P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    It's probably ozymandis.
    I do rep without writing anything some times but it still shows name doesn't it
    Last edited by ozymandis; 13.04.15 at 10:20.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Yesterday my laptop fell when I was browsing SB-i and HDD was not detecting I opened the HDD saw platter was scratched and realized there goes all my collection of data of 5yrs so much hard work sleepless nights all for nought along with login info of all my torrent trackers and email ids FUBAR
    Last edited by ozymandis; 13.04.15 at 13:29.
    Thanks

I am very affraid of these things which is why I always backup keepass database, firefox configuration to dropbox, and other copies on my main PC and on my laptop and secondary PC and USB stick.
    680 Bookmarks of my life with an approx of 280 web accounts, including trackers.

Two things I am affraid as of right now: a hardware issue and a cryptovirus infection. If either of those get you, you are a dead man.

and HDD screwed I opened the HDD saw platter was scratched there goes all my collection of data of 5yrs
    Why did you unscrew your HDD?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss241
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I am very affraid of these things which is why I always backup keepass database, firefox configuration to dropbox, and other copies on my main PC and on my laptop and secondary PC and USB stick.
    680 Bookmarks of my life with an approx of 280 web accounts, including trackers.

Two things I am affraid as of right now: a hardware issue and a cryptovirus infection. If either of those get you, you are a dead man.

Why did you unscrew your HDD?
    True man but now I have come to accept it as finished life goes on

I unscrewed it to survey the damage to the platter as OS was not detecting HDD
    Last edited by ozymandis; 13.04.15 at 13:29.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    If you remember all the trackers you had accounts on and/or their associated addresses, IRC and your e-mail provider's support system should get you back on track. For the rest of your data... you may not be so fortunate.

Get an external disk and make backups on it regularly. That way you won't ever have to worry again. It took me a long time and several near-misses to learn this, but eventually I did. And if an active hard disk protection program is available for your laptop, install it.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Get an external disk and make backups on it regularly. That way you won't ever have to worry again.
    And when you do, as I would, automize your backups by using SyncBackPro - powerful computer backup software. The power user's backup software. . IMO the most advanced syncher on the web.

If you cannot remember your trackers tell me what you've had/need and I'll see if I can invite you.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

The only problem with that is that most external drives are prone to failure. With a bit of bad luck, they might die before the original. (thus -> get a normal hdd and buy a separate enclosure~ )
    Last edited by Sazzy; 13.04.15 at 17:13.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

The only problem with that is that most external drives are prone to failure. With a bit of bad luck, they might die before the original. (thus -> get a normal hdd and buy a separate enclosure~ )
    So? The data exists on PC and external HDD. Very unlikely both will be damaged at the same time.

You could by the enclosure but I would suggest buying the 2.5 inch hdd type because they are specifically made a lot more solid and can sustain being dropped a lot more than your normal HDD.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

So, I rather back up on a reliable drive.
    Thanks

There's isn't one. The most reliable backup you can have is by duplicating it to multe mediums. One of them will last.
    Thanks

Yes, but the chances of having a reliable back up go way up when you're duplicating to reliable media.

I can duplicate my documents to 10 different cd-r's, but I don't consider that a backup. Sure, most likely 1 of those 10 will hold up, but with my luck and experience they'll all 10 croak before I need my backup again. Hoping that one will last is a bad business model imho.
    It has happened to me before, dozens of times with dvd-rs1 and even with drives, so I rather spend that 15 dollars more on a good hdd and an enclosure rather than getting a generic external one. I believe that if your backup isn't worth that much, you probably don't really need it backed up anyway.

Just my two cents.

1: Only last month I found a whole box of old dvd-r's. I think that I was unable to read at least half of them. I was really surprised as they were in mint condition, no scratches, nothing. And they have been untouched for a few years, almost fresh from the dvd writer into the secure holding box.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 13.04.15 at 18:43.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

so I rather spend that 15 dollars more on a good hdd and an enclosure rather than getting a generic external one.
    I never said he should buy the cheapest drive of all. Buy the best but have also other options at hand. Even the most expensive components will sometimes break.

Let's make a list shall we?
    PC
    External HDD
    USB Memory
    Dropbox

Hardware dead? Data is in cloud. See my point here? What you've got, and suggesting is a single-point of failure. If the PC is dead, the external HDD represents single-point of failure. If he accidentally drops it, he's screwed.

At home I have this
    Main PC --> Secondary PC
    |
    |
    Laptop

The laptop is running a clone of the original main PC. If it goes down, an exact dupplicate exists.
    The secondary PC contains everything all data from main.

Small stuff like keepass db's, doscument scans, important data exist in USB sticks, smartphone, dropbox and skydrive.
    Whatever happens, I'm always covered.

Each of these are synched every day.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 13.04.15 at 19:00.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

I've said "duplicating" multiple times. That is per definition not a single point of failure.
    Nevermind
    Last edited by Sazzy; 13.04.15 at 19:24.
    Thanks

Man, I just love Lana Del Ray. Wish she would come to me so we could both kill ourselves.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki, Lana Del Ray
    was the fifth best-selling album of 2012.
    As of July 2014, Ultraviolence has sold more than one million copies worldwide
    she's a mainstream superstar, cashing in on depressive music/songs/feelings - not to be confused with 'suicidal'

intelligent = trying to better or improve oneself or one's situation
    lacking intelligence = suicide, giving up, throwing away or disrespecting what you already have, additional karmic burden
    Thanks

21. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (14.04.15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 392 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast