+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Configuration help

PC Configuration help

I want to buy a new computer and was wondering if you guys could help me. I chose the following components but I'm not entirely sure.
    I'm going to use it very much for virtual machines, coding in C, some gaming. I won't play games often but when I do, I expect them to work fine.

This is my list:
    Procesor Intel Haswell Refresh, Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz box - PC Garage
    Cooler CPU Noctua NH-D14 - PC Garage
    Placa de baza ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER - PC Garage
    Memorie HyperX Beast 32GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit - PC Garage
    Placa video GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 G1 GAMING 4GB DDR5 256-bit - PC Garage
    SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch - PC Garage
    Sursa Seasonic X-750 750W - PC Garage

All of these must fit in my Fractal Design R5 case. What do you think?

Thank you.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

I'd personally get a cheaper motherboard if you're not focusing on a mainly gaming system. I'd also get a skylake over a Haswell. Haswells generally run very hot which is meh. Plus the skylake is pretty damn amazing in comparison
    All in all, that system looks good! :) Every bit is pretty much top notch. Might op for the i7 if your main focus is virtual machines. It will make a difference, also makes a huge difference while compiling code. If mainly gaming, the i5 is plenty. (even though it's also plenty for VM and coding).

When coding and vm; I'd go for a cheaper mobo with an i7 instead so the price stays more or less the same
    When gaming, i'd stick to your setup.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 15.09.15 at 19:39.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.09.15) , Master Razor (15.09.15)

If not going to overclock, is there any reason to get the K edition of the CPU?

Also I've been told by a friend of mine that CPUs that have HT take more resources, like more L3 memory for instance, and are slower than those without HT. Is that true?
    From what I've uderstood each real core and each HT core will occupy some L3 memory.
    Thanks

no reason to get a K version if not oc'ing, it's slightly faster on stock but nothing noticeable. only worth it when oc'ing imho

I don't know about the L3 memory, but a hyperthreaded cpu is about 25% faster than their variant without it. (rough numbers)
    Maybe it will be slower if everything you run is single threaded, but truth is that little is. It's one of those discussions that doesn't really matter imho. HT is better if you have software that can take advantage of it (e.g. a compiler, photoshop, etc)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 15.09.15 at 20:38.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    I'm drooling a bit

I think the system is great for pretty much everything you're planning to do on it. This should be enough for a few years at least.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    What will setup above cost you?
    Thanks

Roughly about 2000 USD.
    Thanks

I'm using right now an Intel i7 860S with 8GB of RAM and AMD 5770 1GB video card. These components were bought in 2010 and we're almost in 2016 and is working great.
    And I'm going to use this new system at least until 2020.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 16.09.15 at 14:40.
    Thanks

It's actually far more interesting to buy cheaper hardware more often. Your graphics card e.g. won't be able to run directx version [whatever] by 2020. Buying expensive hardware once gives you a monster in the beginning and a piece of shit by the end.

You'll end up with the same amount of cash in the end, but will have more up to date hardware by the end and medium range hardware is more than sufficient to run pretty much anything you want.

This applies to e.g. graphics cards with directx, today the HEVC hardware decoding support is being added, for cpu's is may be new virtualization techniques or new instructions to speed things up. All of this makes it more interesting to stay up to date with cheaper hardware than get a monster pc once every 10 years.

Though 2020 is only 5 years away, the pc will still be decent by then. The graphics card will need replacing before then though, most likely.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I'm using right now an Intel i7 860S with 8GB of RAM and AMD 5770 1GB video card. These components were bought in 2010 and we're almost in 2016 and is working great.
    And I'm going to use this new system at least until 2020.
    I suddenly feel the need to mention my current desktop computer was built on this month, 11 years ago.

The only modern feature I miss is hardware virtualization.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I suddenly feel the need to mention my current desktop computer was built on this month, 11 years ago.

I srsly want hardware HEVC decoding though :(
    Thanks

Buying expensive hardware once gives you a monster in the beginning and a piece of shit by the end.
    All hardware are like that. What makes the GPU special?

I don't believe in upgrades because for instance now, all components are from the same year roughly. A bottleneck will occur if in 2 years from now I buy a better video card. In that case the CPU will be crap and so on.

I did too. If you remember what I've wriiten on the chap & spam thread, the current computer was a gift. It was bought in 2010, yes, but I received it 2013 for free. Technically the last time I bought a computer was in 2009. And I got a crappy one at that.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    All hardware are like that. What makes the GPU special?
    Because the things it has to support grow a whole lot faster than all other hardware. A new DirectX releases regularly, as well as video codecs ( --> HEVC )
    I'm not saying to upgrade your current pc though. By all means, it's old enough to fully replace. Just saying you don't have to go all out and get a 2000 USD one while a 1000 USD one this year and another 1000USD one in 2.5 years also means 2000USD spread over 5 years but you'll end up with a newer system.
    Thanks

I'm taking your advice into consideration Sazzy. However I would like go on i7 4th gen mainly because they are cheaper and have a lower TDP value. That big-ass cooler I'm getting should handle it anyway (i hope).
    Now from i7 4790K 4.0GHz and 4790 3.6GHz I'll go on the K one simply because it has a higher frequency. Prices between them are sort of the same.
    For the motherboard, could you help pe pick one out? These PCs once they become obsolete will be used for PFSENSE and other stuff. So a dual-lan mobo would be appreciated. I'm thinking it is also a good strategy in case one gets burnt, wouldn't you think so?

This computer will run at least 10 hours a day, every day for the next 5 years or so. So something durable with lots of performance. What would be your choice?

On the GPU, it must hold my monitors 3 x 1080p. I would think it puts a lot of stress playing a game on one screen and on the other watching youtube.
    Thanks

Getting a second lan card is usually a better and cheaper option. Dual lan mobo's are expensive and often use only one controller for both ports. I have never ever ever had a burnt lan port and if that does happen it's likely the rest of your motherboard is fried too.

If you want 3 monitors, take into consideration you'll have to hook at least one to your i7's APU or have monitors with display port. You can't hook 3 DVI monitors to one card. (2DVI + 1DP works, tops, nothing more)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 16.09.15 at 19:43.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast