+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Today I Learned... Thread

That's quite accurate.

my brand preferences are, from best to worst: Seagate > HGST > Western Digital > Toshiba.
    In my previous job, or worst drives were HGST. And I suspect the quality of these drives depend on your location. Down here, all mechanical drives are crap.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I suspect the quality of these drives depend on your location. Down here, all mechanical drives are crap.
    How could this be a factor? These disks are all manufactured in China, Thailand or the Phillipines and then shipped.

Anyway, I have no complaints about HGST (which ironically, is owned by Western Digital) as long as APM is kept turned off, which is why they were second in my list.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2059
    Sadly you can't change APM settings on new 8TB disks from Seagate, don't know about other brands.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Maybe those don't have APM at all?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Well, this list (which I'm pasting here in case the article goes down or whatever) was an interesting find.

Code Info Comment
    *#06# Show IMEI number /
    *#0*# Enter the service menu on newer phones like Galaxy S III Only Samsung phones
    *#*#4636#*#* Phone information, usage statistics and battery /
    *#*#34971539#*#* Detailed camera information /
    *#*#273282*255*663282*#*#* Immediate backup of all media files Only on Stock/AOSP ROM's
    *#*#197328640#*#* Enable test mode for service /
    *#*#232339#*#* Wireless LAN tests /
    *#*#0842#*#* Backlight/vibration test /
    *#*#2664#*#* Test the touchscreen Only on AOSP
    *#*#1111#*#* FTA software version 1234 in the same code will give PDA and firmware version
    *#12580*369# Software and hardware info /
    *#9090# Diagnostic configuration Only OEM
    *#872564# USB logging control /
    *#9900# System dump mode Only OEM
    *#301279# HSDPA/HSUPA Control Menu /
    *#*#1234#*#* Launch SuperSU from Dialer Only with installed SuperSU (alternative: ##7873778##)
    *#7465625# View phone lock status /
    *#*#7780#*#* Reset the /data partition to factory state !!!!! Be careful !!!!!
    *2767*3855# Format device to factory state (will delete everything on phone) !!!!! Be careful !!!!!
    ##7764726 Hidden service menu for Motorola Droid Only on Motorola Droid phones
    *#*#7594#*#* Enable direct powering down of device once this code is entered /
    *#32489# Cipher Info /
    *#0011# Network Info /
    *#197328640# This code will send you to the test mode, to test various functionality of your mobile. /
    *#745# General Service Mode /
    *#746# RIL Dump Menu /
    *#06# Debug Dump Menu /
    *#1234# Shows IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number /
    *#2222# Display Software version /
    *#197328640# Shows Hardware Version /
    *#5282837# Service Mode /
    *#44336# Java Version /
    *#2263# Software Version Info (OS) /
    *#3282727336# RF Band Selection & Network modes select Only on Stock Lollipop (Samsung)
    #6984125# Shows Data Usage Status /
    #9072641# Service-Menu: "Dial" /
    *#0228# Master-Key for 'Internals' menu For Vodafone-branded phones try #3971258#
    *#1575# Realtime battery-info /
    *#232337# GPS Control Menu /
    *#3888# Show Bluetooth ID /
    #232337# Bluetooth Test mode /
    *#232338# Bluetooth MAC Address /
    *#232339# WLAN/WiFi MAC Address /
    *#526# or #528# WLAN Engineering Mode /
    #301279# HSDPA/HSUPA Control Menu /
    *##4636## Device/Wifi/Battery/User stats /
    *#*#273283*255*663282*#*#* Make a quick backup of all the media files on your Android device /
    *#*#232338#*#* Shows Wi-Fi MAC address /
    *#*#1472365#*#* Perform a quick GPS test /
    *#*#1575#*#* For a more advanced GPS test /
    *#*#0283#*#* Perform a packet loopback test /
    *#*#0*#*#* Run an LCD display test /
    *#*#0289#*#* Run Audio test /
    *#*#2663#*#* Show device's touch-screen version /
    *#*#0588#*# Perform a proximity sensor test /
    *#*#3264#*#* Show RAM version /
    *#*#232337#*# Show device's Bluetooth address /
    *#*#7262626#*#* Perform a field test /
    *#*#8255#*#* Monitor Google Talk service /
    *#*#4986*2650468#*#* Show Phone, Hardware, PDA, RF Call Date firmware info /
    ##778 (+call) Show EPST menu Only on HTC phones
    ##786# Reverse Logistics Support Only on HTC phones
    *#*#4636#*#* Show HTC info menu Only on HTC phones
    *#*#3424#*#* Run HTC function test program Only HTC phones

Also, a few contributions of my own I've found over the years:

Code Info Comment
    *#92702689# Engineer mode Tested on a MTK6516-based fake iPhone
    *#220807# Game mode Tested on a MTK6516-based fake iPhone; search for "mythroad" to know more
    *#*#3646633#*#* Engineer mode Tested on a MT6735M-based Android phone; is said to apply for other Mediatek chipsets
    *#0000# Show firmware version Old Nokia phones only (S40, S60)
    *#92702689# Show warranty information Old Nokia phones only (S40, S60)
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (16.02.19) , Mon (05.02.19) , Renk (03.02.19) , alpacino (22.06.18) , Master Razor (20.06.18)

P2P Client
    BiglyBT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 6/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss254
    Today i learned how to use mRatio and RatioMaster Plus.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    I learned a ton of stuff about processor microcode, timer resolution and DPC recently. I plan on testing the microcode thingy soon, by flashing a BIOS customized by me

Also, you can create a power efficiency report by running powercfg -energy -output report.htm. Windows does this as an scheduled task and stores the reports under ProgramData, but doesn't tell you about it in any way.

Also², you can run multiple instances of the Registry Editor using regedit /m.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I plan on testing the microcode thingy soon, by flashing a BIOS customized by me
    After struggling a bit with my Flash programmer, this was a success. I'm now running microcode revision 837 (the stock one was 82D) and it's applied by the BIOS on each startup, which is the best way.

Normally you'd do this with an official BIOS update, but Intel no longer provides updates or even Linux microcode for this processor, so I had to find the latter through unconventional means and build my own update.
    Thanks

A little reboot of this old thread..

TIL how to brush your teeth correctly. Probably most of you already know this but it may help those that do not.
    These two YouTube guides I've found to be the best on the subject:

Also, change the toothbrush every 3 months; to make it easy to remember try to change it at the beginning of each season: March, June, September, December.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    A lot of entries were specific to my setup or usage... but here you go.

- changing Tcpip's Hostname and NV Hostname and restarting the Dhcp service is enough to "forge" DHCP option 12
    - using MOVE /Y to update copies of existing files overwrites their creation and access timestamps
    - marking prefetch files as +s prevents writes to them
    - Acrylic DNS Proxy caches NX responses from upstream
    - deleting directories from IrfanView's thumbnail browser's tree view always sends them to the Recycle Bin
    - using Unlocker to close handles on files that were recently uploaded by Firefox (<input type="file"> fields) can cause Explorer.exe to crash!
    - using Unlocker to close individual file handles when opened on a drive root seems very broken: not everything is unlocked, and non-selected entries are also affected!
    - killing the "FileInfo" filter driver prevents the SysMain (SuperFetch) service from starting, even if the dependency is removed in the registry
    - EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) can prevent detection of link status when connected directly to another computer
    - DisplaySwitch.exe parameters: "/internal" or "1" to use the primary display only, "/clone" or "2" to mirror the primary display on a second screen, "/extend" or "3" to expand the desktop to a secondary display, "/external" or "4" to switch to the external display only
    - setting Nmap's TTL so that it drops to 0 right as it hits the target (i.e. is identical to the amount of hops) may uncover currently unused ports for which router port forwarding mappings exist: those will show as "time-exceeded", while unused and unmapped ports are either "no-response", "reset" (TCP only) or possibly "port-unreachable". Using a normal TTL value can also give these away if the router returns ICMP "host-unreachable" messages. Note neither behavior is guaranteed
    - Windows drops packets with destination port 4500/udp (and reportedly 500/udp?) or IP protocols 50, 51 and 250 if the IKEEXT service and/or IPsec functionality are disabled?
    - Nmap: the right way to separate multiple target IPs in Nmap is spaces, not commas. To be more specific, ranges can be set for any IP address octet (e.g. 192.168.0-255.1-254 or 192.168.3-5,7.1) and "[e]ither side of a range may be omitted; the default values are 0 on the left and 255 on the right[; u]sing - by itself is the same as 0-255". And --resolve-all scans all IPs that a hostname resolves to instead of the first one
    - Java: -Xdisableexplicitgc disables explicit System.gc() calls, and as of Java 11, -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseEpsilonGC disables garbage collection completely by using the Epsilon no-op GC
    - BiglyBT stores the IP and port of every peer it has ever connected to as "resume data", on a per-torrent basis, as controlled by the "Use Fast Resume mode", "Save peer connections for quick reconnects" and "Max peers to save" settings
    - under Firefox at least, pressing Ctrl+V in the Yandex Image Search form uploads the image on the clipboard if there is one, even without the "extract canvas data" permission
    - when doing TCP pings with Nping, the IP and TCP headers are always identical, therefore the source port is always the same, therefore Wireshark flags all pings after the first series as suspected retransmissions; using --data-length doesn't change this because the random payload is reused. Also, unlike with Nmap, the MSS TCP option is not set in packets
    - uTorrent has significant clock drift, +385s has been observed after running for 103d, and this occurs irrespective of adjustments to the system time
    - changing NTFS ACLs on files resets their "archive" (+a) attribute
    - holding Ctrl while IrfanView is in slideshow mode makes it advance 5 steps instead of 1
    - loading remote (HTTP, FTP) resources through the ComDlg32 file open dialog presumably goes through WinInet; it uses WebCache and writes "Temporary Internet Files" irrespective of the request's success
    - if you rename a Windows executable to have a .com, .scr, .bat or .cmd extension, it will still work, and if called from a batch file, it can have any extension
    - tskill can't kill processes whose name starts with a number (it gets interpreted as a PID) or is longer than 18 characters. If given a trimmed name, it will kill everything whose first 18 characters match it!
    - this may seem obvious, but crazy Nmap scans (large values for --min-hostgroup --min-parallelism --min-rate, -T5, -p -, combinations thereof) can crash routers :)
    - clicking on the Wireless Network icon in the Windows Mobility Center to scan for and/or connect to a network runs rundll32.exe (presumably `rundll32.exe van.dll,RunVAN')
    - pressing Ctrl+MWheelUp and Ctrl+MWheelDown with the desktop focused changes icon size with greater granularity than the regular small/medium/large values
    - Winamp: with the AudioCoding.com in_mp4 plugin, keeping a M4A/AAC file paused at position 0:00 is not enough to prevent Audiodg from going inactive
    - canceled WLAN connection attempts (get to the "Type the network security key" box, press Cancel) are logged as "Failed to Connect"
    - a "ScanCount" DWORD value in the registry is increased by one when hard disks are redetected? Very little information is available online
    - to prevent devices from waking up the computer, run `for /f "usebackq delims=" %a in (`powercfg /devicequery wake_programmable`) do powercfg /devicedisablewake "%a"' and see that all instances of WaitWakeEnabled in the registry are set to 0x0
    - for at least some Realtek WLAN adapters, the RFOff registry value can be DWORD (Windows "turn wireless off") or REG_SZ (possibly from the driver, untested), values are 0 or 1 in either case
    - Linux: ARP entries for a network interface can be completely removed (vs. marked as incomplete with `ip neigh flush') by running `ip link set arp off dev $INTERFACE ; ip link set arp on dev $INTERFACE' or `ifconfig $INTERFACE -arp ; ifconfig $INTERFACE arp'
    - closing vmware-vmx.exe file locks/handles eventually causes strange issues to start occurring, like not reacting to Ctrl+Alt+Enter when input is grabbed, ignoring requests to disconnect removable devices, freezing when settings changes are attempted...
    - Nmap SYN Stealth scans fail if the default gateway isn't in the ARP cache. This is almost never a problem, but it can happen if the cache entry expires and there are no open programs generating traffic to refresh it
    - Nping: assuming 20-byte IP and TCP headers and a 1500-byte MTU, we can add --data-length 1460 to "fill" a packet to its maximum size and avoid reducing WLAN throughput on ping targets, etc.
    - some Nmap undocumented parameters include: --noninteractive, --nogcc, --route-dst, -I, --thc, -oH, --ff, --deprecated-xml-osclass
    - Tor Browser: the firefox.exe main process starts using 100% CPU if the tor.exe process crashes and has to be restarted? Such crashes are rare, but this has been observed several times
    - Windows Mobility Center never adds or removes tiles after startup, it only updates available ones. Therefore, at least one monitor with ACPI brightness control, audio output device, battery and wireless network adapter should be online before starting it
    - "sparse" is a file attribute (displayed as P in Explorer) and remains even after a file is "complete"
    Thanks

I was under the impression that the 80-character rule was give by the old teletypes machines. However, the practice was well before that. We saw them in newspapers, books, technical books/documentation. If you look close, you'll notice that most -if not all - documents we're written in either 60 characters or (rarely) 80 characters.
    And that 80-character rule does not exist since 80 is the physical limit - you need to account for scroll bars, indentation, and control characters such as line feeds. Python uses 79, which is not correct either. My take is that the correct value should be 72.

And I also learned that the human eye can only take about 10 letters at once. So if you have a line greater than, say 80 characters, then you're looking at number of characters / 10. A greater number will increase eye stops, while a lower number will force the reader to switch the line more often. That 60 char is actually right in the middle. And this is what I'm using for all my documentation from now. It truly does make reading much easier. And I have tested this on the laziest guy I know, how refuses to read anything since it is, and I quote, complicated.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    My take is that the correct value should be 72.
    As I recall, 72 has been the lowest common denominator since the Usenet era (never know which textmode others are using), and therefore my long-standing choice for scripts and e-mail quotes.

A greater number will increase eye stops, while a lower number will force the reader to switch the line more often. That 60 char is actually right in the middle. And this is what I'm using for all my documentation from now. It truly does make reading much easier.
    Highlighting helps when you have to read stuff that isn't or can't be wrapped.
    Thanks

I underestimated the use of whiteboards for years and it never occurred to me that it is a vital component of studying. Regardless of what your field of study is, when need to remember certain terms, formulas, meanings, etc. list them on a whiteboard and look at it from time to time. It will stick to your head much better than writing it down, or trying to memorize it. The effectiveness of this implies that when you do random things around your home, you will unintentionally look at the board, and thus reinforcing your memory.
    Not all have whiteboards in their home so I would propose an alternate: use windows, glass doors, or even mirrors.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Not all have whiteboards in their home so I would propose an alternate: use windows, glass doors, or even mirrors.
    I also suggest writing on your fridge and/or walls because all that blank space is just begging to be used, Mutsuki.

Anyway, Dr. House had a whiteboard, so that reinforces the idea of trusting your advice.
    Thanks

The most important lesson I have learned during the induced-pandemic years is that everything that happens in the world is meant to provide a distraction for people. To make them scared, obedient, to fill their mind and their time. Politics, debating, global issues.. it's meant to keep them busy. I wonder.. What will happen if people no longer had these distractions, such as gaming, politics, news? just focus on their life, and nothing else?

I have cut every piece of crap they have created. i no longer play games, watch news, listen to radio, watch movies, I have also cancelled subscription to my cable provider since all they showed are ads and nothing constructive. basically every rabbit-hole has been closed. Social media is meant to take your time. They create events in which people debate.. Debating on the internet is useless, as well as in real life; there are no winners. Because even if you, there will always be someone that does not believe it.
    When i have time to kill I listen to podcasts or try to learn a new skill. Sports is a priority for me nowadays, go to the gym, I swim 3 times a week, and dance as well. Everyday is a sport for me, i try to diversify it. And I would suggest you do the same; and try to spread this to your friends and close members. Education and Sports are the pillars of success; always have been.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 12.02.23 at 15:01.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast