+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nokia 105: £13 mobile phone with a battery that lasts 35 DAYS on a single charge :)

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773

Arrow Nokia 105: £13 mobile phone with a battery that lasts 35 DAYS on a single charge :)

Nokia 105: Finnish company launches new £13 mobile phone with a battery that lasts 35 DAYS on a single charge

Nokia 105 aimed at the mobile market in the developing world, but is likely to be a success in the west too as a back-up for smart phones.

Nokia has launched a new mobile phone that needs charging less than once a month and costs just £13 to buy.

The Nokia 105 is a basic text-and-call phone aimed at mobile markets in the developing world where electricity sources may be scarce or unreliable, but it is likely to prove a hit in the west too as a back-up or emergency device.

The 105, which is set to go on sale in the next few weeks, comes with a full-colour screen, torch and FM radio, and can obviously make phone calls and send and receive SMS messages too.

But the key feature of the new Nokia is its incredible battery life which, according to the Finnish company’s press spokesperson Pekka Haverinen, is around 35 days on a single charge.

That feature will prove useful in the developing world, where intermittent electricity sources mean mobile phones cannot be regularly or reliably charged for weeks at a time.

It will also surely attract western smart phone users who, despite enjoying the high-tech apps and features of their more expensive devices, regularly complain of unpredictable battery drain leaving a fully charged phone dead in well-under 24 hours.

Complex apps and functions causing crashes and requiring resets are also a common reliability problem with many top-selling devices.

As a result, an increasing number of smart phone users are opting to carry cheap and technologically basic ‘back-up phones’.

These simple devices can be better relied on not to crash in an emergency, and their relative lack of features means battery life is usually days not hours.

The 105 marks the latest attempt by Nokia to dominate the ultra-low cost-focussed developing mobile market, having lost ground to Samsung and Apple in the smart phone sector in recent years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nokia-phone.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	13913  
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (02.03.13) , SBfreak (01.03.13) , anon (01.03.13) , BrianBosworth (01.03.13)

This is replacing my S5360. Can't wait for it to ship.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Reminds me of my old Nokia 1112. No frills feature-wise, and the I've had the battery on that thing last nearly two weeks. If the price is the same or not terribly higher in my country, I will buy one too. I don't really use any of the fancy things my Chinese iPhone has.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    i'm kinda thinking this is a non-story - just a hi cell lithium battery - our old phones which lasted 2 weeks on one charge used ni-cad batteries, so on that basis, they would last longer than 2 weeks using a new lithium. combine that with low power consumption on the hardware side and low power drags on the software side, and you have this.

basically, core battery technology has barely progressed since the 1970s. the company/inventor that actually develops something new is going to make a lot of money and be in the history books.

methinks nokia needs some good press. hell, any press.

nice to have as a backup gsm handset though (i very much doubt it supports asian/3g networks).
    Last edited by takomania; 03.03.13 at 10:13.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rtorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss392
    Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    basically, core battery technology has barely progressed since the 1970s.
    Battery technology has barely progressed since the 1910s. Back then a lot of E-Cars were driving around and most people thought that fuel cars wouldn't be a technology to stay because they polluted the air so hard.
    I went to an exhibition and took a few fotos... This is one of them. And knowing that, I got a shadow of a doubt if battery technology will progress the next few years. Of course everyone is praising Lithium-Air batteries but they are dangerous as fuck and because of that not a good choice for e-cars...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    Quote Originally Posted by leus View Post
    Battery technology has barely progressed since the 1910s.
    true! i didn't want to get too technical though (which i can) and have to deal with nay-sayers!
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread