Thread: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hi folks.

Here's some news that I have been reading about for the last few months throughout the net. And not just on DW either. The post on DistroWatch is a bit dated from the 18th of this month.
    It's LMDE v2 (release candidate). I wouldn't run over and download this version in the hopes of thinking that it'll be cool to have it installed just because it's new. There are a few flaws and bugs in it. Some small and minor perhaps that can be overcome not too difficult enough.
    Some of the things that is speculated or talked about with this Debian Edition is that it might not receive as quick or as many updates as some of the other versions of Linux Mint. Mainly due to usage or popularity of it amongst the rest of the mainstream LM versions. That's just my opinion and of what I've read on the net, though.
    However, if your wanting to review some of the release notes, by all means go ahead. Probably a good idea to read them first.

cheers. Enjoy your day.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (26.03.15) , Sazzy (26.03.15) , Blocker (24.03.15)

Is mint still the most popular distro atm?
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    HI Sazzy. I believe that Mint is still the most popular distro on the DW listing.
    Right after good 'ol Ubuntu. And hopefully none too bloated as Ubuntu has been turning out to be .
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Yeah, not too fond of Ubuntu anymore to be honest. Might give this another whirl. Tried it a year or so ago and it wasn't too bad. I wish there were better ui skins though
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (29.03.15)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Yeah, not too fond of Ubuntu anymore to be honest. Might give this another whirl. Tried it a year or so ago and it wasn't too bad. I wish there were better ui skins though
    I take it that your referring to that OS being or becoming quite bloated? If so, I agree. There are others that I feel are quite bloated. OpenSuse is another one that is very bloated. In my case, it's start up reminds of when I was using Windows. A very slow progressive boot up. Ubuntu is great for beginners. I'll give it that much. The forums are a great help for those starting out in Linux as the help there, at least from my experience, was excellent .

I find that some of the Arch systems are the complete opposite. Antergos is one that I personnnally favor. I favor it because of it's very quick boot up. Takes literally less than about 6-7 seconds on my laptop. It doesn't come with junk software that I don't care to have to begin with. And even then, the software it does come with is quite small in size. Doesn't take a whole lot of disk space. At least for me that is. I tried ArchBang before. It's the same as the father of the Arch systems and it's a bit more work but after I worked the system a bit, it was quite pleasant to work with. ArchBang is quite minimalistic and definitly ready for the user who likes speed, responsiveness and a lower CPU footprint. Very much like the XFCE systems.

What did you like about the Debian edition? I would think that it would have a quick response to user input.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread