+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Software Discussions

Cent Browser (Chromium)

I also installed this browser, its best feature is we can add .crx extensions manually, while Chrome and other chromium do not allow outside of chrome web store. Maxthon Cloud Browser is also chromium, it also allow us to install .crx from outside of chrome webstore by drag and drop, but i uninstall it because it does not show option to add dns in browser.

I have installed, Chrome as my primary browser, others are Iridium browser (Chromium), Cent browser (Chromium) and Opera browser.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWick View Post
    its best feature is we can add .crx extensions manually, while Chrome and other chromium do not allow outside of chrome web store.
    ungoogled-chromium supports this too, see https://github.com/ungoogled-softwar...g-the-crx-file. The developer mode workaround apparently no longer works in vanilla Chrom(e|ium). Personally, I don't use any extensions - they require extra memory and the impulse to build the "perfect" collection can be very addictive - but for most others this can be a deal breaker.

Whenever you try a new browser, I recommend checking its background network requests with Wireshark. You'll see most can't keep their mouth shut, even when asked to
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

JohnWick (21.09.21)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    ungoogled-chromium supports this too, see https://github.com/ungoogled-softwar...g-the-crx-file. The developer mode workaround apparently no longer works in vanilla Chrom(e|ium). Personally, I don't use any extensions - they require extra memory and the impulse to build the "perfect" collection can be very addictive - but for most others this can be a deal breaker.

Whenever you try a new browser, I recommend checking its background network requests with Wireshark. You'll see most can't keep their mouth shut, even when asked to
    Yes, i know about ungoogle chromium also support extension manually,
    but it seems headache to me,
    we need extension for chrome web store and also link should be book mark.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    we need extension for chrome web store and also link should be book mark.
    Give my link a closer look, because you can find both there.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    I just 2 days ago installed on ungoogled chromium extensions from the Google. I followed the steps explained here.
    https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store

Essentially, you have to "bootstrap" extensions installation mechanism in first installing the extension chromium-web-store. It's a bit tricky, but the site above explain it well, and you only have to do that one time.
    Last edited by Renk; 03.10.21 at 09:04.
    Primo Avulso Non Deficit Alter
    Thanks

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss505
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Did you ever try AIMP 3 instead? When I did, I deleted Winamp instantly.
    I did, I went back to winamp

You win the SB-I award to good taste! Winamp 2.95 forever

For Android, I like MX Player. It works and can also play video.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    Essentially, you have to "bootstrap" extensions installation mechanism in first installing the extension chromium-web-store. It's a bit tricky, but the site above explain it well, and you only have to do that one time.
    ungoogled-chromium can't include this functionality out of principle, and because third-party forks of Google's software are not allowed to use the Store, Sync, SafeBrowsing, etc. without obtaining their own API key (which they would never grant in this particular case). The latter reason makes it somewhat surprising that the extension does work...

Quote Originally Posted by illusive View Post
    I did, I went back to winamp
    With plugins, you can play modern formats like AAC and FLAC without drama. Furthermore, during the XP days, it was the only music player that could do kernel streaming at all and without lag in my hardware (if you don't know what kernel streaming is, be happy, we have advanced so much since). I'm glad it doesn't need to make or receive Internet connections to work, though, because it's a program from 2003 after all.

Using the proprietary and wakelock-heavy MX Player on Android is a shame for me, but none of the alternatives are good enough. Vanilla Music came close, but skips songs partially or completely at random (the read-ahead feature didn't solve that). VLC is very good for video, but what's the point of having to switch between two apps when one is only a partial replacement for the other. And for the record, my experiments revealed the old stock player (the one called simply "Music" with a black speaker icon) has the lowest power consumption, but it was too basic for my taste.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss505
    VLC is very good for video, but what's the point of having to switch between two apps when one is only a partial replacement for the other.
    I used to use MX Player but VLC really been a must have app (On Windows & Android) so I ended up using it for everything nowadays.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    ungoogled-chromium can't include this functionality out of principle, and because third-party forks of Google's software are not allowed to use the Store, Sync, SafeBrowsing, etc. without obtaining their own API key (which they would never grant in this particular case). The latter reason makes it somewhat surprising that the extension does work...

With plugins, you can play modern formats like AAC and FLAC without drama. Furthermore, during the XP days, it was the only music player that could do kernel streaming at all and without lag in my hardware (if you don't know what kernel streaming is, be happy, we have advanced so much since). I'm glad it doesn't need to make or receive Internet connections to work, though, because it's a program from 2003 after all.

Using the proprietary and wakelock-heavy MX Player on Android is a shame for me, but none of the alternatives are good enough. Vanilla Music came close, but skips songs partially or completely at random (the read-ahead feature didn't solve that). VLC is very good for video, but what's the point of having to switch between two apps when one is only a partial replacement for the other. And for the record, my experiments revealed the old stock player (the one called simply "Music" with a black speaker icon) has the lowest power consumption, but it was too basic for my taste.

Well, it's more precisely the instructions of this page I have followed. It worked on my systems and on 2 VMs. But don't ask me how or why.

Concerning Winamp, which plugin do you use for AAC & FLAC? And what do you think about the WACUP community version?
    Primo Avulso Non Deficit Alter
    Thanks

Motrix

It seems best download manager for downloading large files, in past i used eagleget for downloading large files, because most of time IDM gives files corruption on large files.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    Well, it's more precisely the instructions of this page I have followed. It worked on my systems and on 2 VMs. But don't ask me how or why.
    Maybe this project isn't big enough of a target for Google yet. Despite also having one of their trademarks on its name

Concerning Winamp, which plugin do you use for AAC & FLAC?
    Attached. I don't even remember where I got them from, but fortunately kept the original downloads. The AAC one can play audio streams in videos.

And what do you think about the WACUP community version?
    I'm glad it exists and appreciate what it represents, but it's still Winamp 5.x. Version 2.95 works fine as long as you close the minibrowser and don't use any online features (I suppose a buffer overflow or other exploit on the stock plugins is possible, but that would require dedication and a targeted attack).

If I ever changed my music player, it would be to free software, with foobar2000 being the most likely candidate. But once again, I'm good for now
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (20.11.21)

P2P Client
    What ?! That's Private!
    Activity Longevity
    3/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss505
    Well, I ended up using multiple browsers. Mainly FF & chrome. Edge coming in front of my eyes a lot nowadays. However, with android and multiple devices, chrome doing really good work synchronizing everything with my gmail. I struggled for some cross solution for basic data like bookmarks, passwords, history ?etc. But always ended in failure. Today I use mainly two things with any browser/device to overcome this problem.

1- https://github.com/xbrowsersync/app

This is mainly why im sharing this. Not a lot of people know it including myself. for bookmarks synchronization. Open source & free online service and supports making your own server to track your bookmarks.

2- Bitwarden (Coming from lastpass and chrome password manager)

Free open-source password manager with online service as will.

3- (Optional) Turning on sync on gmail account inside chrome this will be helpful for contacts & history/bookmarks on android.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.12.21)

cute ftp
    (best ftp client)
    Last edited by JohnWick; 17.12.21 at 13:29.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Qbitorrent, Utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 3/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss18
    If I ever changed my music player, it would be to free software, with foobar2000 being the most likely candidate. But once again, I'm good for now
    For modern music player, you can try musicbee. Modern UI, extremely customizable layout, intuitive library navigation, online service integration, plugin, etc. Really making listening music an enjoyable experience.

AIMP is also a similar alternative.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.12.21)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by illusive View Post
    1- https://github.com/xbrowsersync/app

This is mainly why im sharing this. Not a lot of people know it including myself. for bookmarks synchronization. Open source & free online service and supports making your own server to track your bookmarks.
    End-to-end encrypted, self-hostable sync? This is a great find

cute ftp
    (best ftp client)
    I use Total Commander's built-in one since that's my file manager of choice. It integrates very well to the point remote directories look and react just like local ones. Of course, I don't expect most people to install this incredibly powerful program just for the FTP client. Still have Filezilla as a backup just in case (and even made an XP compatibility patch for it).

Quote Originally Posted by tsarOW View Post
    For modern music player, you can try musicbee.
    Hadn't heard of it, so I will check it out to be fair, thanks!
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

illusive (20.12.21) , JohnWick (18.12.21)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast