+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for storing a password in clear text, visible yet hidden?

Ideas for storing a password in clear text, visible yet hidden?

Let's form a brainstorming class and figure this one out.

I use keepass to store my passwords. The main password for it is somewhat long and not that easy to remember.
    instead of choosing an easy to remember password and a lot less secure, I'd like to store this password somewhere on my usb drive. But i'd also like it that if the drive is stolen, no one would find this password.
    The idea is to have the password written somehwere in clear text that only you know where it is stored. One idea that has crossed my mind is to take an small executable, and hex edit the password there. That way only I will know where it is. I'm opened to other suggestins, but I'd like something like this.

Thank you
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, QBT, Deluge
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 10/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss187
    I was never confident storing my password anywhere.

my master password is made of the 1st letter of each word of a sentence I can easily remember, for instance:
    "I lived at 10 baker street, 10000 London when I graduated in 2005 from London School of Economics."
    then add capitalization every other word.

IlA1bS,1LwIgI2fLsOe.

It doesn't even have to be true, just memorable.

my 2 cents
    Last edited by molosse; 01.03.17 at 21:17.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (03.03.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39431
    • Write it down somewhere, but make it not look like a password; format it like a telephone number, size measurements, etc.
    • Use mnemonic techniques to quickly derive the actual password from an easily-remembered phrase or association (see molosse's post above).
    • Write it to a sector inside your drive's MBR or partition gap.
    • Use steganography to conceal the password inside a music or image file. You could even send them to other people and they'd be keeping backups of your password without knowing it.

I think you're better off picking a "correct horse battery staple", though.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Codec (04.03.17) , Lucius (03.03.17) , Master Razor (03.03.17)

"I lived at 10 baker street, 10000 London when I graduated in 2005 from London School of Economics."
    then add capitalization every other word.

IlA1bS,1LwIgI2fLsOe.

I think you're better off picking a "correct horse battery staple", though.
    I did use that 3 years ago but found that I kept forgetting the lower and upper characters order.
    Say i would've used: I iz a pirate, i haz peg leg: IiAp,IhPl That's a nightmare to type on your phone, and you need to remember if the previous char is lower or upper case. if I were to use only lower characters, it would decrease security.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 03.03.17 at 08:11.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39431
    DwYwCaPiF,yAaP

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

"I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Last year I had to come up with 3 password templates:
    1. password for work, with month incrementation
    2. password for home, with month incrementation
    3. password for online services, to access without keepass (password remember)

The problem is that online services like job boards and others, some have specific rules. Must have a letter, must have upper case, cannot contain .,/ , must be less than X, must be bigger than X. Literally, I lost my mind.
    Whatever password I would come up with, some sites just would not accept them. This is forcing me to use many passwords for these online services. The idea was to have one password for all these critical services.

And you cannot use IlA1bS,1LwIgI2fLsOe because you forget the upper/lower char order. in windows you can write in notepad and see, but on android, you type dsirectly in the password field and they are as asterixes.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, QBT, Deluge
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 10/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss187
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I did use that 3 years ago but found that I kept forgetting the lower and upper characters order.
    I agree, this is why I capitalize every other letter. Sure, it's a pattern and that introduces a risk, but honestly, the password I gave as an example is pretty strong.

According to Kaspery, Tianhe-2 (world's fastest Supercomputer at the moment) would need 10 centuries to crack it.
    Not bad, huh!
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (08.03.17)

+ Reply to Thread