Thread: Linux on Convertable laptops

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Linux on Convertable laptops

Hi everyone.

Was curios to know if there's anyone on the board that may have experience or a history, including any unforeseen challenges, on installing a persistant Linux box on a convertable laptop. Convertable because the drivers will need a rotation app and I don't know if the current and latest kernel supports rotations issues/support.

I've done some Googling and have found some older (pre-2014) posts that sway both ways. I understand that some distro's might need MagikRotation (https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation). I understand that Dell does sell the 11-inch Dell Inspiron 11 3000 and 13-inch 7000 convertable notebooks with Ubuntu pre-installed (Dell's New Hybrid Laptops Will Offer Ubuntu Preinstalled - OMG! Ubuntu!). That link is from last year.

However, my main question is not really about installing (specifically) Ubuntu on a convertable, I'm reffereing to installing any Linux/GNU OS (such as Open Suse, Arch systems, Fedora-Red Hat based systems, and even Debian based systems) in general, on a convertable.
    Hence, am looking to hear if any one has had a history of or encountered any challenges in installing a Linux OS on a convertable. For the sake of satisfying your curiosity, am thinking of purchasing the HP ENVY 15-U011DX x360 Convertible 15.6" Laptop Intel i7-4510U 2GHz 8GB 1TB and dual booting Linux/GNU OS on that after wiping off any pre-installed Windows OS.
    Last edited by SealLion; 05.04.15 at 00:27.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    I can't help with the subject at hand, but want to point out that if you don't plan on using Windows, you should either look for a seller offering that laptop without it preinstalled, or ask for a refund on the software license. That way you'll avoid paying extra for an OS you aren't going to use.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (05.04.15)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Didn't think of it earlier, but yes, good point.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread