+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coup d'etat in Egypt - military says it has ousted Morsi; crowds celebrate in Cairo

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab
    because he repeatedly abused his position, only cared about his party fellows and failed at economy.
    +1

on the other hand, just about every president/prime minister qualifies regarding the above quote, yet we don't see many protests of this size, seems citizens of other countries just got used to it (desensitized)

Quote Originally Posted by Megaplex
    so you telling me that there was a vote done by people and the result of that vote was executed by military?
    never heard of such a thing.

There are supporter of Mohamed Morsi and there are ones who are against him, and letting military decide what good for the people is not democracy in any shape or form.
    +1

military intervention should be reserved for emergencies only - 1 year of lame politics is definitely not a valid reason, the proper way would be to arrange signing of a petition asking for a 'recall election' (referendum) or wait till the end of his term

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos
    The Egyptian people have failed, they only proved that they are easy to manipulate, don't understand ANYTHING about democracy.

I never saw the day I'd accept a Zionist's comment on CNN where he said: "Democracy just doesn't work for Arab countries",
    This is a straight military coup, the international communities should ban Egypt from future activites, block their memeberships, and block their citizens from visiting Egypt, and label the militray as traitors.
    - easy to manipulate? this applies globally to any nation
    - depending on the implementation & those that use it, democracy can range from pretty good to pretty awful, generally & globally it tends to be (much) closer to the latter
    - that zionist's comment translated means: 'they haven't been sufficiently tamed yet', notice that he is ridiculing democracy & arabs all in one sentence
    - the international communities have their own interests in this, however these are far from being benign or well-meant regarding the average egyptian citizens
    - other than that, methinks the above quote might have been just a rant, in the heat of the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Tattah
    I don't understand how some people defend for Morsi after one year of failure !! he didn't do ANYTHING at all !! and we have to respect who doesn't respect us at all also ?!!
    maybe he was going to do grand things after becoming a pharaoh?

because the economy got much worse while he was in charge.
    regarding the economy, seems it was an inherited problem (at least a few years back) and the IMF was involved in making things harder for him (extortion, foreign influence, getting set-up to fail), plus there was much local criminal activity in the transitional period, not to mention it is rather suspicious when prices suddenly go crazy (smells of foreign or domestic foul play, intentional negligence) - however, its not really an excuse, ie. he had to try harder

i would of course be happy for all people there if they got a government that honors democracy and cares about all groups of citizens
    so in other words, a utopia?
    every government honors democracy as much as it suits their goals, as long as it can be sufficiently exploited without greater public unrest (ie. their tendency would be to choose the worst democracy implementation possible in this sense) - governments don't care about their citizens, they care about the power of governance, their own position, benefits of that position, voter percentages, political campaigns, demagogy, popularity, PR image,..., the continuous increase and sophistication of the aforementioned - to them, the citizens are mostly a nuisance (voting hassle), mere numbers, tools or sheeple in desperate need of a shepherd - also, governments are a mirror of the societies from which they came from, their own unhealthy attitudes, practices and goals reflecting the overall unhealthiness of those societies

Quote Originally Posted by supermarrioh
    Accordign to my informations the Opposition had enough Supporters to initiate legitimate Re-Elections, am I wrong?
    source?
    afaik there was no petition, no signing, just massive protests (probably not a spontaneous occurrence) and the military decided to grab the opportunity seizing the leading position by force, ie. execute a coup, pretending to work on behalf of (the will of) the people - only now, after the fact, they are trying to paint this move as something democratic or necessary or justified
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (10.07.13)

Thank you guys for your replies.

It seems we are all locked into some thinking and don't want to change:
    ('Military coup theorists' VS 'Deserved out throw even though it's anti-what-I-first-countries-brag-about-that-is-democracy theorists')

'beauty' of politics kicks here I guess.

I'm out of words and probably 'outnumbered', I will however wait for the "told ya" moment.

I am cheatos

Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (11.07.13)

Just one word .. There is failure that economy can bear and there is the failure that can totally destroy the country !!

what do you think was the kind of failure that Morsi did ?!!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    It seems we are all locked into some thinking and don't want to change
    sure, though good arguments (and a healthy dosage of openmindedness) may change that

I will however wait for the "told ya" moment.
    not sure to what exact statement does this refer to

Quote Originally Posted by Tattah
    economy ... what do you think was the kind of failure that Morsi did ?!!
    he wasn't able to stop, let alone reverse, the failing (of) economy, a process which was heavily under way during the last days...years of the mubarak regime - the protests then and now also contributed to the failing process, the coup as well (simply because they increased instability in the region) - the question is, does the opposition even have some serious economic plans or are they just trying to grab some power while they still have a chance

another unusual topic is the disproportionately large influence/share of the military, both regarding political power and even economic power (seems they are able to run business(es) just like some company would, whats more, they basically have a monopoly in many industrial fields, even in tourism, plus they get yearly grants from the usa, we're talking billions of $ here), so they definitely have some heavy conflicts of interests here and you can bet they won't give-up that power so easily

other than that, this could be a case of: 'let them sink as deep as possible', after which foreign 'saviors' arrive bearing 'gifts', since when you're close to the bottom, every straw looks very promising/attractive
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12