+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NZB Noob Registration open

NZB Noob Registration open

https://nzbnoob.com/register

you must have tutanota email, otherwise you will not get registration email link.
    and password reset also will not work.

https://mail.tutanota.com/
    Last edited by JohnWick; 13.01.24 at 14:34.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Wasn't it always open?

From the entire API Indexers Table only Dognzb, DrunkenSlug, NinjaCentral, Nzb.cat, Nzb-SA, Tabula-Rasa and WtF[nZb] need an invite to register.

All other sites (althub, abnzb, gingadaddy, sickbeard, miatrix, newz69, nzb.su, nzbfinder, nzbgeek, nzbindex, nzbnoob, nzbplanet, nzbsearchmachine, nzbstars, scenenzbs, squareeyed and usenet-crawler) have always open registration.
    Besides some of these saying that its for a limited time, they say so for a loooong time.

Also, it registers just fine with protonmail and even guerrillamail style temporary mails.
    Last edited by sbestran; 13.01.24 at 16:16.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

5thDimension (15.01.24)

P2P Client
    qBittorrent
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 2/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss129
    @ sbestran
    Nzb-SA is dead as fuck.
    It was an average forum 3-4 years ago and now it is completely shit.
    1-2 uploads every month and they are only animes.
    User cap is at 1000 users and invites can only be given out when the cap is raised. Didn't happen because admins/mods do not care anymore.
    The forum is technical garbage.
    Erase that forum from your memory.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

(07.02.24)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by sbestran View Post
    Wasn't it always open?
    I guess this can still serve as a discussion thread... and tagged it "open registration" and "open signups" just in case.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Mag1sk (13.01.24)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag1sk View Post
    @ sbestran
    Nzb-SA is dead as fuck.
    It was an average forum 3-4 years ago and now it is completely shit.
    1-2 uploads every month and they are only animes.
    User cap is at 1000 users and invites can only be given out when the cap is raised. Didn't happen because admins/mods do not care anymore.
    The forum is technical garbage.
    Erase that forum from your memory.
    The matter with Nzb-SA for me is that it has API access, and I am more interested in things released in the past than most novelties, considering Omicron's ~15years retention. Not everything is re-posted, so it is nice to have older options (The Usenet-Crawler restored backup has already saved me a lot, for instance).

The site idea is very fine, and while it is abandoned by it's staff (I wonder if something happened to them) the server still works and the API still works. The main problem is *ARRs not accepting it directly, you need theoretically to use NZBHydra2 ignoring SSL certificate errors to make it work, or fork ProwlARR just for that. The site still says it receives some API accesses in it's front page stats. Searching for nzbs on it must be done trough the API or trough the "browse" button, the "search" one sends you to a blank page with "scrapped" written in it.

The connection is still SSL, so for me it's ok, besides the expire date.

The forums are a sad eco chamber, however. Some people even come by the shoutbox to leave good wishes as if it was a funeral. Sad to see.

I really hope it is revived or at least backup-ed elsewhere.
    But if nobody can even come by and answer a PM, I believe it is a matter of time for whatever was paid to whatever server expire and it will be offline. and lost forever. I hope there is some sort of "bd25 backup" situation, as I do about any indexers.

I see Usenet as a great opportunity for the kind of content that just dies on the torrent world, and I see old indexers (and binary search stuff like newzbin or the v2.0 of easynews' search if used more meticulously) as a good tool to find dead torrent content just floating in the middle of old Usenet posts. One example: DVD-Rs of movies never released in other format. At the time having the mpeg2 remux was considered a blasphemy, nowadays it is very hard to watch 576p content re-riped in a big screen. And many times the quality of the original mpeg2 stream is way better than the low quality encodes in 720p when there is any (I even downgraded a streaming 1080p release to a mpeg2 576p dvd after watching the 2 videos side by side and noticing the mpeg2 was just really better). It is also useful for getting original audios from old dvds and merging them with high image quality films dubbed in the wrong language.

I could give other examples, but I guess the point is: having one more library or one more museum is always great. Specially for people looking for rarities.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I guess this can still serve as a discussion thread... and tagged it "open registration" and "open signups" just in case.
    On NZBNoob's subject: Many people had trouble having their accounts upgraded after paying. Contacting the admin is not easy if you don't use social media (reddit, twitter, etc) to hunt the guy yourself, but the site is legit after you can get an answer from him. His oompa-loompas can miss your payment contact.
    Last edited by sbestran; 14.01.24 at 02:49.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

(07.02.24) , (07.02.24) , Mag1sk (14.01.24)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by sbestran View Post
    I really hope it is revived or at least backup-ed elsewhere.
    But if nobody can even come by and answer a PM, I believe it is a matter of time for whatever was paid to whatever server expire and it will be offline. and lost forever. I hope there is some sort of "bd25 backup" situation, as I do about any indexers.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. What are the prospects of scraping all of their NZBs using one or more free accounts before they go under?

As for the expired certificate, what about not using HTTPS? I just tried to GET /api?t=caps from their API subdomain and it worked without redirecting. Obviously this doesn't encrypt traffic, which is slightly worse than turning off certificate validation.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Be the change you want to see in the world. What are the prospects of scraping all of their NZBs using one or more free accounts before they go under?

As for the expired certificate, what about not using HTTPS? I just tried to GET /api?t=caps from their API subdomain and it worked without redirecting. Obviously this doesn't encrypt traffic, which is slightly worse than turning off certificate validation.

About scrapping, I wish I knew how to do, how to automate and so on, if the site is actually dead.
    I could even try to learn that but:

1- scrapping 200 nzbs per day (or 50 to be honest) isn't going very far.
    2- I'd need to catalog it.
    3- I don't want to harm their server. (Or their site in any way).
    4- I only have one account there, and if the site comes back, well it would be better for everyone.

About the ssl, well, ignoring an expiration date still encrypt my connection, while disabling ssl (not using https) will make it all plain text all over the web, and that is a no-go for me (I use https everywhere, port 80 is even blocked on my firewall just in case). Of course I could bind the scrapping script to gluetun under a docker container and that would encrypt the connection anyway, but then the vpn would have the data (Mulder-style "trust no one" here).

The honest thing to do would be to contact them, but there is no one to answer. I don't know if it is plain abandon, some sort of "see what is happening as a mute canary" situation, or the admins just died in real life.

As Mag1sk pointed, not much is being lost for those just looking for the 983450894389757th newest and fresh version of a superhero movie or for whatever is released in the last few years, but I still hope they can somehow comeback.

For now, ignoring the expiration date (it is the same certificate, I do trust it) is my way to go.

(I love how NZBNoob openness developed into this )
    Last edited by sbestran; 14.01.24 at 19:16.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

(07.02.24)

+ Reply to Thread