+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need some guidance

I need some guidance

Hello. Please bear with me as the content is pretty long.

I've always been passionate abut computers, and like to know as much as I can from them. I study about 90% of my free time every day, I have no social life and I have no real-life interference with my study time. Despite this, I have no idea in what direction am I going. I have a very strong technical knowledge of approx. all technology types and could very well take up any one of them for my future career.

Here are my problems:

1. I like programming but I hate frameworks. I like to be able to do everything myself, or at least try until I succeed but the world today doesn't work like this. Reading this Frameworks don't make any sense - good coders code, great coders reuse It made sense to me. Everyone who is working is development are forced to use and know some kind of frameworks. In my opinion, you only use a fraction of the function base they provide, and are not entirely dependable. The developers working on the framework might pack up and leave, you need to update every so often and sometimes these updates will break your code or make it unstable. It's just not good for me and it makes me sick. I wanna a learn core computer science concepts, and programming techniques, not something temporary just to get things done.

2. I can't work in networking because it requires a lot of overtime and on-call duty. There are some engineers that don't have real free time at all. if something breaks, you need to be there to fix it, it's just not healthy.

3. I've worked 8 years in computer administration, windows and Linux. Nowadays most administration jobs also require on-call or shifts. And I can't do that, It kills me.

Funny things is that I like all 3 domains but hate their counter-parts, the prerequisite for the jobs (frameworks, on-call, shifts).

What am I going to do? Should start learning another field (leave IT)? Any suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 29.06.17 at 10:01.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Did you consider starting your own company? Start small. That's what I'd do if I had your knowledge!
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (29.06.17)

I thought about this for a long time but I would need a partner to get things going. Someone I can trust and know very well. These days, this kind of thing is hard to come by.

Then there's the issue with the money. There are several ways to build a small startup company with little cash. In my country, there is a government service that will pay about 80% of the company startup as long as you have a business plan. Upon reviewing, if they agree, they will pay the startup cash, but afterwards you're on your own. And if you fail... you won't get a second chance.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (29.06.17)

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss512
    Interesting topic. I was (still kind of) in your place.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I like programming but I hate frameworks. I like to be able to do everything myself, or at least try until I succeed but the world today doesn't work like this. Reading this Frameworks don't make any sense - good coders code, great coders reuse It made sense to me. Everyone who is working is development are forced to use and know some kind of frameworks. In my opinion, you only use a fraction of the function base they provide, and are not entirely dependable. The developers working on the framework might pack up and leave, you need to update every so often and sometimes these updates will break your code or make it unstable. It's just not good for me and it makes me sick. I wanna a learn core computer science concepts, and programming techniques, not something temporary just to get things done.
    This is totally true. Why do you think there is almost always a debate between which is better framework to use ?. However, I kinda disagree with your sentence

I hate frameworks. I like to be able to do everything myself
    Because it's implying that using framework usage meaning the ignorance of underlying layers. You are right but using framework doesn't mean necessarily that "You're not able to do everything myself". It just allows you to avoid doing the most common tasks yourself, still you ARE free to do so.

Of course, some jump right into framework usage, I think that is what you mean. This should be avoided if you want to "understand" and even make your own framework. So you already stated

I wanna a learn core computer science concepts, and programming techniques, not something temporary just to get things done.
    This what should be done FIRST then feel free to use frameworks to ease things and save time. Frameworks purpose after all is to save a lot of time and allow re-usability of a lot of codes.

I can't work in networking because it requires a lot of overtime and on-call duty. There are some engineers that don't have real free time at all. if something breaks, you need to be there to fix it, it's just not healthy.

I've worked 8 years in computer administration, windows and Linux. Nowadays most administration jobs also require on-call or shifts. And I can't do that, It kills me.
    This challenge exists in many IT/CS work fields. It's more common in administrating (networking, servers, different systems..etc) though but I wont make it "the reason" to avoid working on that direction. After all designer and installer of the network for example is not responsible for such calls at all. Totally depends on the company policy on that work though so the reason itself varies.

Funny things is that I like all 3 domains but hate their counter-parts, the prerequisite for the jobs (frameworks, on-call, shifts).

What am I going to do? Should start learning another field (leave IT)? Any suggestions are welcome.
    It depends. Let's take one at a time. You seem focused on networking and server administrating so you have enough of experience in that matter to know what challenges you might face (shifts, on-call). When it comes to coding, it consists too many domains. Web, desktop, mobile, embedded systems..etc.

You can jump in quickly since you like programming and pickup some concepts quickly. However, the challenge in programming not in coding or in the language you choose but it is in understanding how the language will work on the target. For example in php, it's simply speaking a page script which interpreted on request every time. This is the true understanding and a developer must keep in head while coding.

About the coding itself, imagine a function you write every time to take two arguments as numbers and add them then return the result. This would be very unnecessary to do every time you need in every project. Let a lone in every language you work with. There are two approaches developers do. 1) create the function and save it as txt file and use it every time you want by copying it. 2) Use an implemented function by another developer on github or anywhere also by copying it.

Copying it means importing it in whatever method according to the language specifics. Anyway, if you do 1) then you are creating your own framework, if you do 2) then you are using another framework. Now with time passing, your framework is growing with stuff gathered from others and built by you, managing it would be a total disaster overhead, you wont know until you fall in that trap. I already did. But imagine you use frameworks (one or multiple) which are maintained by others. Even better, imagine you use them as libraries only, well, if available. Framework enforce kinda of coding style (mostly good one) while library are just available to be used in anyway. This way to save a hell lot of time.

Sorry for the long post, I hope I made some sense explaining how much frameworks could be assets as much as bad weapons.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (29.06.17) , Master Razor (29.06.17)

Companies do not hire you if don't know at least 3-4 frameworks. Even if you created one framework fr yourself --it doesn't matter. That's what I've said: you ARE forced.
    I agree that frameworks save you time, but if you know and use a framework you forget the language itself. It's just they way it is. Most web coders know frameworks better than than the base language itself!
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (29.06.17)

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss512
    Companies do not hire you if don't know at least 3-4 frameworks.
    I would agree with worked with instead of know, hence, experience. Also I've seen companies interesting of developers working with specific framework because specific big project is built on it or something but never seen one asking for 2 or more frameworks knowledge to just get accepted.

Even if you created one framework fr yourself --it doesn't matter. That's what I've said: you ARE forced.
    I do agree. I have to say though, it does matter a lot in two or three situations:

1- If you market your work correctly. I don't mean by market is to sell your product. I mean you maintain and share your concept of knowledge well enough to impress anyone. For example sharing it on github and use best practices, comments..etc to maintain and update your framework and even allow others to use it under certain license. You can't imagine how much good you can get out of this. Actually, most big and good programmed projects started that way.

2- If you are looking to understand and apply good practices. Not just USING the framework as you stated in your original post.

3- Actually is built on point 2. If you used your knowledge and practice to contribute with some work in any framework development. Imagine your name as contributor with even small part in any framework. For career perspective, this is a mark of hit in knowledge and experience to any company you want to work at.

I agree that frameworks save you time, but if you know and use a framework you forget the language itself. It's just they way it is. Most web coders know frameworks better than than the base language itself!
    I do agree with you totally in this. And a plus, the solution. Actually many good developers suggest that solution. Which is to NOT to jump directly to framework usage. Start from the beginning, to understand concepts and good practices. Then when you believe you can do almost everything you are thinking of with the knowledge you have, start using frameworks. Almost all languages programming concepts are the same except few stuff related to the domain of every language. Once you understand such concepts once, you wont be able to forget the language. After all, you will use such concepts frequently even in frameworks.

I can start to give you example of this if you want which is very common so let me know if you want more info.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Did you consider starting your own company? Start small. That's what I'd do if I had your knowledge!
    Finding an existing startup/small company could also be an option, although the pay will be less and your prospects of advancement unknown.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (29.06.17)

Finding an existing startup/small company could also be an option, although the pay will be less and your prospects of advancement unknown.
    I know. But you'll need to work at least 5-10 years before they can build trust to make you a partner or give you a piece of the action. And this rarely happens. My sister joined a small company, she's worked there for about 20 years: she didn't get anything out of it.

I could create the company but I still need another person, which I do not have. The paper work alone is enough to scare anyone

@anon
    What's been happening with your disk wipping plan? Any customers?
    Working with the public is brutal. You meet all kinds of crazy people out there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMtN9Hr_Cnc

I generaly hate shortcuts. I like the spirit of do it yourself.
    - an os is not wqorking: reinstall
    - a program is not working: reinstall
    - an ad object not working: remove and re-create under a different name
    - a router is not working: reset, if not working, buy another one!
    - I have any computing problem: search google

I got where I am today because I wanted to learn why things are the way they are. If someting breaks, I want to know why, with specifics. If something works, I want to know why, again, with specifics.
    And this google searching bugs me so much. Nobody thinks anymore, nobody takes the time to understand why.
    When I was at my former job, when my colleagues would face any problem, they would search on google and try to fix the issue. But they could never explain why it works, or how they did it or what caused the issue in the first place. Because google answers are succint, just the basics. They don't teach you anything.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 29.06.17 at 21:37.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (29.06.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    @anon
    What's been happening with your disk wipping plan? Any customers?
    No, it was a tremendous failure, but I didn't exactly put 110% of my being into it either.

Right now I'm freelancing with computer repair/support stuff and also selling things I don't use in addition to my "real" job. Helps keep some extra cash come in. Of course, I feel you're aiming for something bigger than that...
    Thanks

I don't know what i want anymore. I tought I did.

Computer repair would be a fine idea for a business but is too dependent on current technology. So, microsoft releasing windows 10 means users won't really need IT support anymore. Plus, you don't make that much money by doing it.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    What am I going to do? Should start learning another field (leave IT)?
    I don't know what i want anymore. I tought I did.
    you've got knowledge and experience in IT, those are (some of) your advantages over newcomers and others in this field - switching to another field again takes a lot of time and effort to build up a similar level of competence, so this kind of change is not recommendable unless you feel strongly about it

as far as i can tell, you like IT or some aspects of it, so it seems logical that you would continue in this field and focus on those aspects

Computer repair would be a fine idea for a business but is too dependent on current technology.
    this dependence cannot be avoided, technology changes over time

Plus, you don't make that much money by doing it.
    others have probably mentioned these:
    - find a good company and work your way up to top levels (organizational level) or become an expert in your own particular IT department/niche
    - create your own company, build up the business, connect with bigger companies, do some work for them or find out where there is a high demand for some IT activity or find a future-proof part of the field
    - get creative, get good ideas, transform them into actual IT solutions (own programs, apps, sites, contributions, solutions,...), try selling them
    - keep doing what you're doing right now, while keeping an eye out for these aspects, see which one(s) make sense

ideally, your work is something you like doing, somewhere where your competence matters, etc.
    universally, whatever you end up doing is something that matters in the grand scheme of things
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (02.07.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Computer repair would be a fine idea for a business but is too dependent on current technology. So, microsoft releasing windows 10 means users won't really need IT support anymore.
    That's what the marketing campaign may make you believe In practice, Windows 10 isn't perfect, no system is, and not all problems are software-based anyway.
    Thanks

I wanna build my own company but I can't think of a single thing to do that will last. IT support will not work for much longer and here in RO many people use google to fix their problem to avoid paying money. As long as you can find your solution online, you will never pay, for anything. Then, people are poor, there's no more money.

I agree that the most successful business is the one that gives things and services for free. For instance, I have never payed for anything in computers except for hardware. Never bought any software, services, accounts, etc. This is because I always found alternatives, paid = free, subscription = free access. If I don't have the money, I highly doubt anyone like will ever pay, for anything. Even if piracy didn't exist, I still wouldn't pay for them. It's just they way life is.
    For instance, Youtube is a huge success and has been for years. Youtube Red = not so much.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    but I can't think of a single thing to do that will last.
    no biggie, notice the trends, notice the shortcomings, notice the need, see what works, see what the people want, see what may be useful,... take some time to observe without pressure, see what arises from the subconscious,... you've got time, plenty of time, just enough time to figure out what can be done

here in RO many people use google to fix their problem to avoid paying money.
    for every computer-savvy person, there are several/many that aren't (and they probably wish they were)

Then, people are poor, there's no more money.
    you'd be surprised - if they had enough money to buy a computer, they can handle a little extra

I agree that the most successful business is the one that gives things and services for free.
    you could do classes/instructions to people that want to achieve advanced levels of using the computer
    teaching someone how to use freeware or find their way around the ever-growing (ww)web could also be a source of income

For instance, I have never payed
    you are an advanced user, the majority aren't

If I don't have the money, I highly doubt anyone like will ever pay, for anything.
    teach people how to pay less and save money

Even if piracy didn't exist, I still wouldn't pay for them. It's just they way life is.
    no one knows what would happen if there was no piracy, so any attempt at guessing in that direction is rather pointless

For instance, Youtube is a huge success and has been for years. Youtube Red = not so much.
    youtube started as a good idea and then got sold to the highest bidder for quite a handful

ideas are all around, you just have to be calm, patient, observant, open up and listen to what they have to say
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.07.17) , Master Razor (03.07.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    A little optimism may not hurt... not wishful thinking, just not bringing yourself down before you even start.

PS: when the price of a service is zero or unclear, you and your data are the price. That's why YouTube and all Google services are free.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread