+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best on-demand antimalware sollution - 2017

Best on-demand antimalware sollution - 2017

I only download stuff from safe places, and am always very careful when I download foreign stuff. For my needs, an on-demand scanner would be best.
    Currently I use Malwarebytes AntiMalware free edition but since recently it requires a licence. Probably transforming it into a full-blown antivirus software. It is not the licence that I'm afraid of, it is the bloatness that brings with it.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss505
    Malwarebytes is great. I don't keep it installed but on my system and multiple computers I get to fix I install it .... with license and use it then uninstall it if there is built-in anti-malware in whatever software protection I'd use. So far I didn't use other than Malwarebytes and didn't need to. I tried some but they were really worse than they look and kept messing with the operating system, had to you use combofix for Windows 7 because of them. That was long time ago and don't remember what are the names.

Anyway I keep using free and non-free anti-virus and it's enough for me until I need Malwarebytes which is pretty rarely except on systems of users who don't use protection or use outdated one for long.

There are many lightweight anti-viruses btw. Check this for such decision if you like.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    MalwareBytes is great! I just find and download cracked full versions :)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I only download stuff from safe places, and am always very careful when I download foreign stuff. For my needs, an on-demand scanner would be best.
    Actually, with those habits (which I'm sure involve virtual machines, UAC and secure browser settings), I don't think you need even an on-demand scanner. Just check what processes and drivers are running/loaded regularly. Rootkit Unhooker and Tuluka are great to know what's really going on, but sadly 32-bit only.

I stopped using an antivirus and stuff on 2010, and only had two encounters with malware ever since. One was because I was stupid and ran an obviously suspicious (pre and post-hindsight) executable without taking any measures. The other was a real mystery and may have been a browser exploit based on file timestamps, but I never really found out.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (12.02.17)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 9/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss54
    Am I the only one sticking to just Windows Defender? Haha, seems to do the job. Plus the good habits mentioned above of course.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qbittorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss322
    I have not used any antivirus software since 2010.
    Thanks

You still need it.
    I somethimes need to download stuff from warez sites. Within the download package there are some other files like images and text files. You never know what might be in them. Which is why you actually do need a manual scanner.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Codec (14.02.17)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Within the download package there are some other files like images
    Nothing like including some 1080p wallpapers to bring file size over the payout threshold In the most egregious cases, they're bigger than the program you're actually interested on.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (16.02.17)

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    You still need it.
    I somethimes need to download stuff from warez sites. Within the download package there are some other files like images and text files. You never know what might be in them. Which is why you actually do need a manual scanner.
    Ublock and Ghostery to avoid bad popups,spywares,malwares and other crap. Use Windows Defender for usual installers and active monitoring. Does the job done nicely
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread