Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Review] The Pirate Society

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

[Review] The Pirate Society

Hey folks. I thought that I might post my very first review of a site. TPS is not a torrent tracker per se but a discussion board much like sb-i. Though I feel that TPS is quite unique in a couple of features that I am quite impressed by.

The site is an invite only bit-torrent related discussion board. Before I begin presenting TPS, there are a couple of disclaimers that I would like to 1st take care of.

(1) If a user from TPS in an official capacity from there reads this review and demands that I remove my review because of some privacy concern. Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. People have the right to information.
    (2) Besides, I have the right to freedom of expression. Even on the Internet. I am exercising my right and liberty to freely express my self by giving this review. I am mentioning this b/c I know 1st hand that historically tracker staff come here demanding removal of the offending review. I find such a demand quite absurd actually. Besides, I am shedding your review in a positive light.

This is going to be a bit of a lengthy review because (1) in it you might find some expression of personal opinion and (2) because there's a lot of pictures here showing the inside of the forum. I figured you folks that are not there might like to know a bit more of what's what and where it all is. You'll have to also excuse my sense of privacy throughout the pics given here. Some things throughout the board such as current, new members, personal profile, etc are blurred or blanked out. I like my privacy and it's no-one's business from TPS who presented this review.

Enjoy.

Also, I had a bit of a problem uploading images to my albums. For some reason I couldn't get them to be uploaded to a particular album in my profile. Might be b/c of some browser setting. I'll get around to fixing it later. Nevertheless....

Here is the Home page of the board. You'll see that there's some similarity to what we here on sb-i have on the Home page as well. Articles.

Some more pics.
    Board stats shown in pic.

They also have a Radio section on the board. This is the place where board DJs give notice of their platforms, times, and other radio related events. Cool stuff, I think and as I briefly mentioned above, another of the unique ways that TPS keeps it's userbase active and interested.

You will see that they have a contest section inside the board. Trackers have such things too as you might be aware. I still think such things are a neat and unique way for sites to garner activity from it's userbase. IMO, such activities keep people active and interested in discussion boards. TPS is no exception. According to my own personal experience, userbase is quite active on TPS.

TPS also has groups for users to join. The function of these should be obvious. To show that you are a member of some group that doesn't really do much other than to just show that there are groups on TPS. Functionality on TPS for groups, in my mind don't do much. Regardless, the number of existing groups is pretty small as you can see.

Here is the Help section.

The events section as well as a closer look at the events section in the 2nd pic below this 1st one

As we explore further throughout TPS, you'll see a community rep section as part of the board. I really like such ideas as these give platforms to ask, comment, and discuss what-ever is on a user's mind.

This next section below is where community reps recruit TPS members.

Another screen shot of the same.

This is the iSpy for TPS.

The drop down menu of the user profile. I like drop down menus as these do make navigation a bit more convenient for the user.
    Again, excuse my sense of privacy.

And finally, we log out of the board....,

Hope you enjoyed this.
    Last edited by SealLion; 16.09.12 at 03:56.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

crystal (27.09.12) , Blocker (23.09.12) , Jordan (17.09.12) , saebrtooth (16.09.12) , Instab (16.09.12) , takomania (16.09.12) , jockey (16.09.12) , anon (16.09.12) , Master Razor (16.09.12) , BrianBosworth (16.09.12)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss451
    Don't they have an invite section where you can get an invite to other trackers? I heard in another thread that they give out invites to higher level threads very easily.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6660
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Don't they have an invite section where you can get an invite to other trackers? I heard in another thread that they give out invites to higher level threads very easily.
    how about that part of the review:
    This next section below is where community reps recruit TPS members.
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (18.09.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    Yup. You betcha. That's right. The recruitment section of the board is where a user can pick up invites and be a member of what-ever tracker. I should make you aware now that there are different recruitment sections on the board. If all your there for are just to grab some invites from tracker X and that's all, you'll never be able to reach the other higher class recruitment sections intended for user classes that have been promoted. The promotion is a bit unique IMO because it relies on users receiving points from their fellow members. If all a new recruit does is post in spam type of talk, believe me that new recruit won't get anywhere and so of course will his/her opportunities for getting to other recruitment sections that are for other user class persons.

Have a look at the pic below. It gives you an example of what I mean.

See where it says that you need 5 positive ratings?? Those ratings come from your peers if you want to become Shipmate class and get additional views of recruitment sub forums on the board. The solution: Get involved in the place. And I don't mean posting spam related posts because a user's peers can see through that. The place is fairly active as I"ve mentioned earlier. Lot's of discussions and debates going on.

Now to answer your other question on 'ease of getting an invite', the answer I guess is 'yes'. I really like TPS. It's a great board IMHO. Find an invite to the place from somewhere and enjoy your stay there.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss451
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    Well I thought that by recruitment, they mean that that they want staff members and moderators My bad.

Now this is one site where we can't cheat, or does anyone have any cheating tool to increase points. :-)

Also how does an existing user get an invite so that he can invite others?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss2
    Well I thought that by recruitment, they mean that that they want staff members and moderators My bad.

Now this is one site where we can't cheat, or does anyone have any cheating tool to increase points. :-)

I thought like you
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

I don't think I quite understand. How do you want or expect to cheat on posting?? I think you must be talking about cheating on torrents, yes?? Not posting. TPS isn't really a tracker. It's a discussion board. I believe I may have briefly mentioned that earlier.

I think that this might help. I have here a screen shot of one of the rules pertaining/in regard to what you said above. Actually, I should remind myself to post all the rules for all viewers fairly soon if anyone is interested, that is. If you would like to see the rules which are quite extensive at TPS, please do let me know.

Pretty basic rule set for something like this. This isn't uncommon, I suppose.
    Last edited by SealLion; 19.09.12 at 01:48.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

Jordan (19.09.12)

P2P Client
    rtorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss392
    They're handing out invites every once in a while but there is also a interview you can make. You can find it if you search for it...

Btw. has anyone made it to Pirate, Captain and such stuff? The best invite I got there was to PTP before they completely closed their invites and recruitments.
    So I'm wondering what you can get there in the higher level forums. I know the DB9 and most of the interesting recruitments I've seen so far (SceneHD etc.) are either abandoned or stopped. Don't get me wrong it's still not bad to be a member there, you can get into x264 and other good trackers but the really rare and high level stuff? Dunno.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6660
    Quote Originally Posted by leus View Post
    Don't get me wrong it's still not bad to be a member there, you can get into x264 and other good trackers but the really rare and high level stuff? Dunno.
    sometimes you do get a shot at a high level site there
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss533
    This forum is useless when it comes to getting invites because most of the trackers are listed on the non-movement list.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6660
    Quote Originally Posted by THC View Post
    most of the trackers are listed on the non-movement list.
    that sounds interesting. could you tell more about that list?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss533
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	125 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	13604

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	112 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	13605

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	13606
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	125 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	13604

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	112 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	13605

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	13606
    Those screenshots in a nutshell (for those who have images disabled):
    1: approximately 50% of private trackers in existence are not allowed to be given away
    2: wen you get to captani u cn requesast ftn!!!!11111111111
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss533
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    1: approximately 50% of private trackers in existence are not allowed to be given away
    All the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    2: wen you get to captani u cn requesast ftn!!!!11111111111
    You must make tps your second life to get to captain. A sort of a no-lifer. Don't forget that you can request TL if you're a captain.
    Last edited by THC; 28.09.12 at 14:48.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Don't forget that you can request TL if you're a captain.
    TL was great before they changed their design to their current horrendous one. I first got invited in 2007 and used it a lot (in fact, that's how I got into cheating - using it a lot from a 16KB/s upload connection), then lost the account due to inactivity. When I managed to get in again two years later I was pretty excited. I even made dupes so that I'd never lose access again. Then they changed the design and I said to hell with it.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast