+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why can't I just report 0 downloaded and not send "completed" events?

Question Why can't I just report 0 downloaded and not send "completed" events?

Hi,

I want to download a lot of torrents from a private tracker site, it does not have a lot of leechers, the only reasonable way to have decent ratio while downloading all the info I'm interested in is to upload thousands of new torrents, which I don't have.

So I've decided to look into cheating, and it seems to me that a lot of issues people are facing with hard-to-cheat trackers could be solved by just pretending not to download any data.

Let me elaborate. As far as my understanding of bittorrent protocol goes, the process would be as follows:

1. I download peer list from the tracker, my passkey is used to link my torrent client with my site account
    2. I get a list of peers, peer_id is randomly chosen by my client.
    3. I download data from some peer, the peer does not know my passkey / username on the site
    4. Normally I would send the number of data I downloaded, but we'll skip this step as if I downloaded nothing
    5. As download finishes, normally we'd announce to the tracker that we're ready to seed, but we'll skip that too
    6. Now we have the file, tracker doesn't know we've downloaded anything, seeds we've downloaded from have reported some uploads, but the tracker can't link those uploads to my account, so it can't ban me for this.

Is it correct?

Sorry for a noob question, I just want to understand what I'm doing before risking a valuable account.

Thanks!
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss176
    what you need is this http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=24964
    it's called ghost leeching, whether it works depends on the tracker
    for zero day general trackers it might work without any risk to your account.
    for some high level specialized tracker not so much, because protection against cheating is better there.
    what is the tracker in question?
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

totallynotaleecher (18.04.16)

Quote Originally Posted by cirulilu View Post
    what you need is this http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=24964
    it's called ghost leeching, whether it works depends on the tracker
    for zero day general trackers it might work without any risk to your account.
    for some high level specialized tracker not so much, because protection against cheating is better there.
    what is the tracker in question?
    Thanks for your reply

The tracker is bіblіotік

But still though, how can this be detected? By my client requesting peers for some torrent, then seeders reporting uploads for the same torrent?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss176
    it's not advisable to cheat on bibliotik. it not that easy to get into that tracker. and if you lose that account who knows whether you will be able to get another one.

and yes, you don't report download, but the seeders report upload. and if the staff is checking for ratio discrepancies they might find out that you're cheating.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

totallynotaleecher (18.04.16)

Quote Originally Posted by cirulilu View Post
    and yes, you don't report download, but the seeders report upload. and if the staff is checking for ratio discrepancies they might find out that you're cheating.
    Ok, well I guess the only reliable way to check if it will work is to try it :) Thanks for your help, cirulilu!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    Quote Originally Posted by totallynotaleecher View Post
    1. I download peer list from the tracker, my passkey is used to link my torrent client with my site account
    2. I get a list of peers, peer_id is randomly chosen by my client.
    3. I download data from some peer, the peer does not know my passkey / username on the site
    4. Normally I would send the number of data I downloaded, but we'll skip this step as if I downloaded nothing
    5. As download finishes, normally we'd announce to the tracker that we're ready to seed, but we'll skip that too
    6. Now we have the file, tracker doesn't know we've downloaded anything, seeds we've downloaded from have reported some uploads, but the tracker can't link those uploads to my account, so it can't ban me for this.
    This is essentially ghostleeching. The method has some variations, but all of them are documented on this forum, so feel free to look them up.

You're wrong on item no. 6, however. While this is a pretty stealthy trick, the tracker can (and does) log that you've downloaded the .torrent file, started it at least once, and then the others started uploading data without you ever reporting download. If this pattern repeats itself throughout many torrents, what do you think it's going to look like for you?

The only way to work around that is obtaining the metadata and peer list through completely external means (hint: many people seed lots of stuff on the same IP and port), and it shifts the risk of a ban to those you download from.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    This is essentially ghostleeching. The method has some variations, but all of them are documented on this forum, so feel free to look them up.

You're wrong on item no. 6, however. While this is a pretty stealthy trick, the tracker can (and does) log that you've downloaded the .torrent file, started it at least once, and then the others started uploading data without you ever reporting download. If this pattern repeats itself throughout many torrents, what do you think it's going to look like for you?

The only way to work around that is obtaining the metadata and peer list through completely external means (hint: many people seed lots of stuff on the same IP and port), and it shifts the risk of a ban to those you download from.
    yeah but until I download any data, there's no reason to look into my activity? so I could get the metadata and peer list for all the torrents without downloading the data, then later download everything I want without ever contacting the tracker (so long the same peers continue seeding)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    That depends on how much you wait, and how far in the past they're willing to dig into their logs when they notice something wrong. If you delay too much, residential dynamic IPs may change and seedboxes may have deleted the torrent or changed their port.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread