+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not go underground?

Activity Longevity
    0/20 5/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss23

Why not go underground?

I don't understand why you guys don't go underground. Site admins are using your techniques and becoming better(maybe this ship has already sailed).

If I ran a site for mods, I wouldn't want them to know.

If I created a cheat tool, I wouldn't want the cheat detector to know how my tool works.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by faltu View Post
    (maybe this ship has already sailed)
    A long time ago Anyway, we once considered the idea of making the forum private and/or invite-only and actually did for a brief period of time, but ultimately decided against it. As for why it wasn't so from day one, without a doubt there are merits to keeping the programs and methods secret, but the founding staff obviously thought this was more fair for those not lucky enough to be part of an elite cheaters club, and a much better way for the community they created to grow in the first place. I for one am grateful.

Also, there are class-restricted subforums, and who knows what's hiding in there? You'll have to find out.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Lucas Kane (17.09.21) , illusive (15.09.21) , Lucius (14.09.21) , moonlite (11.09.21) , coolio256 (11.09.21)

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss505
    I thought about this multiple times and there were multiple tries to group the active top experienced members around in discord/irc channels. The chatting was not successful leading me to drop the idea (for now !). One side I did not have the time to offer, gather users nor keeping up. Also seems most around here are too busy to even see their posts for weeks/months.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by illusive View Post
    I thought about this multiple times and there were multiple tries to group the active top experienced members around in discord/irc channels. The chatting was not successful leading me to drop the idea (for now !). One side I did not have the time to offer, gather users nor keeping up.
    Well, don't forget we had an official IRC channel on 2011 and it bombed. I don't have anything against others revisiting the idea, but I believe such environments have little to offer besides a comfier and somewhat more private method for casual discussion.

Also seems most around here are too busy to even see their posts for weeks/months.
    Enjoying the 2D world requires surviving in the 3D one I hate it, but that's how it is.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (16.09.21)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 5/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss23
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post

Enjoying the 2D world requires surviving in the 3D one I hate it, but that's how it is.
    This is the part that makes me hate these elitist torrent sites that need you to keep your account active. Though 10 bucks for inactivity immunity is worth it I think.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    This is the part that makes me hate these elitist torrent sites that need you to keep your account active.
    Fuck inactivity. You know a policy makes no sense when the best argument for it is "if you can't bypass this somehow, you don't deserve to have your account"

Though 10 bucks for inactivity immunity is worth it I think.
    And very convenient But hey, trackers need money to survive like everyone else.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 5/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss23
    Fuck inactivity. You know a policy makes no sense when the best argument for it is "if you can't bypass this somehow, you don't deserve to have your account"

And very convenient But hey, trackers need money to survive like everyone else.

If these sites go down, won't the cops come after the donors? Is paying via bitcoin truly untraceable?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    If these sites go down, won't the cops come after the donors?
    Highly unlikely. Prosecutions of individual members are a very time-consuming and unrewarding PR disaster for the plaintiffs. The biggest targets are those who run the ship and receive that donation money: moderators, administrators and sysops. Perhaps specific regular users that uploaded something very sensitive (e.g. Hurt Locker, Wolverine workprint) or pissed Disney off enough, but even that is a distant second place.

There's a reason staff accounts are those least affected by Gazelle's data retention policies, nya.

Is paying via bitcoin truly untraceable?
    No, BitCoin is the complete opposite of untraceable. All transactions are logged to the blockchain for the entire world to see. Mixers help by doing transfers on your behalf and obscuring the original source, amount, time and date, but then you need to add whoever runs the mixer to your chain of trust.

Monero averts this dilemma by design.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 5/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss23
    Highly unlikely. Prosecutions of individual members are a very time-consuming and unrewarding PR disaster for the plaintiffs. The biggest targets are those who run the ship and receive that donation money: moderators, administrators and sysops. Perhaps specific regular users that uploaded something very sensitive (e.g. Hurt Locker, Wolverine workprint) or pissed Disney off enough, but even that is a distant second place.

There's a reason staff accounts are those least affected by Gazelle's data retention policies, nya.

No, BitCoin is the complete opposite of untraceable. All transactions are logged to the blockchain for the entire world to see. Mixers help by doing transfers on your behalf and obscuring the original source, amount, time and date, but then you need to add whoever runs the mixer to your chain of trust.

Monero averts this dilemma by design.

Wow that's crazy. Ridiculous stuff.

Imagine what a brilliant coder "Whatman" was to invent something like gazelle. The gazelle interface is so beautiful and revolutionary. It truly transformed torrenting forever.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Like any other coding project of this scale, Gazelle was a group effort rather than a single person doing it all, but other than that I agree completely. Sadly its current development status is far less impressive: at least three different forks, plus the proprietary versions used by the cabal, with apparently little desire of contributing to a common codebase.

Don't forget Ocelot, that was also a revolution.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 5/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss23
    Like any other coding project of this scale, Gazelle was a group effort rather than a single person doing it all, but other than that I agree completely. Sadly its current development status is far less impressive: at least three different forks, plus the proprietary versions used by the cabal, with apparently little desire of contributing to a common codebase.

Don't forget Ocelot, that was also a revolution.
    I think it's stupid that gazelle was born because on the older designs you could delete your account. Not sure if the cheat detection systems are better on gazelle too.

I don't understand the difference b/w gazelle and ocelot, thought they were the same with minor tweaks. Which tracker is on gazelle and which is on ocelot?
    Last edited by faltu; 17.09.21 at 06:08.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    on the older designs you could delete your account.
    True, but delacct.php is a rarity nowadays, even among those based on the TB source.

Not sure if the cheat detection systems are better on gazelle too.
    Only a "if UploadSpeed > x then Cheater = True" routine that's disabled by default. What.cd had good scripts which they never shared because of the chain of trust effect and security through obscurity (an acceptable tactic in this context). PTP and BTN are somewhere in between, but I have observed most of the rest don't seem to bother adding any cheating detection whatsoever.

I don't understand the difference b/w gazelle and ocelot, thought they were the same with minor tweaks.
    Ocelot is the backend, the part you don't see or interact with directly but that does the actual tracking of peers. Extreme high-performance code born from necessity due to What.cd's massive size. IPv4-only, but there's a fork that adds IPv6 support (which in my opinion should get a little more attention than it does now, but that's a different topic).
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

Lucas Kane (17.09.21) , faltu (17.09.21)

Also, there are class-restricted subforums, and who knows what's hiding in there? You'll have to find out.
    Unfortunately, User Classes page returns "404 Not Found".
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

anon (21.09.21)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Tragedy! We have redirects in place for these things, but the lack of a trailing slash prevented that particular link from being "caught". I just fixed it and did a little cleanup and reshuffling, thanks.
    Thanks

Yes. The link should end with a slash. With that, it redirects properly.
    It's fixed now. Thanks.
    Last edited by 5thDimension; 22.09.21 at 18:48.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast