repository...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    Well,I guess some one has intentionally managed to do such a bug in their core system tho !! since Google developing team ain't that n00b to mistake like this
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast