+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheating on the Rasberry Pi & Other Single Board Computers (ARM Linux)?

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss54

Cheating on the Rasberry Pi & Other Single Board Computers (ARM Linux)?

as the title states i`m looking for a power efficient way to long term "seed" a bunch of torrents from private torrent trackers to meet the hit & run requirements (7-14 days seed time required after snatching) and farm bonus points.

i thought a mini computer like a raspberry pi would be ideal because i don`t have a nas (too expensive at the moment due to the relatively high upfront cost) and don`t want to let my pc / laptop run all the time when i´m not using it either.

i noticed my raspberry pi freezes up when i`m tring to perform an i/o intensive task on it.

what ratio cheating tool would be best? most ratio cheating tools are written for windows / x86 architecture. i`d need to run them through wine on linux, but that doesn´t work with arm cpus?
    i found box86 as an arm-alternative, but is that the way to go?
    ideally it would be a low maintainence setup that runs mostly unattended and can be controlled remotely.

i´m ready to give up on ratiomaster+ 2.1 due to the constant torrent errors i´m encountering (sorry @ the dev for bashing his work). that tool is out of the equasion.

thanks a lot for reading this wall of text and sharing your experience.
    Last edited by hazz030; 24.09.22 at 19:26.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qBittorrent
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 6/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss26
    i noticed my raspberry pi freezes up when i`m tring to perform an i/o intensive task on it.
    I ran into this problem with an SD card, boot from an SSD or an HDD.

what ratio cheating tool would be best?
    I use JOAL on docker. I am on Ubuntu Server 20.04. However I am not sure it has armv7 support.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

hazz030 (25.09.22)

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss326
    its hard to have a good runtime with pi, i tried that before and allways something that stop working
    When you get to hell, tell em' Duke sent ya
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz030 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AxiomaticDirection View Post
    I ran into this problem with an SD card, boot from an SSD or an HDD.
    Even a fast SD card is slower than the cheapest HDD. However, it will do fine for a project like this, as long as you research the following to know your exact limitations and how you can improve things within them.
    • Bit-banging, programmed I/O
    • I/O scheduler (elevator= kernel parameter)
    • ionice
    • sysctl vm.* options (including swappiness)
    • File system, /etc/fstab, mount parameters (including noatime, async, commit=), write barrier
    • Partition alignment and stripe size, journaling, superblock
    • zram

As for fake seeding, knowing which Pi model and hardware modules you own would help, but here's a general overview.

JOAL and BiglyBT Extreme Mod are both Java-based. As long as a sufficiently modern JRE is available for your system, they should work. JOAL is very easy to use and has a server version designed specifically for this scenario. Conversely, BBTEM's friendliness is highly dependent on whether you have GUI access or not, because if you don't your only options are the Web UI (does not expose any cheating features) and Telnet (highly complex). But it's still feasible.

Transmission and rTorrent have some mods available, but they're old and likely won't even compile. However, it's not very hard to take the current sources, patch them so that the downloaded, uploaded, left and corrupt values sent to the tracker are always 0 and the completed event is never reported, then build to have your own fake seeding mod. Add torrents with all files deselected and you're set.

mRatio reportedly works well under Wine, with the exception of the memory reader, which you won't need if you don't use uTorrent. Unfortunately, it has several bugs with response handling possibly making it a non-option. Solving those would require running mitmproxy natively, then porting mRatio Fixer's scripts and configuration.

Serenity also works under Wine, if your trackers are fine with uTorrent 2.2.1. The rerelease includes a WebUI you can (and should) block from the outside world, but whitelist to access it within your LAN. Then it's a matter of adding torrents with a label matching your fake seeding profile, deselecting all files and starting.

Regarding Windows software, ARM processors don't have x86 virtualization instructions, so binary translation is currently the only way. Going through two emulation layers (Box86 and Wine) results in a large performance impact, but for single, low-impact programs it may be acceptable. Serenity is likely to be usable out of the box while mRatio needs at least .NET Framework 2.0, but you'll have to try and see.

Anyway, I think that's all for now. Feel free to ask for any pointers the search engine can't find JOAL seems like the least mind-boggling choice, but it depends on what hardware you've got and how many torrents you want to load. Also, hopefully you'll give RM+ another chance when the new version is out.

Quote Originally Posted by mammamia11 View Post
    its hard to have a good runtime with pi, i tried that before and allways something that stop working
    I'm afraid that's part of the package. While documentation and community support are good, these things are fairly underpowered and ultimately meant for hobbyists willing to spend time working problems out. In other words... you can't expect the capability and usability of a full-fledged computer for 10% of the price!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

joe1982 (12.10.22)

+ Reply to Thread