+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: osx86: Dual booting with windows on a normal machine.

osx86: Dual booting with windows on a normal machine.

Anyone running osx86? I like osx but I really can't spend the cash on an actual machine. My hardware seems to perfectly match the requirements, though.
    About to get a copy. Curious if anyone else has tried it?

Guide: Beginners Guide to Dual Boot Windows and OS X
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    I wish that I could be more helpful to directly osx86 but I have used extensively System Commander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (version 9.04 for me) for many operating systems but never Darwin I have had on a single machine like 10 at once and it works beautifully but I don't think it's maintained any more. I don't have any machines that are very new so I don't know. But I might think there might be other multiboot softwares out there that would work better than the 'beginners guide' since I find 'System Commander' so excellent. Been using this for years.
    Application error: warning -> battery failure imminent ~ shutting down NOW permanent == message to Earth -- finalized shudown code ... 6ikf9849l+!~:'?.|\
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (16.07.14) , Lucius (16.07.14)

Thanks,

Actually getting it installed is not really an issue. Niresh and Unibeast are pretty easy to use and do the job perfectly.
    Just wondering if it's worth the trouble though. After reading a bit more, you can't even update osx86, you have to reinstall a new version instead :(

Obviously it won't be as stable as having an actual mac, either.
    Thanks

You going to lose nothing though, I am pretty sure that it will be a great experience and some one have to try and give me feedback.

I have heard that it's stable enough to enjoy it but it will never be as a Mac obviously.
    Last edited by Lucius; 17.07.14 at 02:31.
    Thanks

Fair enough, except for time, which is pretty damn precious Lacking time as is :(

I'll think about it during my days off, which are pretty soon-ish. If I go through with an actual install, I'll post my findings.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (17.07.14)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Obviously it won't be as stable as having an actual mac, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    I have heard that it's stable enough to enjoy it but it will never be as a Mac obviously.
    actually it is. i'm running hackint0shes since they came up and starting with the core2duo, if done right, you'll have no disadvantages at all. 3rd party drivers, virtualization ... you name it, everything works exactly as it should. in fact you have more options compared to real macs.

if you have the right components and know what you're doing you'll have a full mac plus the extra features. well except for the price of course
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (19.07.14) , ParamouR (18.07.14) , Sazzy (18.07.14)

I have a newer icore, a gigabyte motherboard and a hd6xxx graphics card. Reading the interwebs, that seems like a perfect match.

Thanks instab, you may have just convinced me to go through with it after all!

Did you follow a guide somewhere? Or mainly browsed through the osx86 project site?
    Also, I haven't found too much info on this, but will I be able to keep my current windows installation, or will I have to install it _afterwards_ like most guides say?
    Last edited by Sazzy; 18.07.14 at 22:54.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Did you follow a guide somewhere? Or mainly browsed through the osx86 project site?
    neither, back when it started a few forum posts were all you got
    but these days tonymac and insanelymac should have more than enough info about pretty much everything

Also, I haven't found too much info on this, but will I be able to keep my current windows installation, or will I have to install it _afterwards_ like most guides say?
    no idea. i've never been a windows guy and the few times i had to run it i used a separate disk.

and for the record, 10.10 is a no show yet because it only accepts signed kexts which prevents the use of the previously popular fakesmc. that's however only interesting if you can bear the new looks
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    neither, back when it started a few forum posts were all you got
    but these days tonymac and insanelymac should have more than enough info about pretty much everything

no idea. i've never been a windows guy and the few times i had to run it i used a separate disk.

and for the record, 10.10 is a no show yet because it only accepts signed kexts which prevents the use of the previously popular fakesmc. that's however only interesting if you can bear the new looks
    You say that leopard is the last version that can be installed on a hackintosh ?
    If so, why this site has guids for next releases
    Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides: Hackintosh.com
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    You say that leopard is the last version that can be installed on a hackintosh ?
    never said anything like that
    why do you think so?

btw: it seems the signed kexts problem of the 10.10 dp1 can be avoided by using kext-dev-mode=1 as bootflag
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (20.07.14)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    I have a newer icore, a gigabyte motherboard and a hd6xxx graphics card. Reading the interwebs, that seems like a perfect match.

Thanks instab, you may have just convinced me to go through with it after all!
    You should have known Instab is the person to talk these things with

He once tried to help me install MacOS on my PC, but had to stop when I told him which hardware I had.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (20.07.14)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    You should have known Instab is the person to talk these things with

He once tried to help me install MacOS on my PC, but had to stop when I told him which hardware I had.
    I knew he was all linux-ey, but I never knew he was into hakintosh

Currently set up a niresh 10.9 usb stick.. Might install it later tonight if things don't pop up!

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    btw: it seems the signed kexts problem of the 10.10 dp1 can be avoided by using kext-dev-mode=1 as bootflag
    A dp really doesn't seem like it's worth the time though.. i do like the new looks, however... I'll probably wait for an official before going yosemite
    Last edited by Sazzy; 20.07.14 at 20:02.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    yeah i remember

Currently set up a niresh 10.9 usb stick.. Might install it later tonight if things don't pop up!
    just for the record, for some reason the vast majority of all guides name a usb stick as source for the installation which of course is only one option. using a separate disk for example is much nicer
    Thanks

I just installed it after using win32diskimager to write the 10.9 dmg file to a usb disk.

Stuff installed smoothly (went with chameleon cause clover was being a bitch) on a disk on its own (so no sharing). Ran multibeast afterwards as well.

However, I can't seem to rotate my screen to portrait (even when holding option/command/whatever when accessing the menu). My IGP doesn't seem to be working either, even though I ticked the option, meaning only 2 out of 4 monitors are currently showing picture. My main monitor, a 2560x1440 monitor, refuses to show a decent picture and decides to just stay white. At this time of day where everything is dark outside, that is f'ing bright for the eyes The monitor worked fine during installation, though. Changing resolutions does not help. My other monitor, the only monitor that is working like it should, is of course that one monitor that is in portrait mode. Having sit in front of my computer for the last 30 minutes with my head tilted, trying to figure out the drivers. (too lazy to tilt the monitor back, it just needs to work damnit!!) Also, while graphics drivers should be installed and i have an ati hd6xxx series (which is even used in real macs), some things are rather flashy... (loading bar in safari, for one)

Also have to boot with -x since normal boot gets stuck and complains about HPET being disabled, while it is indeed enabled. I don't know what that means, but guides told me to do so.

All in all, first experience not so good. I had an actual mac years ago, and I was pretty happy with that, though. I'm not giving up just yet, but if I can't find any quick fixes for these issues, I'll probably throw in the towel. I'm not really one to give up quickly, but as far as os'es go, things need to go fucking smooth. I'll easily obsess over minor details for a couple of days when I'm working on my drawings, but things like this (e.g. on os level) seriously need to work withing 15-20 minutes to keep me happy.

Luckily, my win8 boot wasn't borked too hard. It did some repairs and booted up again.

Not happy :(
    Last edited by Sazzy; 20.07.14 at 22:43.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    things like this (e.g. on os level) seriously need to work withing 15-20 minutes to keep me happy.
    hehe if these are your priorities then an os hack, what a hackint0sh is, simply isn't the right thing for you

that is of course a naive miscalculation if you sum up all the extra time you have to spend on windows over time fighting its countless idiosyncrasies. the time for getting, installing and configuring the numerous anti-whatever-ware alone easily equals the time spent on getting osx set up right once. and dü to its smooth disk image handling emphasis is on "once" in that case indeed which is only one of endless examples of how much nicer life can be with having actually useful stuff instead of fighting with os quirks all the time
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast