+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazon Prime’s Ads Have Arrived Since January 29th

Amazon Prime’s Ads Have Arrived Since January 29th

Amazon has switched over to running ads on its Prime Video streaming service since January 29th.

The company sent out an email to users after Christmas, detailing the introduction of ads and the option to pay an additional $2.99 per month for an ad-free plan.

While the exact number of ads to be shown on the ad-supported tier remains unknown, Amazon claims there will be fewer ads compared to linear TV and other streaming providers.

Prime Video was one of the last major services to adopt ad-supported streaming, with Apple TV Plus being the sole major player which still has not made the change.

Source: - https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/26/...ing-january-29

Question for Amazon Prime users: - Have you started to see ads while using the service?
    Last edited by cloud99; 31.01.24 at 12:22.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (03.02.24)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    So now you have to pay extra to not see ads?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

I don't use these types of services but I think all streaming platforms have implemented ads. The logic being, whenever someone does something, all the others copy the behavior. I think Netflix and Disney already have ads in their services.
    Thanks

How long until ad-blocking become considered piracy?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2066
    It seems they can't get greedy enough.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Any form of theft is considered piracy. By blocking ads, you block their revenue. They can also frame this as a legal problem, since you are given a service as-is, and you change it, without permission. There are many loop-holes they can pass through. But what I find truly distasteful is that humans create solutions for problems that they themselves create. So.. whatever works now, will no longer in a year from now because it will be turned to shit. I'm starting to believe that nothing that is being done today is actually worth doing due to the fact that its life is very short. The idea of a subscription is get acquainted with the service, and gradually implement small changes so that you'll not notice and continue paying for premium-yet-shit-like services.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 01.02.24 at 21:44.
    Thanks

Forgive me being that old guy, but I remember when cable tv main advantage was not having commercial breaks during the shows (only between them).
    It feels like a loop.
    Internet became the new radio.

While I appreciate and use much of the tinkering to make things barely supportable on the user side (addons, blockers, proxies, etc), It feels like the only solution would be well written laws heavily regulating these services.

Reading myself, looks like it is a lost cause to even try to start with it.
    Thanks

It's gotten to the point where you cannot even browse the internet without an adblocker. It's completely destroyed. And on top of this, the internet is just 4-5 websites. They effectively made it such that all the traffic is funneled through these large sites. Think about: it doesn't make sense to put ads where there's is no traffic. Small sites have no ads, these are not easily found by search engines. Every query you make, redirects to large sites such as reddit, twitter, facebook.. Take a look for example at this: http://mycalcdb.free.fr/
    Look at the simplicity of it. HTML-only, plain text, so clean and fast.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 02.02.24 at 04:59.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I think Netflix and Disney already have ads in their services.
    I'm sure that Netflix has it as I use a relative's account while travelling to entertain myself and often see ads. Can't say the same about Disney, as I don't use that service.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    It's gotten to the point where you cannot even browse the internet without an adblocker.
    I don't know whether you know that there are browsers that come with in-built adblockers such as Brave. You don't need to install addon or additional softwares to block the ads.

Here are link to more browsers that block ads : - https://lifehacker.com/the-best-brow...ome-1835130559
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloud99 View Post
    I don't know whether you know that there are browsers that come with in-built adblockers such as Brave. You don't need to install addon or additional softwares to block the ads.

Here are link to more browsers that block ads : - https://lifehacker.com/the-best-brow...ome-1835130559
    I am aware.
    I was just saying that everything done today is pointless. In my country we have a saying, a rough translation would be: "One man is hammering a nail, and another comes and removes it." So, one person builds something, and another tears it down. The question that comes to my mind is why?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 05.02.24 at 06:58.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread