+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me good movies from 2010-2015

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    didn't read the book, but i'd expect tyler to self-destruct (during his mayhem-like phase), serving the purpose of advancing our original character to his next level - the original character was always the real one, tyler was a wild/violent phase, a fictional person, a persistent bubble of soap, if you will
    That's what I wanted to believe in both instances (although I watched the movie first, the book's ending is more ambiguous). Do note that a sequel was published in the form of comic books. I haven't read them yet, but the announcement said Tyler goes on and is "maybe" something more than an alternate personality.

heh, i kinda thought of skipping that one, guess now i'll check it out afterall
    Looking forward to it!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (22.01.16)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 10/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss18
    then... you may want to check this...

30 movies similar to "Fight Club"

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls005714780/
    Last edited by zhnujm00; 20.01.16 at 22:35.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anon (20.01.16)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    the review keeps obsessing about jack becoming this or that personality, but it is more like he is getting to know them, getting influenced by them and changing own views in the process

fight club could allude to all those personalities within, 'fighting' over jack, while he, being the only 'real' person among them, is taking their blows until he settles for a personality which is closest to what he wants, so in a way he gets to be free from the rest and can enjoy himself every which way he wants with his personality-of-choice, hence: project mayhem?
    its like saying: if fear was a personality, he'd want you to be like him or with him, if you hang out with fear, you become fear(ful) or you start acting in ways that resemble fear - in a way, you are like the company you keep

in the beginning of the movie, jack is acting like the person society shapes him to be (a drone, a consumer, a zombie), which is not what he wants or desires, so he feels lonely/helpless/depressive/..., searching for a solution to this problem (as represented by those therapy groups)
    so he meets various sides of his personality (represented by the main movie characters):
    - tyler durden (dialer turd-en) - the aggressive, inconsiderate, 'walks over corpses' side (the beast), an extreme masculine way unaware of deeper spiritual truths (self-serving will)
    - marla (alarm) - the feminine side, the receptive or caring side
    - boss - the obedient side, the societal follower side?
    - bob - the side that over-identifies with his mother?
    - others

so when jack fights tyler, he is refusing to let the aggressive side 'take over', he is refusing to act in durden-esque ways (too extreme)

no reflections = jack is the only person, others are roles or personalities or sides
    no testicles theme = jack's insecurity, passivity, lack of decisiveness, action, defeatism
    dildos theme = may be a symbol of fakeness, of a lack of the real thing, of lacking sexuality that needs sex toys to get excited again
    hotel theme = they are only passengers, passing by (towards project mayhem?)

human sacrifices - may be understood as personality/role changes which jack goes through (like reincarnations) until he finds what he is searching for

are these personalities real? if jack perceives them, then they are real to him (he is the one experiencing them), but they need not be real persons, they may simply be roles or personalities that may be played-out or experienced or chosen or identified with, like some highly personalized item you would choose from a (personal) department store

is jack actually tyler durden? no, but he can decide to behave (or even become) like tyler

is anything in the movie real? even if its all happening inside of jack's head, its still real to him (he is the one experiencing it), but it may not be a part of the material world visible to others, let alone a part of the ultimate reality (in which you can perceive things as they are, in their essence)

what is ultimate reality? the kind of reality that does not change its essence, that is eternally constant - what or who someone or something truly IS, the truth (the ultimate truth about who you are does not change with your experiences, unlike your current 'truth' or idea thereof)

does jack become marla? no, he recognizes marla as the missing part of his life (what is commonly referred to as: 'the better half'), while abandoning tyler as an extreme that has no future (or more correctly: tyler's future is self-destruction)

what does 'project mayhem' represent? it may represent the afterlife for some (for others it may be a RIP kind of afterlife), since in that realm there are no material boundaries of any kind and things may become mayhemic, but always aligned with deeper spiritual truths (example: in the spiritual realm there is no need for exploiting or misusing others)

You are not a unique snowflake, you are the same decaying matter as everything else.
    if referring to the false self (the roles we currently play in life, we currently identify with), this may be somewhat correct (though, by careful examination, no two particles are completely identical, incl. say, snowflakes)
    if referring to the true self (which defines us as an entity), it is completely incorrect - there are no spiritual clones, every spiritual entity is unique and every experience they have is also unique

the condom is the glass slipper of our generation
    nowadays people often choose their partners by the amount of sexual pleasure they provide

God = creator.
    Breasts = nurturer/mother (creator).

These are two very direct references to Bob being some type of creator or God – or at the very least, the origins of other characters.
    lol
    someone's project mayhem got an early start, eh?

btw. i haven't seen the movie in quite a while so some things may be off, considering the actual movie contents
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (24.01.16)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12