P2P Client
    vuze extreme mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss15

how to make linux based os work on msi gt780r computer

Hello,

I was having problems booting linux mint live cd with my computer and I solved it using boot parameters. I found two solutions:

how to add boot parameters: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters
    (parameters must be added just before "--")

solution 1 (best): use the parameter "nomodeset"

solution 2: use "noapic" and "acpi=off" together but the the os does not shutdown correctly.

I hope it will help people.
    Last edited by isabella; 07.04.12 at 18:49.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (07.04.12) , SBfreak (07.04.12)

This is a general problem most "out of the box with fancy installer" distros have.nouveau isn't as good as the proprietary driver atm.
    Also nouveau doesn't fully support all cards and depending on what version comes with the distro you may experience some problems depending on your hardware.
    More info here:
    nouveau Wiki - FeatureMatrix
    It's best to install the proprietary driver asap.
    Thanks

nouveau
    I just detest this thing, this is one of the most useless projects (yes, there various useless linux projects out there, but this one earns the Golden Fail badge, second winner with the Silver Fail badge would be Unity),
    Why on earth approve something super incomplete for productive use?

: we're freeing you from evil Nvidia
    Me: wtf? I bought an Nvidia card because its super good
    noes, we open-source trolls want to compile something, we LOVE them endless compile terminals!

---
    Now on topic:
    I use linux in a VM, the place that suits Linux the best, though thanks for the hint!
    Last edited by cheatos; 07.04.12 at 21:15.

I am cheatos

Thanks

Nouveau will eventually replace nvidia because they have no plans to support wayland.
    An open source alternative is always a good thing in my book even if it sucks.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SBfreak View Post
    Nouveau will eventually replace nvidia because they have no plans to support wayland.
    Because I don't follow linux, this is good to know, so Nouveau will be shoved down our throats...
    but after reading some articles,
    I think its the same, "Nvidia has no plans to support wayland (now)", when did we get property Linux drivers? after some time right?

An open source alternative is always a good thing in my book even if it sucks.
    I really doubt that, for what? I mean why would I even use it ?

I am cheatos

Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

(18.01.22)

I think you're looking at it from a negative perspective.
    Open Source development can't be stagnated because of nvidia.If they're are going to support wayland good for us,if not good for us.
    Also nouveau is great for other open source initiatives like Haiku,Minix,BSDs,Solarises and other small projects.
    In time nvidia will drop support for older cards,what will you use on old machines then?
    Last edited by SBfreak; 08.04.12 at 02:38.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (08.04.12)

+ Reply to Thread