+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KeePass getting inadequate for 2022+ ?

KeePass getting inadequate for 2022+ ?

Hi,

I'm starting to get the impression that an application that stores logins is not quite enough for these times.

As a regular Joe, I encounter the following issues:
    - some accounts need a how-to written on the login process. in keepass there's no where to write that.
    - accounts that use payments and allow users to add their cards in their website/application need to be written somewhere. to see what accounts use your banking info, and what bank account (if you have multiple) is used.
    - some accounts have separate login user which differs from email, and keepass only supports one field - the login. nowhere to keep the email address
    - same as above with the phone number - nowhere to store that as well\
    - nowehere to store recovery information for the accounts like pin codes, passphrases, emails & phones
    - nowehere to put firstname & lastname information (assuming they are random)
    - and nowehere to place banking information, cards, which attached to accounts, which are attached to a person.. pin, cvv/cvc, card name, card number, account, currency

I'm not sure if I understand how this is supposed to work here. So.. I place my logins in a password manager such as KeePass but where do I put the the account details. I don't think it's optimal to have one secure drive with the inventory, and a KeePass with the logins.

There must be at least one other person here that encounters these problems.
    if anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 15.09.22 at 18:40.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

hazz030 (16.09.22)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    As a regular Joe, I encounter the following issues:
    The answer to all of this is notes. If they don't provide the granularity you want (which is fine), you'll need to find a different solution. Perhaps an Excel sheet where you can define, format and filter fields however you like.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

But you can;t easily copy information from the notes field. If you keep adding data to a single field, it will become overwhelming and hard to find the data you need in there. What i would've of loved is a simple right-click copy.

I found a test DB of 31k entries ( https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/di...ad/d85d1f7b7d/ ). What do you say? Care to make a test (for science), add to each of those entries a random text in the note field, and see if performance drops.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Care to make a test (for science)
    As soon as I'm done testing if microwave ovens are good at drying my socks... Don't try it!

By the way, the very post containing that test database agrees with what I said above.

"KeePass' intended purpose is as a personal password manager, not as a centralized multi-user enterprise scale password manager, or a general purpose data repository. Few users need to manage 3000+ password protected accounts."
    Thanks

The best to fast-dry items of clothing is dehumidifier. A good quality one will dry al, your clothes in 4-5 hours after washing.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Nokia 6310
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss61
    i use bitwarden
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    As soon as I'm done testing if microwave ovens are good at drying my socks... Don't try it!

By the way, the very post containing that test database agrees with what I said above.

"KeePass' intended purpose is as a personal password manager, not as a centralized multi-user enterprise scale password manager, or a general purpose data repository. Few users need to manage 3000+ password protected accounts."
    Trust me. Take just 400 accounts and fill the notes section, as you suggested. It will cripple the db.
    Is that also enterprise scale? A basic note on each account?

When I say it is poorly optimized I know what I'm talking ab out. The developers built the application basing themselves on the predefined fields, name, user, pass and url. Those are optimized by keepass and takes no processing, but notes & custom fields are not. Because, how keeps notes? The note field is not protected.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 16.09.22 at 18:24.
    Thanks

But you know.. 12 years ago I had a choice to use KeePass for my logins or use a custom a db. I chose the custom db due to the problems KeePass had at the time. 12 years later, nothing changed. So as long as the users are satisfied, nothing will change.
    Right now, have 600 personal accounts. When I ran the directorate demand project, it had a background of 2k accounts, half dead, but records needed to be kept.

This 3000+ is impossible for a regular user is not entirely true.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Well, it seems both of us have clearly determined KeePass does not suit your needs...
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

hazz030 (17.09.22)

It's just so sad to have something with potential and you just.. do nothing.

I mean, seriously, did you notice any significant change in KeePass since 2010 or more? It just seems like they reached the top and they just do bug-fixing.
    Please tell me I'm not crazy here.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 16.09.22 at 23:55.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    It just seems like they reached the top and they just do bug-fixing.
    Picasso would approve.

Anyway, do let us know if/when you find/create a better alternative.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Anyway, do let us know if/when you find/create a better alternative.
    Bitwarden, and you can self-host it
    Thanks

And if you want to go with their server, is it safe? I never actually used a hosted password manager.
    Thanks

And if you want to go with their server, is it safe? I never actually used a hosted password manager.
    so far, no issues with them. they also support breach checking and warnings.
    generator is a must have, multi platform mobile & pc
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

Rupel89yt (20.09.22)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6660
    under absolutely no circumstances i would upload my account data to a remote server. even worse if the only reason to do that is convenience.
    ever since the cloud stuff came up some years ago a lot of people seem to have lost any sense of security/privacy.

as to Master Razor's problem, one solution to what you want is sqlite. encrypt the database file or put it on an encrypted partition or similar and use an sqlite gui as client. that way you can have the exact table/field structure you want and performance shouldn't be an issue either.
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (20.09.22)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast