+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 392 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 5877

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

Slik, just for kicks, what do you think about heaven and hell?
    What do you say happens to a person once it's dead, does he actually return in another form after a while or just stays forever in there?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    My backup method is:

Two external disks, 1 TB each. One's 3.5" with a separate power supply, the other is a 2.5" Toshiba. Both birthday gifts, so I had no choice on their size or capacity, but 2 TB is quite a lot.

I've made raw disk images of all the internal disks in my desktop computer and laptop to provide an initial backup. Further ones are made on an incremental manner - mount each image with read/write access, then run ROBOCOPY /MIR for each partition.

I was thinking of making everything fit on a single terabyte, then duplicate the data among both drives for extra redundancy, but it's unlikely that I'd ever have two out of three fail at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    The only problem with that is that most external drives are prone to failure. With a bit of bad luck, they might die before the original. (thus -> get a normal hdd and buy a separate enclosure~ )
    This is news to me. I've only ever had one external drive "die", the IDE-to-USB bridge within somehow having stopped working. And that was on an enclosure bought separately, as you recommend. I had to purchase a new one (at a time when I had no job and very little money ) to get access to my data again.

I can duplicate my documents to 10 different cd-r's, but I don't consider that a backup. Sure, most likely 1 of those 10 will hold up, but with my luck and experience they'll all 10 croak before I need my backup again.
    CDs and DVDs are pretty reliable in my experience, but disc rot and discs that can no longer be read after some time (or won't be read by a drive that otherwise works fine, but will on others!) are all real things and I've had them happen. Thankfully not with backups, or anything that can't be found elsewhere.

Anyway, I think optical media, other than the still expensive Blu-Ray discs, no longer provides enough space to be a comfortable backup solution excepting situational usage. Though I do remember when my life fit in five CD-Rs or less...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Man, I just love Lana Del Ray. Wish she would come to me so we could both kill ourselves.
    Well, that is not a good business model

Thanks

They shouldn't rot in less than 5 years though. Especially not when stored in protective casing and written at the lowest speed setting possible, just in case they do rot that fast.

Anyway, all the stuff I have today is either far too large to duplicate (too expensive - 15+gb a pop) or not important enough. The very few things that are I keep encrypted in the cloud.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    And when you do, as I would, automize your backups by using SyncBackPro - powerful computer backup software. The power user's backup software. . IMO the most advanced syncher on the web.

If you cannot remember your trackers tell me what you've had/need and I'll see if I can invite you.
    I actually remember the 2-3 most frequently used ones will let you know if I need anything highly appreciated
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Man, I just love Lana Del Ray. Wish she would come to me so we could both kill ourselves.
    Man You are scaring me do you have someone close to talk to , Talk to them about how you feel and it will help.

On heaven and hell who knows what will happen once we are dead hence the smart thing is to enjoy this life we have and do what we enjoy take care mate

I actually had a really close friend who did commit suicide last year trust me you don't want to do that the amount of pain it will inflict on your loved ones is truly unbelivable and people close to you will live with the regret of not being able to help you or be there for you like I now feel and believe me it hurts a lot loss of harddisk or any other variety of pain even breakup doesn't even compare to this.
    Last edited by ozymandis; 14.04.15 at 14:45.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (16.04.15) , yoco (14.04.15)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    They shouldn't rot in less than 5 years though. Especially not when stored in protective casing and written at the lowest speed setting possible, just in case they do rot that fast.
    Well, look at the bright side. You now have a decent assortment of:
    • frisbees that can be thrown really far.
    • portable disc-shaped mirrors. Nothing says "geek girl" like fixing your appearance with the assistance of a DVD-R.
    • house decoration. Hang them from a lamp or the ceiling and enjoy flooding your room with rainbow-colored lights!
    • emergency road triangles, if you arrange three of them in a triforce sort of way.

And if by any chance you stumble upon some damaged floppy disks, just think "potential pencil holder/plant pot/hard cover for a small notepad".
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozymandis View Post
    Man You are scaring me do you have someone close to talk to , Talk to them about how you feel and it will help.
    While it kind of creeps me out he says that often, it's important to remember that people who will commit suicide don't actually tell others.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Well, look at the bright side. You now have a decent assortment of:
    • frisbees that can be thrown really far.
    • portable disc-shaped mirrors. Nothing says "geek girl" like fixing your appearance with the assistance of a DVD-R.
    • house decoration. Hang them from a lamp or the ceiling and enjoy flooding your room with rainbow-colored lights!
    • emergency road triangles, if you arrange three of them in a triforce sort of way.

And if by any chance you stumble upon some damaged floppy disks, just think "potential pencil holder/plant pot/hard cover for a small notepad".
    They are now trash

edit: merge failed again :(
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

tr-cht-fx-242p (15.04.15)

I have done a tool guidance map for myself, needed to know what tools to buy.
    Hardware Usage Map.pdf
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    While it kind of creeps me out he says that often, it's important to remember that people who will commit suicide don't actually tell others.
    I think we have all felt like Razor at some point, and I have made several posts about it in the past, when it happened to me. There's quite a trip from that to actually killing yourself, though.

I cannot self-terminate.

They are now trash
    You human beings don't know what you have.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (15.04.15)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I think we have all felt like Razor at some point, and I have made several posts about it in the past, when it happened to me. There's quite a trip from that to actually killing yourself, though.

I cannot self-terminate.
    I could not agree more and yeah I too can not self terminate am too cool for that
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Anybody here reading the DBZ return of F oneshot and attack on titan share your thoughts
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    what do you think about heaven and hell?
    What do you say happens to a person once it's dead, does he actually return in another form after a while or just stays forever in there?
    heaven and hell have their meaning, just like everything else, we just can't quite understand what it is or how far it goes - some say it goes so far as to governing all aspects of the materialistic worlds (like employees working according to rules of the company/owner)
    if compared to a pc game: you enter a world/level and until you figure out how the game works/plays it'll be difficult to move through it ('moving past the hardships of life'), whereas heaven & hell behave like fixed aspects of the game (they don't change what they do throughout the game)
    or it would be more correct to say that pc games (just like everything else) speaks about certain aspects of the nature of reality and our place in it, whereas our part consists of having the experience (perceiving) and discovering what it is all about (learning)
    and most people think pc games are just some stupid toys for children that have no particularly important value, yet even such seemingly less relevant things have much to say if the observer can notice/understand the connections

the person returns in the materialistic realm as many times as necessary/needed (though always in another scenario with another role to play), once this stage is completed, he stays forever in the spiritual realm, performing his one true role (what is meant by: 'they were born to do it')

so when lana del rey sings 'we were born to die', she plays with dualities of birth & death that stand in stark contrast (catching our/her attention) and seem to nullify each other, yet each of them by themselves or even as a couple is in a way pointless without that which happens between them: the life/living experience - their purpose is to mark/represent the beginning and the end of a cycle, but they have no control over the contents of the cycle, nor can they define what the cycle was all about

an analogy to her words in the hindu tradition would be the trinity of brahma-vishnu-shiva, it would be like saying: we are born (by the creative work of brahma) to die (by the destructive work of shiva) - whereas the middle section of life was maintained by the work of vishnu (who can also be understood as the highest god, providing the purpose of the living experience and its meaningful connection to the events of birth & death)

note: (dead) person - meaning: the soul (disconnected from the dead/decomposing/transforming materialistic body)

@anon's cartoon:

heavy metal as a (sub-)genre is rarely dealing with such topics and the music has a positive vibe - what they meant was other sub-genres, like: some black metal (satanic), some death metal (nihilistic), etc.

the bands are interested in it (topics, sound, image, enjoying the feeling, fun)
    'just for the money' is a pretty superficial view, especially regarding the field (art, music)

(heavy) metal is actually not that profitable, except for a small number of established artists - the fans may be more loyal, but also quite critical and usually not having much money to spare - in general, profit is not the artist's main motivation

any artist would love to be able to deal with his interests and (at least) have enough money to keep it going but not that many can
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.04.15) , ozymandis (16.04.15)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    @anon's cartoon:

Stuff
    I know an authority on all things metal is speaking here, so I'll heed your words

On a sidenote, today I had the dreaded mobile phone undesirably shipped straight to my office, with another long-winded speech about the joys of chatting on a tiny screen.

"...even without a line, you can do it with your home's Wi-Fi!"
    "I don't have wireless Internet at home, never had. I have already told you in the past."1

The good news is that my surge protector has been repaired and seems to work fine, so I'll finally be able to use my desktop computer again. Also, reality brought me that 5.25" floppy drive I wanted, so only the USB dial-up modem remains on my wishlist.

1 = home is where the unfiltered high-speed wired link is. Zero latency, can't be hacked or jammed, never gets disconnected.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (17.04.15) , slikrapid (17.04.15)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    For a few weeks now, I have been visiting a technical school in another part of the city. They have tons of hardware they want to get rid of, and we arranged to have it dropped at our place rather than thrown away. It's mostly old stuff - nearly 10 year old computers, CRT monitors, ink-jet printers, and the occasional legendary item (an Apple IIc, a sadly broken '94 IBM ThinkPad laptop), but we can either make use of or sell everything.

What surprised me is how neatly and efficiently things run there. Everything's tidy - no graffiti, no scratched paint, no wires hanging from ceilings like vines. The workshop looks like a professional factory. I am told the people in charge get stuff done. It really shows.

My school is... almost like a slum falling apart in comparison. Getting the cleaners to actually do their work is a small miracle. One half of the workshop is full of dirt and dust, and the other an outright wasteland. The rector won't spend money on supplies that are necessary1, to the point the place has a six-figure amount of funds to its name on a bank account that sits unused and regularly losing its purchasing power due to inflation. Many of the other authorities don't care too much about anything either.

Just two years ago, I had never been to a technical school, so when I started working at mine it set the bar for what I should consider "normal". I now realize that we could be doing much, much better.

And the other one has a cookie factory some blocks away, so there's a permanent sweet, tasty smell of dough in the air.

1 = last year we complained about this, so he asked us to make a shopping list of computer hardware we required. He halved all the amounts ("2 1 external hard disks, 20 10 Serial ATA data cables") and didn't actually buy anything.
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (17.04.15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 392 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast