+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ghostleech vs. Stealth

Ghostleech vs. Stealth

While browsing threads here, I've seen many references to ghostleeching. One said that it may be safer than using stealth mode. For the past 4+ years, I've relied almost entirely on µTorrent stealth mods and, more recently, µSerenity configured to be in stealth mode, but I've started to question doing so. I understand the finer points of both methods and how to successfully use them with µSerenity, but still have a few questions.

1. Of the two, which is less likely to get me banned?

2. Are there any specific trackers where one is preferable to the other?

3. Are there any instances* where one is preferable to the other? (* - e.g. downloading large packs or very small files)

4. Anything else that's worth knowing?

Thanks for any and all insight that you can provide.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

stealth is the same as ghostleeching.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfucker View Post
    stealth is the same as ghostleeching.
    Similar? Yes. The same? No. From my µSerenity settings:

Stealth:
    * Shown as leecher
    * No report download
    * No report upload
    * No report corrupt
    * Don't announce completed event

Ghost:
    * Shown as leecher
    * No report download
    * No report upload
    * No report corrupt
    * Connect to tracker just once to grab peers

Take note of the italicized parts. Stealth continues to stay connected to the tracker while ghostleeching is a one and done.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (28.08.12)

yeah, just the usual confusion with the names...

stealth was (since ~2003) the method, where you remove the passkey after connecting to the tracker. nowadays its called ghostleeching.

* Shown as leecher
    * No report download
    * No report upload
    * No report corrupt
    * Don't announce completed event
    this one was always called no report (no report leecher with 0% finished, no report seeder with 100% finished).
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (13.08.13) , Renk (28.08.12)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by Interface View Post
    1. Of the two, which is less likely to get me banned?

3. Are there any instances* where one is preferable to the other? (* - e.g. downloading large packs or very small files)
    I've always seen ghostleeching as being safer than no report, for the very reason you mentioned - ghostleeching involves a single announce to the tracker and no further contact. It's less suspicious than being at 0% with no traffic forever, although it can depend on the specific tracker, etc.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (28.08.12)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfucker View Post
    yeah, just the usual confusion with the names...
    Evidently, there was a shift in nomenclature and no one sent me the memo. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I've always seen ghostleeching as being safer than no report ... although it can depend on the specific tracker, etc.
    I, too, have come to believe that ghostleeching is safer than stealth no report leecher, but am intrigued by the last part of your post. When you say that it depends on the specific tracker, etc., would you please elaborate on that? Instead of me posting the list of trackers I use regularly (which would be a gigantic risk on my part), are there any sites in particular that come to mind?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    are there any sites in particular that come to mind?
    Not particularly, and it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be banned either, it's just not a very good idea to do that sort of thing.
    Thanks

Pardon the late reply, but life drew my attention elsewhere.

Another question: Is ghostleeching on What a really bad idea? I've heard that it works on Waffles, but can't find any direct info on its usefulness on What.

For the record, I did search, but didn't get any useful results. I've always found vBulletin's search function lacking, so it's no surprise.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Another question: Is ghostleeching on What a really bad idea?
    The last things I've heard say you will get banned if you overuse it. 1-2 albums may be okay.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

Interface (03.03.12)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The last things I've heard say you will get banned if you overuse it. 1-2 albums may be okay.
    I'm trying to replace all my V0 stuff with FLAC, so that kinda counts me out. Dammit.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss6
    stealth leeching, in my opinion, shouldn't even be called stealth leeching, neither should ghost leeching. TRUE stealth/ghost leech will not add your torrent to the tracker snatchlist. Think about it, stealth/ghost means you can't be seen, but if a snatchlist says you downloaded a torrent, you're being seen.

If we can somehow make it so that our torrents aren't added to the snatchlist, there will be no need for fakeupload/noUpload/noDownload. Sure, if the tracker mods decide to investigate your account and see that you've been a member for quite some time but not downloaded or uploaded anything they might get suspicious. The answer to that is to make A LOT of QUALITY forum posts. They will see that you are very active in the community and leave you alone.
    Thanks

snatchlist != peerlist. you won't appear in the snatchlist with ghostleeching, stelth leeching or even with no report.

but there is no way to bypass the peerlist. with
    - noreport you will be the whole time in the peerlist
    - stealth (as described in #4) you will appear for about 30 minutes
    - ghostleeching (as implemented in vem (start&stop)) you could reduce the time to a minimum of ~2 seconds

The answer to that is to make A LOT of QUALITY forum posts. They will see that you are very active in the community and leave you alone.
    but you would also draw a lot of attention with your forum posts, which is not the way a cheater should go. there is a simple rule for ghostleechers: shut the fuck up and just download your stuff :)
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

drean (09.01.21) , austinpowers (28.01.15) , Lucius (13.08.13) , saebrtooth (22.08.12)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss3
    Quite old topic I know :) .

There is even better method, but it's very limited. You can log peers ip:port and manually add them later to another torrent without announcing to tracker even once. There's a chance that some of them will be seeding the torrent you are trying to leech. It is often true for seedboxes which are easily spotted and doesn't change IP or port often. Of course seedboxes are prime targets because of their high upload speed.

Additionally on some private sites there are info-hashes displayed in a torrent descriptions. By using it as a magnet link you could bypass downloading torrent file completely, so there will be no trace other than viewing torrent description. In order for this to work you'll need to manually add ip:port addresses gathered before to unresolved magnet link, because obviously there won't be any peers found through DHT. Some clients will send torrent info dictionary even if it is a private one, most notably rTorrent does this, which is very good because it's a popular seedbox client .
    Last edited by guest; 27.05.13 at 23:31.
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (13.08.13) , Blazedneg (06.08.13) , anon (07.06.13) , system28 (28.05.13) , ghostfucker (28.05.13)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss376
    Quote Originally Posted by ledhalen View Post
    The answer to that is to make A LOT of QUALITY forum posts. They will see that you are very active in the community and leave you alone.
    That's how they see you you dumb ass.
    They can't check 10s of thousands of users that's why they use scripts but if you are always on the freakin' forum all the time they might get curious or accidentally click on your username & then check your history .
    & guess what loud mouth chatters are the 1st to get booted doesn't matter if your cheater or not .If you like to chat a lot get VIP/donor.The mods , VIPs & supershitmembers & special status like to feel smart in the forum it doesn't matter if your right or you prove you are right to anybody.
    Thanks

21. Who Said Thanks:

drean (09.01.21) , austinpowers (11.04.17)

+ Reply to Thread