+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External HDD vs Adaptor and internal HDD

External HDD vs Adaptor and internal HDD

So I am in need of an external HDD but I'd like a sollution that will allow me to change only the HDD and not the enclosure when the HDD breaks or is aging.
    Most of the internal drives from here HDD extern pentru un plus de capacitate la calculatorul sau laptopul tau | ALTEX are impossible unmount and most have this maximum capacity size. So if an enclosure is sold with an hdd of 1TB, I don't think it'll work with a 3TB hdd. So no sollution for future upgrates.
    So there's this.

I could also buy an SATA to USB converter with external power source. This allows to use any hdd whether 2.5'' or 3.5'' and will work OK.

What do you think?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    All USB disk enclosures have a size limit. There are some which support up to 3 or 4 TB, but they're pretty expensive. I once had a really cheap one which couldn't do LBA48 and was limited to 137 GB!

My recommendation: buy an eSATA enclosure. You'll get a direct connection instead of a USB bridge, and thus there won't be any limitations.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

I wouldn't risk buying an eSata enclosure because it not as universal as USB. Not all computers/laptops have an eSATA port.
    I was thinking about this Kama Connect 3: CPU Kühler, Lüfter, Lüftersteuerung, PC Netzteile von Scythe as the adaptor. Does these have any size limit?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I was thinking about this Kama Connect 3: CPU Kühler, Lüfter, Lüftersteuerung, PC Netzteile von Scythe as the adaptor. Does these have any size limit?
    Maybe. There is an official forum, so you could ask there before buying.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    If ya havnt got one yet, you might want to consider an internal hdd docking station. Current ones dont typically have capacity limits. Ive used a 5tb hdd 3.5" in mine.

Ive bought a couple SATA to USB converter with external power source a few years back and they were more trouble than it was worth. But that was a few years back, maybe the quality has improved since then. The problem was the flimsy wires. Come to think of it if I taped them up to reinforce them I might have still been able to use them now. They are probably the cheapest way to go though.
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (14.01.16)

A docking station would my preference too. But I also need something portable.
    What are your thoughts about https://conectica.ro/adaptoare-conve...1883#descriere
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    Did a search on that. Found no mention of maximum capacity, and a review says it doesn't work with 3.5" disks (which you'd think it would, given it has a separate USB cable just for additional power).
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (16.01.16)

and a review says it doesn't work with 3.5" disks (which you'd think it would, given it has a separate USB cable just for additional power)
    Right but I don't understand that. Basically an USB port outputs 5V with 500mA. Thus two ports should have the quivalent of 1A, right? 1A is more than enough for any HDD AFAIK.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    Indeed, and USB 3.x supplies up to 0.9 A if a blue device is plugged into a blue port, which only confuses me further.

In either case, plugging both heads of the Y-cable should supply enough current to spin any SATA disk of any form factor.
    Thanks

Indeed, and USB 3.x supplies up to 0.9 A if a blue device is plugged into a blue port, which only confuses me further.
    Old computers don't have USB 3.0 so that's not very useful to me.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    Addendum to my other post: USB 2.0 only provides 500 mA (5 load units) after negotiation with the host, and only 100 mA (1 unit) until then. If the power cable is "dumb" and doesn't have the Data+ and Data- rails wired, 100 is as much as it'll get.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (17.01.16)

So you are saying that if I have an USB cable that has only vcc and gnd , it will output 100mA?

Is there any visual way to check how many wires the connector has? Without cutting it opened of course0.
    No, there isn't one unless you use a multimeter and check for continuity.

Now, say the USB 2.0 cable has just vcc and gnd. Is there a hack I can build to enable full power? Like an usb extender that has all wires? Maybe a short between data+ and data-?
    Will that work?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 17.01.16 at 12:33.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39435
    So you are saying that if I have an USB cable that has only vcc and gnd , it will output 100mA?
    Yes.

Is there any visual way to check how many wires the connector has? Without cutting it opened of course0.
    No, there isn't one unless you use a multimeter and check for continuity.
    You could make a small incision in the cable and then cover it with insulating tape

Now, say the USB 2.0 cable has just vcc and gnd. Is there a hack I can build to enable full power? Like an usb extender that has all wires? Maybe a short between data+ and data-?
    Will that work?
    Shorting them won't work. They must be wired to the USB controller IC, and that must be programmed to tell the OS there's some device on the other side of the cable (even one of class "other" that doesn't do anything) and ask for 500 mA.

Some self-powered USB hubs aren't smart and will give as much current as asked if not connected to a computer, so they'd be useful here, although you won't see that advertised as a feature.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (18.01.16)

Some self-powered USB hubs aren't smart and will give as much current as asked if not connected to a computer, so they'd be useful here, although you won't see that advertised as a feature.
    But I need it connected to a computer.

You are probably thinking something of:
    http://h.dropcanvas.com/o67wq/Untitled%20Diagram.png
    Last edited by Master Razor; 18.01.16 at 09:11.
    Thanks

So I have found a confirmation of what i've known all along but could not prove it

Each USB port is capable of delivering 500mA @ 5Volts max and each port has built in semiconductor fuse that disconnects when external device power drain exceeds rated power output. This fuse will heal itself once the offending device disconnects. This fuse inherits tolerance of 5-10% of 500mA plus or minus. That means it could be disconnecting either on 450mA or 550mA of current drain.
    Taken from https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-el...m-healthy/7709

This is what I am experiencing with adapters that use only one USB connector.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast