+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Joal-Server (Windows / Linux / Mac)

1. Joal-Server (Windows / Linux / Mac) Details »»

Joal-Server (Windows / Linux / Mac)

Developer Last Online: Nov 2023 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Category: [Ratio Tool] Rating:  Downloads: 0
      Released: 22.10.17 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
      • Supported
      • Re-useable Code
      • Free for all

What is Joal-Server
      This version is intended for people who have server and networking knowledge,
      if you want a simple version with a desktop app take a look at Joal-Desktop

Joal-Server is somehow a ratio master, an optional WebUi is embeded (can be activated on demands).
      I initially developped JOAL because i was bored of the .NET framework requirement and i wanted to have a ratio-faker that could work on every OS.

How JOAL compares with other tools
      JOAL RatioMaster Plus mRatio
      OS Windows / Linux / Mac Windows Windows
      Multi-torrent Yes Yes Yes
      Configuration Simple as hell Hard Simple
      Memory reader No Yes Yes
      App updates Download needed Download needed Download needed
      Clients file updates Download needed Download needed Download needed
      Proxy compliant No Yes Yes
      Multiple language No Yes Yes
      Headless server app Yes No No

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying JOAL is better than other tools around here. It does not cover the same needs. JOAL is focused in providing a simple user experience with multi-os support. The server version will provide a multi-os experience with a safe WebUi to administrate your config from wherever you are.

Where to download
      You can download the latests release from Github.
      If you use Docker you will find two Dockerfile in the repository.

How to use it
      Take a look at the documentation.

Preview
      Attachment 18374

If you like the project consider adding a star to the repository : https://github.com/anthonyraymond/joal (on the top-right).

Show Your Support

-->
      • For saying thanks to the author, please click here.
      • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.

Who Said Thanks:

grandect (02.05.23) , sb86 (14.02.23) , araisan113 (02.08.21) , Mon (20.05.18) , acrobr (11.11.17) , anon (23.10.17) , cloud99 (23.10.17) , kokoro (22.10.17) , Lucius (22.10.17) , H265 (22.10.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Made a small correction to my previous post (although the idea basically remains the same).

Quote Originally Posted by hazz030 View Post
    i got this to run on a rpi with 1gb ram apparently, altough it reports a lot of connection time outs when trying to announce to the tracker.
    How many torrents do you have running?

i can´t get the webui to work and i don´t know what i´m doing wrong.
    i can open the webpage in the browser, but it displays this error message: "can´t connect to joal, retry in 8 seconds".
    I can only advice to double-check the installation steps to ensure you've done everything right, and check the logs for clues. Also see that firewall and privilege permissions on the Pi aren't getting in the way. I think being able to view and manage your torrents is a bit more than "a gimmick", but well, as long as it works

why does this program rely on "l2.io" to work?
    Such questions are easy to answer by looking at the source code, and this is no exception! It is used to obtain your external IP address along with three other possible providers.

Code:
        private static final String[] IP_PROVIDERS = new String[]{
                "http://ip.tyk.nu/",
                "http://l2.io/ip",
                "http://ident.me/",
                "http://icanhazip.com/"
        };
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Great tool.

Running in a docker instance on a Raspberry Pi4 8GB with 100 torrents seeding at 0kb/s. Only 8% of RAM used so far (shared with other docker instances)

Has anyone tried to push it to the limits to see how many torrents can it run at once? Is is safe enough to just seed at 0kb/s to avoid HnR? I am planning to use it afer some testing to my main trackers, and a "leak" would be fatal (like going up in speed at a torrent with 0 leechers)

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by sharktachi View Post
    Has anyone tried to push it to the limits to see how many torrents can it run at once?
    Anyone who feels like doing so may benefit from the Java optimization advice that's been given for Extreme Mod.

Is is safe enough to just seed at 0kb/s to avoid HnR?
    "Fake seeding is a very simple yet effective tactic, and requires nearly zero micromanagement past the initial setup. Just pick torrents where the amount of seeders is high enough to blend in with and unlikely to change, and keep in mind the total and piece size limits for the client you're emulating (at least two major trackers are checking this!)."

(like going up in speed at a torrent with 0 leechers)
    JOAL will never fake upload on torrents with 0 leechers, and in this scenario there's no reason for you to make minUploadRate and maxUploadRate nonzero anyway.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

sharktachi (24.10.22)

Thank you for the quick response.

What is the extreme mod by the way? And what does the "total and piece size limits" of the client mean? I am emulating Transmission on movie torrents (1 mkv file).

And another question, the port the tracker will get the announces from is the same port set in the docker part, right? It would be risky for the admins to type in your ip and port and see a webserver part on you, wouldn't it? Apart from the obfuscating part.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    What is the extreme mod by the way? And what does the "total and piece size limits" of the client mean?
    The search feature should answer these without fail.

the port the tracker will get the announces from is the same port set in the docker part, right?
    The port reported to trackers shows up in the log when you start the program.

It would be risky for the admins to type in your ip and port and see a webserver part on you
    This would never happen unless you go out of your way to expose the container to the world (which Docker port mappings don't do on their own).
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

sharktachi (24.10.22)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The search feature should answer these without fail.

The port reported to trackers shows up in the log when you start the program.

This would never happen unless you go out of your way to expose the container to the world (which Docker port mappings don't do on their own).
    Thank you again.

I saw the Extreme Mod refers to BiglyBT client, not Joal.

I have checked the logs and found the announce port, I guess it cannot be changed anywhere as there is no option in the GUI or in docker environment variables.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    the announce port, I guess it cannot be changed anywhere as there is no option in the GUI or in docker environment variables.
    Due to its "set it and forget it" design, JOAL picks the first port between 49152 and 65535 that is available. If you're feeling adventurous, you can recompile to change that range, or hardcode a port number of your choice (should be a matter of making minor edits to a single file, then using javac with the full JAR in your CLASSPATH and injecting the new class).

Whichever port is used, don't forget to forward it in your router and add a Docker port mapping for it so that you show up as connectable to the tracker!
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

sharktachi (24.10.22)

Thank you for developing this amazing tool .
    I'm running Joal using my router through chrooted Debian and use an init.d script to start stop restart.
    I want to run Qbittorrent and Joal simultaneously :

1- can I leech with Qbittorrent and seed with Joal at the same time? (of course Joal will seed torrent already downloaded using Qbittorrent and Qbittorrent will leech new ones ).

2- can I set listening port 49152 for Qbittorrent the same as Joal ? because Joal's default port is 49152. so tracker will see just one client with same port.

3- how to change joal's default port ? because I think it's hardcoded.

by the the way I run both Joal and Qbittorrent using my router through chrooted debian in a headless mode and access them through my browser (webui ).

Thank you very much for your support.
    Last edited by sb86; 17.02.23 at 20:26.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    The conversation between sharktachi and myself above should answer all your questions, directly or otherwise.
    Thanks

but sharktachi talks about port to access webui of the docker .
    I'm talking about incoming port (listening port for both the real client and the faking client).
    hope you understand me anon
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Well, let's see. Questions 2 and 3 are answered by post #83: you can't make the listen port match qBittorrent's, as JOAL will immediately try the next free one, and you can't change it without recompiling. This also indirectly answers question 1 with a "no": you can run the two programs simultaneously, but due to the aforementioned difference in port numbers, they won't look like a single client instance to the tracker even if you never load the same torrents on both.

Recompiling JOAL to change the port and not check if binding was successful is a possibility.
    Thanks

Thank you anon for your explanation. things are clear now
    so if Qbittorrent and Joal are running at the same time with 2 different incoming port and as you said they will look like 2 different Qbittorrent clients , can this cause ban of my account ? or at least look suspicious for the tracker ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    It's not a death sentence in itself, as there are legitimate reasons to use multiple clients, even from the same IP. However, if you get caught cheating, it won't help your case that the torrents with suspicious traffic reports all belong to one of two qBittorrent instances you're supposedly running. So it's best avoided in this scenario.
    Thanks

thank you again anon.
    i want to use the same incoming port for them both and at first start leeching with Qbittorrent then stop it once the leech is completed, then start seeding that leeched torrent with Joal .
    I want to use the same port so tracker will always see same port and client while in leeching phase or fake seeding phase.
    thank you for your patience
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    That would be the most logical thing to do, but in addition to everything we have already discussed...
    • qBittorrent will retain its port binding even if no torrents are active at all
    • Stopping and starting a seeding torrent for no apparent reason and suddenly beginning to upload on it can also be suspicious behavior

Editing JOAL's client files to hardcode a port number that matches your qBittorrent's is a possible hack, one that I've never done (and therefore can't give assurances about) but should work in principle as long as changes aren't overwritten by updates (which you could block with a hosts file entry).

By the way, a router that can run Java programs under a Debian chroot is a very interesting setup, I suppose it's a mini-PC you built for that purpose?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast