+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OpenElec

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

OpenElec

I' ve never come across this one before. So for me it's new. But this distro is actually specialized and I find highly interesting. And quite honestly, I probably wouldn't have bothered to post on this one. However, I'd like to give this distro the exception.

I neither use Apple TV nor Raspberry Pie. Nevertheless, I think this one is really cool if you like the Opensourced XBMC on your system and use it too. The other thing is that it's not Ubuntu based because quite honestly, the first thing that I thought of when I noticed this is that it would be Debian/Ubuntu based. However, it's not. It's quite independant. And in saying that, you won't find the usual office suites or tools pre-installed as is with many distros. This one is purely a default XMBC desktop. Really cool and very innovative I find. Good for these guys.

Check it out.

OpenELEC is a Linux-based embedded operating system built specifically to run XBMC, the open source entertainment media hub. The idea behind OpenELEC is to allow people to use their Home Theatre PC (HTPC) like any other device one might have attached to a TV, like a DVD player or Sky box. Instead of having to manage a full operating system, configure it and install the packages required to turn it into a hybrid media center, OpenELEC is designed to be simple to install, manage and use, making it more like running a set-top box than a full-blown computer.
    DistroWatch.com: OpenELEC

more info here:

OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC 4.0 released
    Last edited by SealLion; 07.05.14 at 03:03.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

tr-cht-fx-242p (09.05.14)

Or you might also be interested in raspbmc, xbian or even xbmcbuntu.
    for those that like total control and a really lightweight result, they can follow this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369
    Last edited by Sazzy; 07.05.14 at 18:43.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

tr-cht-fx-242p (09.05.14) , SealLion (08.05.14)

+ Reply to Thread