Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750

Network Card

Is any performance difference between an Onboard network card and a PCI network card same brand

for example Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2 Onboard

and a pci Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter ?

because i have an issue with my internet speed
    From ISP provider i bought 1GB connection but my real uttorent download don't pass outside the 20MB download limit no mather if i use to download on SSD or HHD

ISP provider recomends gigabit network for maximum performance wich i haven't bought since i had one onboard on my ASUS m4a89GTD pro mainboard

if i will buy an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter i will notice any changes in download speed ?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    In theory, both adapters should work fine. In practice, integrated hardware is usually "good enough" and the PCIe one is very likely to be better.

When you're dealing with such high speeds, there are several potential bottlenecks to tackle:
    • Your network adapter must be gigabit, obviously, and support task offloading so that it can do most processing instead of the CPU. All modern ones support that feature.
    • Your computer's processor should be fast enough, even if offloading is supported.
    • Your router must be gigabit on both the LAN and WAN ports (some have a gigabit switch for the LAN but a regular 100 Mbit interface for the WAN) and have a NAT throughput of at least 1000 Mbps.
    • You must be connected to your router via Ethernet and use CAT-6 cabling; 802.11ad is the only way to get gigabit speeds over wireless, and it's currently very expensive.

And of course, you also need to find something that downloads that fast and have a storage device that can keep up, but you already know that
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    thanks for reply buddy

Your computer's processor should be fast enough, even if offloading is supported.
    I have and AMD phenom X6 1100T 3.3 GHZ that should do the job i think

Your router must be gigabit on both the LAN and WAN ports (some have a gigabit switch for the LAN but a regular 100 Mbit interface for the WAN) and have a NAT throughput of at least 1000 Mbps.
    on the router side i have the one installed and offered by isp wich i think is gigabit
    meaning this one : xPON ONU - ZTE Enterprise

You must be connected to your router via Ethernet and use CAT-6 cabling; 802.11ad is the only way to get gigabit speeds over wireless, and it's currently very expensive.
    on this one i'm lost , i basicly don't care about wireless speeds , what they did on installing was to cut the older cable change the port ,the plastic head in the noob terms , since i have a lapsus right now , and put the older cable with the new plastic head in their router :)) (from the Older ISP )

i should buy a new PCIe network , but i wanted to be sure , since is around 50 bucks
    Thanks

You must be connected to your router via Ethernet and use CAT-6 cabling; 802.11ad is the only way to get gigabit speeds over wireless, and it's currently very expensive.
    I'd like to point out here that CAT5/5e is sufficient for 1GB, and the maximum bandwidth reached with it is ~ 2.5GB.

Your computer's processor should be fast enough, even if offloading is supported.
    In my opinion, the CPU has little to do with networking. At most it'll take ~ 5% percent of the CPU.
    The most important component is the HDD, you'll probably want to buy an SSD if you don't already have one.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Just make sure it doesn't use Killer Network drivers. They suck, I know
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    @ Master Razor

have one...don't u happen to have also the same ISP and speed since it looks like we live in the same country to tell me in comparison with mine wich speeds do you catch on torrents

@yoco

Killer Network drivers

what's that ? meaning faulty drivers ?

for now i think only that poor speeds is because my onboard network but i want to be sure

on speedtest.net i have right now

Download 349.31Mb/s Upload 499.38Mb/s
    on the isp speedtest page i have Last Result:
    Download Speed: 226957 kbps (28369.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 191136 kbps (23892 KB/sec transfer rate)

bottom line after all...i want to create the proper enviroment to reach the maximum, because if the maximum that i can reach is 20 MB with the proper enviroment is not bigger difference between this and the older ISP bandwith that was around 10 MBs real download, the only difference is the $$ and if it's that case...wanna talk with them to downgrade my Speed since i pay for nothing
    Last edited by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10; 31.12.16 at 00:15.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2059
    I was gonna say about the cable like anon mentioned. As a test could you link your PC directly to your modem (no routers in between) and test a a short cable Cat5E or Cat6 and see the results.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.16) , DarkSaibot v.1.3.10 (31.12.16)

I have RDS and I have a connection of 300MB of which I download with ~ 38MB/sec.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    I have Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller network card on my MB. It uses Killer Network drivers, and after few months it always cuts my speed by half. I need to reinstall drivers again. After googling a bit, I discovered everyone said it's one of the worst cards!
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    As a test could you link your PC directly to your modem (no routers in between) and test a a short cable Cat5E or Cat6 and see the results.
    my router is my modem :))..since i don't know how but they installed also the TV cable trough him because if i wanna restart router until it's restarting the signal Cable TV is also down ...and i think i can't connect directly ....because i have the router in the attic and i'm downstairs with the PC , cables raise me a question mark also, but from what i have read over the internet if i had wrong cable the lan connection should show 100MB connection but mine shows 1GB connection

Cat5E is the one with 8 wires ?

Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller network card on my MB. It uses Killer Network drivers, and after few months it always cuts my speed by half. I need to reinstall drivers again. After googling a bit, I discovered everyone said it's one of the worst cards!
    didn't know that it was a card wich actually cals herself killer , problem is that i don't think is any new driver for mine, last update via ASUS website was around 2011 ,but didn't checked the network manufactor website to be sure
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (04.01.17)

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    what's the difference between IEEE 802.3u specification for 10/100Mbps Ethernet and the IEEE 802.3ab specification for 1000Mbps Ethernet. ?

because i see on my mainboard network card 10/100Mbps for 802.3u and 802.3ab for 1000Mbps Ethernet

---------- Post Merged at 15:14 ---------- Previous Post was at 09:04 ----------

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...&sku=540-11366

should have any compatibility issue for normal dekstops ?
    Last edited by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10; 03.01.17 at 15:14.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10 View Post
    what's the difference between IEEE 802.3u specification for 10/100Mbps Ethernet and the IEEE 802.3ab specification for 1000Mbps Ethernet. ?

because i see on my mainboard network card 10/100Mbps for 802.3u and 802.3ab for 1000Mbps Ethernet
    Those are just the standard that define how Fast and Gigabit Ethernet work, respectively. It's like with wireless networks where you have 802.11b with a maximum of 11 Mbps, 11g with 54 and 11n with up to 600.

No, but for regular desktop usage, 95 euros is a lot to pay for a card like this.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

DarkSaibot v.1.3.10 (04.01.17) , alpacino (04.01.17)

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    thanks for clearing things up
    well after a fresh reinstall and changing the controller from HDD to ahcii and the utorrent to qbittorent things looks better,sometimes i'm downloading with 90 MB (but not on torrents) evenwith my old config since the new one hasen't arrived yet

95 euros is a lot to pay for a card like this.
    i've catched a discount , paid around 50 ,bought one of this and two types of cables Hama CAT5e Network Cable UTP 10m flat Black and a Logilink PrimeLine CAT6a Patch Cable S/FTP 10G 10m to test
    Last edited by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10; 04.01.17 at 18:21.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Sounds great, let us know what it's like when you get your new gear.

Another speed test to do now and/or later: get a copy of wget for Windows, run all of the following commands, and check which speeds you get with each.

Code:
    rem 1 GB file download from the United Kingdom
    wget.exe "http://download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip" -U "" -O nul
    rem 100 MB file download from a global CDN
    wget.exe "http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" -U "" -O nul
    rem 100 MB file download from a gigabit server in Holland
    wget.exe "http://89.248.167.11/100mb.bin" -U "" -O nul
    rem 500 MB file download from Dallas, Texas
    wget.exe "http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip" -U "" -O nul
    These tests immediately discard the downloaded data instead of writing it to disk, so they don't require an SSD.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    Right now is working like it should , i have changed only the network card ,since i figured that changing the cables will be a pain in my ass since the router is in the attic ,i have to follow the old cable to find the hole trough sealing trough my room and so on ,change try etc etc...changed the network ....tested on IPT ....86 MB / sec ..on sleepy hollow torrent

money wasted on the cables ...30-40 Bucks
    mostly the controller change trough AHCII made the boost ..and the new network polished the boost until the max...i should have...so probably if anybody has speed conection beside checking cables ,routers and so ,have also to check first if they are on AHCII first
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (08.01.17) , anon (08.01.17)

+ Reply to Thread