+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fedora 18

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Fedora 18

I am sure that many of you have probably heard of Fedora18 before as it's been out for quite some time. I decided to install this OS as a persistant system on my laptop and make it all a quad-boot laptop. What I really like about this system is it's plain elegance. I also like how quick it is on my laptop. It's unreal. One of the characteristics I became aware of is the UEFI Secure Boot. So if you have Windows as one of your OS in a dual, tri, or quad-boot system, this is advantageous. Secure Boot is also a benefit because it prevents malware from infecting a machine upon boot-up. From what I learned Ubuntu/Canonical only sign the bootloader. Not the kernal. Fedora signs the kernal. That is a good thing.

One other thing I noticed is how quick the install took. It was over in minuites. Literally. I was thoroughly and happily impressed.
    If you have other Linux distros on your system, you'll notice that Fedora takes over from how Grub normally looks like when you have installed Mint, or Ubuntu, or Peppermint, or some other distro. It's more pleasant to look at is what I'm wanting to say.

The Workspace feature that comes with this distro is very similar to Cinnamon's. Top left-corner.

One thing that didn't surprise me is the default Firefox install. Seems like all the distros have this. In a way, it's kind of disapointing but also somewhat expected. When I installed Peppermint, it was Chromium. Which was one of the rare one's that didn't have Firefox inspite of it's great customizability.

What I don't like about Fedora is the Software Mgr. I felt like it necessated the install of Yumex instead.

Get Fedora from here;

https://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Don't forget to join the forums on learning your new operating system, commands, and simple, ytet essential how-to's.
    Last edited by SealLion; 09.03.13 at 00:01.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (12.03.13) , ParamouR (10.03.13) , SBfreak (09.03.13) , BrianBosworth (09.03.13)

+ Reply to Thread