Thread: Library of Congress: DRM a serious obstacle to archiving

P2P Client
    Faze Mod 0.2 Private
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1391

Library of Congress: DRM a serious obstacle to archiving

"Digital preservation" sounds simple enough; just slap that data onto increasingly cheap and spacious hard drives, keep some offsite backups, and you're good to go, right? Not so fast, says the Library of Congress, and it points a crabbed and bony finger directly at US copyright law—and at DRM.
    Related Stories

Libraries labor under most of the same rules that govern the rest of us, with a few key exceptions. For instance, libraries can make three copies of unpublished works in their collections, and copyright holders have to provide the Library of Congress with two deposit copies of all books.

But copyright law also hampers important work being done at places like the Library of Congress, and a major new report on the issue from the Library points out the problems with the current rules. One big issue is the exemption for published works in a library's collection; these can also be copied three times, but only to "replace a work in their collections that is damaged, deteriorating, lost or stolen or whose format has become obsolete." In other words, librarians can't backup or archive such works until destruction is well under way.
    Library of Congress: DRM a serious obstacle to archiving

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.07.08) , hitman (17.07.08)

Activity Longevity
    10/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39468
    DRM should be banned as you can see it always ends up making life harder one way or another
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    lol they are just bragging about their own achievements applied upon people's will !! this is how supreme power actually works
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39468
    Quote Originally Posted by Reppy View Post
    lol they are just bragging about their own achievements applied upon people's will !!
    that's right, because doing this is senseless otherwise... you can only make copies of stuff when they're about to be destructed? what if it can't be done fast enough and things are gone forever? :|
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread